Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Games and their Golden Ages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Red Verix, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Red Verix

Red Verix Diabloii.Net Member

Games and their Golden Ages

INTRO:

There are lots of bestselling games that have sold millions of copies, but there are some games which manage to create something special, something that, after it's gone, people are going to miss and get nostalgic about.

It's too often that I realize a game had something really special going on only after it's gone. I was too late for Diablo 2 and the HC crowd's heyday, Starcraft's rise as the supreme competitive RTS and classic WoW with it's 40 man raids.

The problem is that in many cases people are all focused on what once was and miss out on the awesome things happening right now.

THE IDEA:

Let's post about games, communities, or periods within a game's lifespan, that were really something great in their day, and post about the ones happening right now!

THE RULES:

** No bashing other people's games or their developers.
    ** No whining or complaining about how your game was ruined. This is an appreciation thread, not a blame and shame thread, so keep it positive.
    ** No arguing over which game is/was "better" or "took more skill".
    ** Again, keep it positive!

Be as specific as you want, there are some weird and fun niche communities out there! I'd also like to hear what was the hotness back in the 90's since I'm more of a 2000's gamer.

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Games and their Golden Ages

AD&D the 1970s through 1980's.

I Still Got the paperwork to prove it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. BobCox2

TIGer AtTaCk!

Original Mail order Eon sets "Cosmic Encounters"

Same time period.

4. BobCox2

Above are two good examples but the one you will never understand kids is that we used to play

Assassin

Really and no one went to jail or anything.

Don't Think I would try it now.

5. Red Verix

I've heard of D&D and I know it's this huge thing but I don't know how that's played, or how it works, do you just quest straight out of the book and write down everything on paper?

Anyway, here's a game:

EVE Online

An MMO that's been around since the early 2000's but growing very strong and rivaling the best MMO's out there. Internet spaceships for the win. The game is gorgeous and while the community is going through an influx of new players you'll find very helpful and mature people. Honestly it's because the game is HARD, you have to know what you are doing, it can be slow, but it's great fun.

There's an amazingly deep player-driven economy and Machiavellian politics between corporations vying for control of deep space. Oh, and did I mention, ONE SERVER. 350,000 subscribers from all over the world. The Russians have their own alliances and occupy their portion of the galaxy, the French another, the Germans another. It's a sandbox game which lets the players play peacefully and mine, trade, explore and manufacture, or play in intense high-risk open world PvP. Nowhere is safe from space pirates, (players who decide that rules are for suckers). If you want protection for your small asteroid mining operation, you have to find it from other players, for a price of course!

The game is old enough to have it's share of nostalgic vets but it's safe to say that it's really something cool and worth checking out.

6. diagamer

diagamer Diabloii.Net Member

Everquest, early 2000's before Wow stole most of it's user-base. It was the main MMORPG out there with a heavy focus on grouping and cooperative play. Most games have shifted toward solo-friendly gameplay with little to no penalty for failure. EQ could be frustrating but it was fun.

7. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore Diabloii.Net Member

TRAIN TO ZONE!!!! TRAIN TO ZONE!!!!!

EQ Was absolutely a HUGE one for me. But another one?.....Heroes of Might and Magic II. I could play that game for HOURS. It was the best when it was just your and your buddy and you take turns in the Hot Seat trying to figure out where each other's army is. Man I miss that game. