Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gas question, premium?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geeno, May 24, 2005.

1. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Gas question, premium?

Usually I get the cheap unleaded stuff, but Ive been having an odd problem with my car lately that I suspect could be fuel injectors.

Im wondering if I fill up a tank with the expensive stuff once or twice, might that help?

Would the more expensive gas perhaps blast out my fuel injectors? or should I just buckle down and go to a shop.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

It depends alot on the car. New cars can be ruined by using lower quality gas and older cars can be ruined by too high quality gas.

Over here all gas is unleaded and cars made before 1990 often need the lead so you have to add it to the tank everytime you fill up or there will be engine trouble.

How old is this car and what type of car is it?

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Use regular gas for everyday running around.
    Use premium for long trips.

Consult your owners manual for more information
    Not to be injested
    Does not make you sexy
    May cause temporary blindness
    May cause minor fecal leakage
    Known to the State of California to cause uglyness

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

The premium gas is a higher octane, that is, it is more explosive in your engine. I don't think they really differe that much though, when going through the fuel injectors. I think they've just gotten gunked up from something. A different kind of gas isn't going to fix that.

If it has fuel injectors, I'm guessing it was made after 1990, and certainly doesn't need lead.

5. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Higher octane gas combusts at a higher compression; if you use it on a low compression engine, it will burn too late in the stroke and cause knocking, pinging and all kinds of head aches. Buy fuel injector cleaner at Wal-Mart for $1.09 and call it a day.

6. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Don't buy more expensive gas, it has no effect. Go to an autozone or whatever and you can find a can of fuel injector cleaner you add to a tank of gas. Should be cheap, less than $10. Might help, especially on an old car.

Garbad

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

The better gas does make a difference when out on the highway. I typically get up to 5mpg more on premium than the cheap stuff. It more than makes up for the added cost.

In town I get less than 1mpg more. Not cost effective

8. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

I read a short article in Time magazine back a while. Basically, it said that you should go for the cheaper gas because the difference between the premium is very small that you won't notice a difference. This, however, does not apply to all cars. Almost all sports cars require premium gas in order for it to run right.

9. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Use whatever the manufacturer recommends.

10. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

they always recommend premium.

11. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

No, they recommend that I use 87 octane in my Jetta.

12. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Wow, such a manly man as Steeve drives such a girl girl car such as a Jetta Instead, get a VW PHAETON

13. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Know why they call it a chick car? Because chicks dig it.

14. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Haha... or because it is justa girly car in nature...Er... well, the car just looks like something a chick would drive, although I wouldn't turn down a free one... and I REALLY like the handling of a Jetta.

15. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

My Volvo recommends 92 octane or higher and I'll be damned if I pay an extra 15 cents a bloody gallon for a 10 year old car. Hasn't died yet. :thumbsup:

16. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Alot of these care after 2000 recommend premium...casue you'll hear a little knocking noise when using regular. Pre 2000 most say regular.

And Geeno since everyone argues "which gas mine uses" stuff..lets talk about why you think its the injectors. Who knows..maybe you just need new spark plugs/plug wires.

And Johnny...where do you live..most use lead pre 1990? In the US I would say pre 70'. The only car I know off..and this is in the south mind you, where old cars run free..is a local GTO early 60's model that still uses lead. Otherwise..dont know of any more.

17. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy IncGamers Member

Gas is made up of octane and heptane. Octane is a measurement of the fuel's tendency to not explode which makes it less susepctable to detonation. Combustion engines get the best performance when the fuel/air mixture is ignited and burns smoothly. The piston is forced down by the expansion of the gases, and not by an explosion. When the fuel/air mixture explodes, it's called detonation, which is horrible for an engine. High compression/performace engines are more suseptable to detonation, hence, they use fuels with higher octane ratings.

18. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

So basically, forget the fancy gas and get the carb cleaner, and some injector cleaner, heck get some armorall while you're at it. if you car isn't running better and shinier, then try cleaning the plugs. still don't like it, find a mechanic that won't spray you with armorall (get it...it's like a car guys way of taking oyu to the cleaners. ha! sorry again.) Still don't like it? buy a "chic magnet" like steve has. (ha ha wimpy car!)

19. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I drive a Ford Focus SVT and have to have 91 octane or higher because of my high compression. Not fun...

Dj_Otaku

20. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Weird. I drive a 9 year old Volvo that recommends the same thing.

This just plays further into my theory that we are the same person, just from different, but simililar universes.