Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gaz's Sept progress thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gaz, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Gaz's Sept progress thread

So, having recently restarted the game and getting to the point where I can create HC characters, I have decided that a Sept is a nice goal to aim for. I'll also try and complete a hardcore grail while I am doing this, but that's a secondary goal.

The Sept rules are fairly straightforward. Guardian one each of all 7 characters. (Nice and simple, although I've never made a guardian)
    No items can be twinked except those found by other sept characters. (not too much of an issue seeing as I haven't got any items at the moment anyway)
    Items carried by a character when they die are gone.
    Going to start off in vanilla 1.11b, but might use RRM and RWM.

That's about it. So, the current characters that are going to be built are:

Sorceress - Frozen Orb - Fireball sorc (by far my favourite build)
    Assassin - Lightning Trapsin (My furthest hardcore character ever back when I played before)
    Amazon - Lightning furyzon
    Necromancer - Fishymancer (Never had much luck with this build, but maybe things are going to change)
    Paladin - Hammerdin (may play as an avenger, but will depend what equipment I can find)
    Druid - Werebear (stun and high life)
    Barbarian - Concentrate (of course, if I find the IK set, I'll have to make this one a WW barb)

These may change depending on the things I find in the course of the journey

I started the sorceress this weekend, and have currently killed blood raven. Will either start the assassin, amazon or necromancer tonight, depending on how my day goes. (If it's a good day, I will be happy to sit back and let my minions kill for me. If not, I'll need to be laying the smack down)

Encouragement, advice and cries of you're an idiot, it'll never happen are all welcomed.

2. Psywire

Psywire IncGamers Member

Cool 7 Guardians! This will be great- you'll have to post us regular updates so we can see how your going.

I like you choice for builds-- how much damage are you intending your ForbBaller to do?
    (my cLvl94 Meteorb couldn't even kill the minions of d- had to get my cLvl80 Hammerdin in to get her to Mat)

Good luck with HC-- I hope it all goes well.

3. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

I've mat'd a Frozen orb/Firewall sorc before without too many problems, other than the ancients, so I'm not that worried about my ForbBaller, cant remember what the damage output was, but I think she was only level 85 or so.

4. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Good luck Gaz, you've picked some good build choices there so you should have a good chance of doing this, I'm hoping to complete my own Sept within a few weeks too :smiley:

Why? Just orb all the minions and if Lister happens to be FICI static him down and pin him against the wall with TK and let your merc do the work - I did it with a HC lvl 80 ish Hydra/Orb Sorc, far more underpowered than a Meteorb...

5. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

you teh uber nooblet do a septsept like all teh 1337 ppl lol :p

na good luck with it it sounds great fun and a good challange

6. SeeiN2StarS

SeeiN2StarS IncGamers Member

something ive always wanted to do....
    but im a lazy bum :)

7. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

So, having decided to do this thing I started up a Necro to keep my Sorc company. Two nice MF characters to get goodies for the rest of them.

Took my necro to level 20 and killed Andariel so 1 act down and 74 more to go.

Nothing really noteworthy found, although I did get a wand with +2 to raise skelly and skelly mastery and a head with +2 to skelly mastery, so those have helped a lot. Also found my first grail item, Stoutnail. So there too is 1 down and too many to count left.

So update:
    Character - Level - Last waypoint
    Sorc - 8 - Stony Plains
    Necro - 20 - Lut Gholein
    Zon - 1 - Rogue Encampment
    Barb - 1 - Rogue Encampment
    Druid - 1 - Rogue Encampment
    Pally - 1 - Rogue Encampment

Grail - sets 0/127 - Uniques - 1/377

8. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

Good luck Gaz. I've got my own in progress and had planned a thread like this to announce the first Guardian...unfortunately I committed suicide with my FireOrb Sorc in Act 3 Hell, but am doing ok with the Zon replacement.

All the best, great goal.

Butz. :dunce:

9. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

So decided to take the necromancer a little further. Seeing as I loathe act 3 and thought I'd have trouble in the arcane sanctuary and Maggot lair I played on P1. Also, I kept the Rogue merc because none of the act 2 normal mercs are going to be a real help. Duriel fell fairly easily, thanks to Decrepify. Act 3 flew past, killed Mephisto without too many issues, also thanks to Decrepify and Gumby (Clay Golem) Things really get slowed down.

I was a little concerned about Act 4 seeing as I was lowish level (26) but I forged ahead. I killed Diablo without too many problems, although I did have to run away and go and summon a whole lot more skeletons. I've rushed through act 5 a little, mainly because I want to run Diablo and Baal for experience and some low level items for starting characters. The last waypoint was the ancient's Way, but I did go and kill the Ancients, just didn't have time to find the worldstone keep waypoint. I'll do that tonight along with killing Baal. I've just maxed Raise skeleton and am now starting on Skeleton Mastery. The only skills I haven't put anything in so far that I might need later are Revive and the Prereqs. Will see how nightmare goes.

Also, found a couple more grailies. not too impressive seeing as just about any unique or set item I find at the moment is one.

