Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

games with the best graphics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Technetium, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

games with the best graphics

What games awe you with their amazing graphics?

Personally, I can't stand polygon-based graphics. I think it takes what was once a pure art form and turns it into a mathematical procedure. With that in mind, I find that the graphics in certain SNES games (Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy VI, Gradius III, Seiken Densetsu III, Tales of Phantasia), and even some NES games (Megaman II & III, Final Fantasy) are much better than the graphics on many current systems.

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Errr...what? You cant honestly think that graphics from 10-20 years ago are better than they are now. Graphics are so much more detailed, and with constant improvements in hardware available for PC's, and 3rd gen consoles coming soon, graphics today are better than ever before.
    For the best in game graphics, id vote for gran turismo 4. Its as close to photorealism as you can get today. Then theres the big FPS games like doom3 and half life 2, but my graphics card sucks, and cant even run those games.

3. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Too much detail can become visual congestion. One of the things that always amazed me about the older games is how they would rely on the human mind to, to a degree, fill in the spaces between the pixels. I find it was much more conducive for an imaginative mind.

Furthermore, don't mistake "photorealism" for "better". I could take a photograph of a lily-covered pond, and it would never match the beauty of a Monet painting.

The genius with SNES and NES (as well as other contemporary systems) is that artists didn't have a relatively unlimited medium to work with. The limitations of the system (not just in the graphics being 2-dimensional bitmap images, but also in the way backgrounds were created using 16x16 tiles rather than large prerendered images) encouraged artists to find clever ways to create what they envisioned in their minds, and it is this brilliance that results in graphics far more beautiful (even if less realistic) than what one finds in most games today.

4. PsionicAngel

PsionicAngel IncGamers Member

I think we can't compare 2-D graphics with 3-D graphics because the procedure to make them is far too different. Graphics on different types of console/platform is also something that is difficult to debate on.

Chrono Trigger had excellent graphics ! I second that. On SNES Platform, I think nothing can be better than Donkey Kong Country III. It's graphics were amazing !

In computer games, I'd say, NWN, for its landscapes graphics and skyboxes !

5. ASL

ASL IncGamers Member

THe most visually appealing graphics to me are those of Diablo I quality. They were neither cartoonish nor realistic. There's just enough detail without there being too much detail like current games. Current games have too much "texture" for my liking. I like smoothness.

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I would agree with Technetium.....if it wasn't for halflife 2 :) The outdoor and city combat levels in that game are just too beautiful.

7. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

There were some supernes games with really good graphics. I think some of the best looking games were some of those old adventure games on DOS. Also FF8 has very good graphics, the backrounds and other non-3D images are amazing. What else, warcraft2, diablo2, Megaman X-4.

And then there's that game with horrible graphics called Halflife 2 ;)

8. jordy666

jordy666 IncGamers Member

secret of mana 1 and 2
    diablo 2 :D
    and the new elderscrolls, its amazing

-jordy :king:

9. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

HL2 was completely amazing.

But WoW is pretty nice too considering the vastness of the world. Some truly inspiring scenery.

And the NE's dancing in Lingerie is quite appealing too.

R++

10. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

I vote for monkey island 3, I love the graphical style of that game

11. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Well for sure I have to put MorroWind for best graphics as far as backgrounds/weather/etc. But character looks is no doubt GuildWars, they do have a 'good" thing going with backgrounds and such but....their characters are beautiful, and quite exotic looking...RRAAAAOOWW!

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Agreed.

Graphics for me are pretty far down on the list of things I look for in a game. So I am more a fan of older games. To be honest, I am not much of a gamer anyway. Doom 3 is the latest I have played and I guess those graphics are pretty well done.

13. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Old Snes RPGS. FF6/Chrono Trigger.

14. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

half life 2 surroundings were great

agree with DK III for snes, that game had teh best graphics till n64 came out

15. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

FFX, the Spring scene with Yuna and Tidus

I mean the first time I watched that FMV was just... breathtaking..

it's not the the game with the "best" graphics but but it's definitely somewhere up there.

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

toss up for me between Resident Evil remake and RE4

got some purdy stuff on xbox but nothing jumps out at me like the RE cube games

as for old spritey stuff, can't think of anything that really sticks with me

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

That game had better graphics than anything on the N64 in my opinion. The N64 and PS1 were the awkward teenage years of 3d graphics and were all horrible in my opinion.

18. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Custer's Revenge

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I too prefer the non-3d graphics. Some are truly amazing, 3d isn't at the same level yet since artists can't freehand the details.

Super Metroid has some very impressive 2.5d graphics. If you go out in the woods and look around you can see a lot of similar stuff.

Until 3d graphics allow from complete free form they will be behind 2.5d.

20. Professor Blasto

Professor Blasto IncGamers Member

For 3d graphics I would have to say anything that runs the Unreal Engine 3 (Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 2007). Though the games won't be out for a little while what I've seen is utterly amazing. And with the advent of 'megatexture rendering/application' the Doom 3 engine can now do outdoor environments as well as anything, or better in most cases.

As far as 2d Guilty Gears, the new one, amazing and fun.