Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gawd I am out of my league I think

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Alzuron, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Alzuron

Alzuron IncGamers Member

Gawd I am out of my league I think

Ok, I am so new to this the inspected by #13 still in the corner of my pocket. So here goes..

I am attempting to build a Necro and a Druid. I h ave recieved alot of help from two people specifically. I am finding the people in game very willing to help. However I am running up against some issues.

Leveling: Is there a place better than others? Is there an order to the madness of leveling. I know some of you have a vast experience but I have come from Asherons Call where I knew where to do what ever it was I wanted to accomplish. I am TOTALY Lost here at he moment.

I find nothing of great assistance in the armor or weapon deparment. I have decent armor and decent weapon due to the generosity of others. It would be nice to know where to look and what to look for.

What I find myself doing is playing around a1 alot due to the confidence level I have there. I have a very difficult time in A2 due to lightening vulnerability. The non electric critters offer little resistance to my weapons and do little damage to me.

Any help would be appreciated, I see so many level 80+ out there I can not imagine the length of time played to acquire such a level. I have played approx, 15-20 hours total and only acquired level 20. I can not imagine, since someone said make a mule level 20, I have set any new records for leveling. HAHA

Please give suggestions I am an old man playing this game. Thus far I am enjoying it, but some of the tricks of the trade would be great to know.

Thanks
    Alzuron

2. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

Hi there :)

I'm not sure how much you've been told by the people who have been helping you, but a lot of people get their characters "rushed" by characters of a higher level. Basically, the high level character does all the killing and gets them to the final quest of the game, at which point, they can join in these higher level games and "leech" experience from all the other players. Doing this means that they level up incredibly quickly. If you have people to rush you, it doesn't necessarily take all that long to get to those lofty high levels :)

Of course, you're meant to play through properly, and you should really do that when you're new, to really get to grips with the game.

As for levelling, well to be honest I'm no expert. If I'm having major problems, I tend to just go back one area, and do it a few times to try and gain some more experience, while hopefully finding some better equipment which will help me progress (items with +% chance to find magic items give you a better shot of finding good items). When I'm particularly small, and having problems with the lightning nasties, I try to get my hands on the best ranged weapon (throwing knives, bows, crossbows etc), and employ a shoot/run like hell tactic. It can take a while, but it gets me through :)

May I enquire as to where you're playing (US East, West etc, Ladder/Non-Ladder)?? If you're on USEast, I would be happy to look through what limited gear I have and see if I can help you anywhere with your lightning resists.

bacchae

3. Alzuron

Alzuron IncGamers Member

I am at work at the moment but I am pretty sure I am in the US East.

:scratch: Did not realize I was afforded the opportunity to use any weapon. The shoot and run method may be a way to try. :idea:

Rush, I did run thru several levels with my Necro and some very FAST people, it was all I could do to keep up, haha. I have not done so with Druid as yet. I only leveled to 21 on necro, and decided I liked the Druids options as well. I made a Paladin but it was a ladder character and I am not interested in laddering at this point so I am playing the other two.

Any assistance you have to offer is more than appreciated.

4. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

if you have more then 1 pc, you can do what my brother did, start 2 new character in a account, log on the 2 pc one with each char. focus all the equipment on 1 char and let him do all the killing. the other one just stay in town or something, okay the second character will not get the most exp but this way you can rush the quest quite nicely.

the other thing is, party play offer far more exp and equipments. why not try that. the other day my necro level 25 with a barby and a sin, 3 of us meleed diablo normal to death, I did cast life tap.

you know if you party with a high level character, there will be a exp limit. like 5% of monster exp I think. anyway, what happen was I logged on with my necro and my bro with his zon, partyed and he killed, I got a massive 1 exp. yeah, 1 exp each kill. hardly work the time.

5. Alzuron

Alzuron IncGamers Member

I understand what your saying DAZ but if I am having a hard time leveling one by hinself, how would partying with one of my own toons who is parked in Lut Golein or Rogue Camp help me level faster? I do appreciate the suggestion tho. Maybe I am not understanding what your saying.

6. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

What he's trying to say is that when there are more people in the game - the monsters become harder, and they give you more experience when you kill them. So being in a game with other players, or (although much more complicated) playing on 2 PCs in the same game, will earn your character more experience.

The easiest way by far is just to join games that are currently doing the quests that you are - or even starting one yourself (with no password) for others to join. This way, you'll have the backup of a multitude of other players/skills.....and perhaps other players will be able to weather the lightning damage a little better than you ;) You'll get through the quests more quickly, and you should also find your levelling speeds up too.

7. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Might I suggest you start over and make a ladder char? Not for the ladder, but because most people I know abandoned non-ladder and the economy is still fairly fresh. Seems like a better place for starting to me.

Also, you definitely should make http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/ your new home page. Read up on skills, items and monsters. If you want to test things out you can do so with a trainer in single player.

Also you will notice that certain "builds", i.e. variants of skilling and equipping a char are dominant. You can read up on these builds for example in these forums. To safe yourself some time you should read up on generally considered good builds for the two classes you like. This will save you from the frustration of not beeing able to kill a thing later on.

Basically, what is done on battle.net is "rushing" "leeching" and "mfing". Long ago there was a thing known as "questing" but I think that's a myth :) You might want to read a leveling guide. And apart from getting your chars to a high level (80 can be done in a day) the quest for heaps of items is dominant.
    So ultimately you'll want to start hunting for items to equip your chars better. So read up on Magic Find.

Just a few quick tips:

Leveling:
    Usually done in groups, the exp/time ratio is much better there. lvl 1- 15 in Act1, lvl 16-24 in Act2/3/4. Mostly done in Sewer/Arcane Sanctuary/Travincal runs (i.e. doing these areas over and over and over to gain exp). Then do the Ancients Quest in A5, then join Baalruns for leveling until you hit lvl45-50.

Stat Point distribution (for most chars):
    Strenght: As much as you need to equip your most demanding item.
    Dexterity: Same as Strength or enough to get 75%blocking (as high as 200++)
    Vitality: every point you can spare
    Energy: Usually no points here apart from the starting ones, when starting out without any mana-boosting items it might be neccessary to spend a few points here.

MFing:
    Save any Topazes that you find. Get an armor with 4 sockets and a helm with 3 sockets and put flawless or perfect topazes in. Kill monsters, especially boss monsters and unique monsters that you can kill fairly easily and without too much risk involved. There are lots of suggestions for MF on these forums.

Good luck :)