So update:
    Sorc - 8 - Stony Plains
    Necro - 31 - Ancient's Way
    Zon - 1 - Rogue Encampment

Grail - sets 1/127 - Uniques - 4/377

10. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

So update:
    Sorc - 8 - Stony Plains
    Necro - 54 - NM Harrogath
    Zon - 8 - Cold Plains

Grail - sets 13/127 - Uniques - 16/377

The Necro has had a fairly straightforward path through nightmare. I've maxed Raise skeleton and Skeleton Mastery and have about ten skill points to put in Corpse explosion. I'm not sure what to put skill points in after that. I'll pobably complete the summoning tree with the golems and revives, but any advice would be appreciated.

Boss fights are dead simple, with the slowing effect of the clay golem and decrepify, hardly any damage is dealt, and with Crushing blow on the Merc the boss's drop quickly. Didn't really find anything incredibly useful as yet. A rare wand with +2 to all necro skills is probably the best. I'm going to kill Baal and then use my Necro to run mephisto, Diablo and Baal for a while to see what I can get. I might throw NM pindle in there too just becuase it's an easy area toi get corpses for the skeletons.

Started the next character as well, the amazon and got her past the den of evil. I may start the assassin and druid as well. The paladin and barbarian are going to prove the most difficult to start, mainly because I don't know what to play them as. Avenger/Cleric/Hammerdin and Concentrate/berserker/whirlwind are the current choices. I guess it will depend on what items are found.

11. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Update time

Sorc - 17 - Lut Gholein
    Necro - 75 - Hell Kurast
    Zon - 9 - Cold Plains
    Barb - 12 - Stony Field
    Druid - 7 - Cold Plains
    Pally - 7 - Cold Plains
    Assassin - 7 - Cold Plains

Grail - sets 20/127 - Uniques - 30/377

I took the sorc through act 1 normal. nothing exciting to report, but I did find deathspade, and Arctic furs, taking my total of TC 3's up to 3. Level 6 fireball made quick work of just about everything.

The Necro I was concerned about with Act 2 hell, specifically the Maggot lair and the Arcane Sanctuary, but having put a few more points in dim vision, and luckily gambled a teleporting amulet, it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected, although it did cost quite a bit to repair the amulet, still that was better than spending the next two days getting frustrated. So Khurast and Mephisto await. Hopefully I can kill them reasonably quickly.

12. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

Good luck with it! It will probably take like a year though ...it's a much bigger goal than you'd expect.

13. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Made some decent progress over the weekend with my Necro. This is important as I am hoping to get him to WSK before the Magic find league starts. Having teleport has proved far more important than the +1 skill amulet I was using, especially to get past the River of Flame. Managed to finish Act 3 and Act 4 Hell. Hellforge dropped an Ist, which I'll take. Don't know what I'll use it in yet, but I'm happy to have it.

I also got my barbarian up to level 18 (countess runs) thinking I could use a nifty axe my necro found. Unfortuneately, I forgot the axe was two handed, so I may change that plan. But it kills nice and fast at the moment so we'll have to see what happens.

Nothing real exciting has been found yet. Although I have had a couple of failed uniques (Especially assassin claws). Which is always frustrating.

Sorc - 17 - Lut Gholein
    Necro - 79 - Hell Harrogath
    Zon - 9 - Cold Plains
    Barb - 18 - Outer Cloister
    Druid - 7 - Cold Plains
    Pally - 7 - Cold Plains
    Assassin - 7 - Cold Plains

Grail - sets 26/127 - Uniques - 34/377

14. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Hey Gaz! Good luck with this. It'll take a while, but let's hope it doesn't go like mine began. (Many deaths to IM.)

Nice solid build list there. I love the look of the Werebear and LF zon.
    Hope you enjoy them.

An addition to your rule set, if I may.
    With mine, once they reach Guardian, I'm not allowed to remove any of their used items (including charms,) unless I exchange it with an item that better suits the Guardian.
    It's to prevent the one set of items to be used for each character, as that rule makes it so that they (the Guardians) all have to be able to kill Baal again at all times.

Again, best of luck and I hope to hear more of some of the builds. :smiley:

~Drystan

15. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

The only gear that tends to be shared with my characters is the low level stuff. Lore runewords, Sigon's set, anything below about level 30. This is because i really hate act 3 (all difficulties) and I'm not overly fond of playing characters until they get to about level 35 and have access to all their skills. The Necro was a pleasant change in that the endgame skill was available right off the bat.

I have a few other rules as well. Slightly different to the rather strict sept rules that were originally put forward. For instance, I'm not limiting the amount of items muled on, or the number of times an area can be rerun. Also, the first character (Necro in this case) did not have to find all waypoints or complete all quests. This allowed me to go through the game a little quuicker to get to the good MF spots. Charms and stuff I tend to not want to rotate around the characters mainly because I want to be able to play them all at any given time without having to remember what character has the charms for this one. But it's going alright.

I'm a little worried about the 3 melee characters as I'm not all that good with the whole melee thing and tend to die quite often. If this turns out to be the case I'll go with a hammerdin and a windy and then only have one melee build to concentrate on, but we'll see.

16. Qotsa

Qotsa IncGamers Member

If i may suggest, when soloing chaos sanc with a barb, make sure you have say 1-5 points in taunt and howl. Nasty packs of doom knights (with the obliv ones behind) are easy with them. Howl all the doom knights and use a couple of quick zerks on the now naked obliv knights. Now you're IM free :)

Then back off, and just taunt a few doom knights your way at a time, to minimize risk :p Good luck with it!

17. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

Or just play with a Berserker Barb and laugh at IM and PI :smiley:. You'll need max Warcry though, and all the hp you can get.