Gauging Interest in a Combined MF/RF tourney in weird areas

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi everyone,

I’ve been missing the sense of community and hype I get from participating in tourneys on here, and with RFL still presumably a ways off, I thought I’d pitch a tournament idea I’ve had for a while that I think will be fun. If there is any interest, I would love to host it.

I always enjoy some higher psetting farming for combined MF/RF so the scoring would be the same as has been used in the past in @Gripphon ‘s WSK tourney (LINK) and similar to @ffs 's MF/RF tourney (LINK).

However, I'd also like to experiment with some weird, but still perhaps useful area farming, which may or may not also lead to some fun build choices. Give everyone a chance to get away from pits, ancient tunnels and chaos. So the allowable areas may look something like this:

Can run in any of the following:

Act 1
crypt and/or mausoleum (83/85)

Act 2
maggot lair (84/84/85)

Act 3
kurast sewers (84/85)
any temples (84/84/84/85/85/85)

Act 4
city of the damned and/or river of flame (84/85)

Act 5
glacial trail/icy cellar/frozen river/drifter cavern (83/83/83/84)
halls of anguish/pain/vaught (83,84,84)

Any psetting, modern patches, drops from poppables and superuniques will count (though I’ll want to think of a way to exclude plain old nihlathak running, since in my mind, the point is to do some off-meta runs). If you want to hit pindle on the way into the halls, that’s of course fine, but his drops won't count. All bosses in alvl 84’s are tyrael's-eligible and the champions drop as high as pindle does.

One possibly fun aspect of this, is that fire characters do pretty well in a lot of these areas. I know a lot of people like some of those builds, so now might be a fun place to try one out. There will be no build or character restrictions though, so hdins, javas, blizzies, feel free.

I’d like a super chill format with a low barrier of entry. So I was thinking something like 3 weeks duration and 10 hour sets. So most anyone can participate, and multiple sets will be easy to achieve if the tourney’s feeling fun.

If there is interest, I’ll also want some help coming up with a catchy name :p.

Tentative dates: Friday 1/17 - Sunday 2/9

Last edited:

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
At first I was thought "Sewers is an 85 area and I had no idea!?", then realised it is Kurast sewers and not Lut Gholein sewers :).

I'm in.

Let's do this thing!

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I'd be interested in this for sure, it will give me a chance to play around with some funky MF characters.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Excellent glad to hear it! If anyone has any recommendations or anything I'm all ears. One thing I was wondering is if 10 hours is enough to even string together a decent set in a less efficient area. My thought is the lower entry barrier is more valuable to a chill off-meta tourney, but let me know how it sounds. In a real running thread I'll compile a list of immunities and superuniques and superchests as well :)

Also wanted to say I hope any beginners or new members feel free to sign up as well. I'd imagine any rushed hybrid or blizz sorc can get some p3 runs in and have some fun as well as a shot at winning :)

Assuming a few more people are interested as well, I was thinking we could get this started soon. Does next Friday sound like a plausible start date? maybe like Friday 1/10 - Sunday 2/2. (see new tentative dates below)

Last edited:

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not as used anymore to tourneys like this, so pardon if this is obvious to others: do you mean 10 hours total over 3 weeks which you can distribute among all the areas mentioned above? Or 10 hours for each of the areas? Or can you choose, let's say: 3 areas and run 10 hours each?

A compilation of immunities, superuniques and superchests sounds awesome!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
in this case you can choose any area(s) - from that list - and char(s) as you want, and do 10 hours in total over 3 weeks. That is called a "set"

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@Grisu no problem! I could have been more clear. Mix and match characters and areas as desired and run it/them for 10 hours, and that is 1 set. You can do as many 10 hour sets as you want, but you will only submit your best 10 hour set. This is to give people who have less time to play a chance at winning, whereas a tournament like MFO more heavily favors those who can put in more time. An example similar to this structure (except it had 20 hour sets) is RFL round 3 (LINK).

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
Dates are fine for me ! I’ll have to rush a twinked (well, not that twinked, because I’m still poor compared to others here) Blova I was planning to build anyway, but good enough for me !

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Sweet. If that's too soon, I can always move it forward a week. I might do that in fact, it sounds more reasonable. But entries will be welcome to the end. If anyone sees the tourney on the last day and wants to join, please do so :).

New tentative dates: Friday 1/17 - Sunday 2/9 ?

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, 10 hours should be doable even though the Ability Scroll Sept tournament REALLY takes some time (doing my 5th Act III single pass play through in the last 6 days or so as I write). So yeah, I'd sign up if it's not more than 10 hours. :)

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh my... sadly i don't have a character strong enough to compete, kinda slow killing speed above p1 and slow runner, not to speak about the crappy MF and the HC status...

But... SC sorceress can be the easier path to put a foot into this tournament. 15 days before start? Plenty of time to hit crypts at least ;)

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Oh my... sadly i don't have a character strong enough to compete, kinda slow killing speed above p1 and slow runner, not to speak about the crappy MF and the HC status...

But... SC sorceress can be the easier path to put a foot into this tournament. 15 days before start? Plenty of time to hit crypts at least ;)
It's 10 hour batches in unconventional areas, you can compete with a fresh untwinked character. Please don't be put off :) I will be running with a phoenix striker and a summoning druid at some stages... I can do mostly any dates.

Also, as I am banned from MP and trading I would obviously prefer no prize swapping as I am therefore excluded. However, that is my consequence and I don't ask that it be specifically worked in, but I would appreciate a heads up ASAP so that I don't plan anything :p

J-Dog

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh boy oh boy! I like every aspect of this. After making Infinity I've been thinking of respecing my blizz sorc into a fire sorc and wind druid into fire druid because I love fire builds. This pretty much settles it. Let's do this!

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Oh boy oh boy! I like every aspect of this. After making Infinity I've been thinking of respecing my blizz sorc into a fire sorc and wind druid into fire druid because I love fire builds. This pretty much settles it. Let's do this!
I did a bunch of Mausoleum (I think only 1,000, so not quite Kitteh's 5,000 AT Runs :p) runs with my hydra sorceress and it's quite a nice play to grind. Consider that :)

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@Kitteh there will be no trading or prizes and I hope you join :)

@Grisu people have been known to complete partial sets as well, which is ofc fine, but I can't recommend it for your score potential :p
@Babyhell sounds good hope see you in the crypts!
@J-Dog excellent I'm already compiling some resources. May get a running thread up as soon as tomorrow. Also i have to ask, any plans for phoenix?

And any other name recommendations??