Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear changes so my hammerdin can solo ubers?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by thowix, Jul 26, 2010.

1. thowix

thowix IncGamers Member

Gear changes so my hammerdin can solo ubers?

Ok I made a hammerdin with 1 point in fana, 1 in salv, etc. My question is... can i solo the ubers if I switch my gear up? Or should i have to reskill to 20 smite/20 fana?

Anyways, his gear is...

Ber/-req jewel coa
    enigma
    2x 10 fcr rings
    15dr dungos
    waterwalks
    spirit shield
    trangs
    maras

I also have a griefz in stash, so i guess that would be the preferred weapon? I have no clue at anything else, I just know he needs crushing blow/lifetap

Help please?

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Gear changes so my hammerdin can solo ubers?

If only there were threads on 1 point smiters :).

TLDR version
    yes u can, just rt*m :thumbup:.

3. whyhack

whyhack Banned

This is easy for a hammerdin.
    Steps :
    1. respec, put skills as follows
    20 smite, 20 holy shield, 20 fanaticsm, 1 point salvation (meph), rest of the skills where you like (could put into defiance for HS synergy) or you could do the 1pt smiter variation
    2. change out a couple pieces of gear
    gface, highlords, vexile, coh, dungos, gores, greif/lw, dracs, ravenfrostx2

your hammerdin should succesfully be able to do ubers now

4. Shanksie1337

^ ROFL

how is it "easy for a hammerdin" if all you do is make him not a hammerdin?

Yes, it's easy for a Paladin, but that wasn't exactly the question.

5. whyhack

whyhack Banned

yea that was kind of the point, just make a smiter even a cheap one can do ubers better than a hammerdin :thumbup:

6. SaintX

SaintX IncGamers Member

I agree. my hdin pushes out about 14k and im sorry but there is no way!! he could uber..he can barely kill the ubers for the organs to get to tristram. if u want to uber just make a smiter or a gg zealot i guess..i just dnt see the point in wasting skill points on that when you can just make another char and keep ur hdin

7. Shanksie1337

No, you're missing the point of the thread, a hdin can be a 1 point smiter without a respec, just a change of gear, ie smiting, not hammering. It's not "the best" but it certainly can be done if you don't have the time/inclination to level up a dedicated smiter / kicker / wolf.

20 BH
    20 BA
    20 Vigor
    20 Conc
    1 Smite / Holy Bolt / Charge / Might / Prayer / Defiance / Cleansing / Redemption / Salvation
    Rest into Holy Shield
    ^ ie standard Hdin skills

plus 1 Sacrifice & 1 Zeal

Is 91 skill points, which leaves plenty to get Holy Shield to a decent level, all you are really doing is "wasting" the 2 skill points in sacrifice & zeal to give you some extra utility.

Don't get me wrong, i use a hdin for mf, and a smiter for UT, I'm certainly not going to faff about swapping gear / charms etc, not to mention the fact that without the enigma the hdin has like 0 str :whistling:.

The original question was "will a gear switch enable my hdin to do ubers" and the answer to this is "yes".

Would I do it, no. Clearly you wouldn't either :D.

8. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

You guys saying you have to respec to run Uber Tristram are speading false information. I'm too lazy to re-type it, so here is my reply to a previous thread:

9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Instead of using smite with lifetap combo do you guys think it will be possible to do ubers with hammer? I mean I know from fact it looks totally possible and I heard people did do ubers with hammer before even meph. I know I sound crazy but its a worth a try getting back up resist and light sorb.

10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

No. They regen too much and there's no survivability.

11. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

You never heard of full rejuvs? Well I know a hammerdin can solo diablo clone if they are sturdy enough. Thats totally possible because the other ubers are easy to take out with hammer its just lilith and meph you need good survivability and keep using full rejuvs.

12. Frostadin

Full rejuvenations without Life Tap in Uber Tristram are like a bandaid on a severed limb. Yeah, better than nothing, but not even close to saving you. You can try it, but make sure you try it with an empty experience bar.

13. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I seen hammerdins solo uber tristram with hammer before but not many do it so its not well known from. Or people just want to criticize and act mean about it. What a horrible D2 community. I did solo uber baal with a hammerdin once when I was bored but I needed to full rejuv a lot but that was my hammerdin not at my best.

14. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

I didn't see criticism up there minus, i saw people who are very familiar with running ubers and the challenges thereof, and were giving experienced based advice.

Plus whats with the changing story? your first post was asking if it was doable, and you stated that you heard about it, now your saying you did it? you may want to get your story straight before calling people out on the table.

the problem with Ubers and a caster is regeneration...your's, AND the ubers. Yes, reju'vs exists, i've used them before. but you only have so many in your belt. And the clock your trying to beat is the ubers regen. They regenerate so fast that unless you have some form of open wounds, they will regenerate faster then you can put the damage out. I'd love to see someone on a vid hammering meph and surviving on a belt of rejuv's. prob wont happen tho. cause by the time you run out of rejuv's, and

there have been some wild builds doing ubers (I've seen a melee sorc do it), but the sorc was MELEE...using life tap. open wounds. crushing blow. and diablo is the easiest of the 3 to take down...so having a hammerdin take down BigD isnt the same thing as taking down meph or baal. now, if you could show me a vid of a hammerdin taking down meph, I'm all ears.

15. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I just stated that my hammerdin soloed uber baal for fun. But that was it. I did not say I did the others but I seen some people solo ubers with hammer. Well look up a video yourself. You should be able to find one.

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

The merc hits Meph and Baal with OW...

EDIT: Oh yeah, didn't show one I found >> Not good to comment on it and not link XD

17. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Yeah and done in 2007 and people still do not believe its true. Now picture that for a minute.

18. Jake the Quinceeater

Jake the Quinceeater IncGamers Member

I used to disagree with people who suggested that defeating Uber Tristram with a hammerdin was not viable. Before patch 1.13, a decent hammerdin had enough damage to defeat all six Ubers except Uber Izual and enough survivability to defeat all six Ubers providing it had the stacked resistances to counter Mephisto's Conviction aura. My hammerdin defeated Uber Tristram with little difficulty.

With 1.13, however, Blessed Hammer became subject to the Ubers' 75% magical resistance. I suspect that it is now only possible for a hammerdin to solo the Ubers (by which I mean a paladin killing the Ubers using Blessed Hammer) using a Mercenary or summonable with poison damage or open wounds to prevent the Ubers from regenerating, though I haven't experimented extensively.

19. Frostadin

This is why a Hammerdin is no longer valid as an Uber killer. Here are the numbers:

Ubers regenerate about 16,113 hit points per second, or 966,796 per minute.

Level 50 (+30 all skills) fully synergized Blessed Hammer damage is 19,962 on average. Couple that with 125% FCR and we get 3,353,616 damage per minute.

3,353,616 Hammer damage per minute x 25% (Ubers resist 75% of magical damage) = 838,404 hammer damage applied to Ubers per minute.

Ubers regenerate 966,796 per minute - 838,404 hammer damage applied to Ubers per minute means Ubers heal 128,392 more per minute than they get damaged.

Unless you stop the regen (apply Open Wounds or Poison) it is impossible to solo the Ubers with strictly a casting Hammerdin. Even if you could get to +30 all skills the damage itself still falls short.

Open Wounds once applied only lasts 8 seconds, which is far longer than the merc lasted in that video. You can revive your merc, Smite to apply the OW, or wear some gear that procs poison on struck, but you simply have to stop the regen in order to kill them with only hammers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  20. whyhack

whyhack Banned

The moment you put one point into smite and start smiting them down instead of using hammers is when that hammerdin becomes a smiter. You can't run ubers with just pure hammers and obviously you did respec/change up your skills to do ubers if you put that point into smite. In my post I said you could also try the 1 point smiter variation which is basically what your hammerdin is, a 1-point smiter.

In my post I was trying to convey that it is silly to change up your hammerdin if (unless you just want to do a couple runs) you want to have a dedicated uberer. The cost of a viable smiter is relatively cheap and if you had a hammerdin you could easily afford the gear/rushes. I think there is a guide somewhere on a inexpensive smiter.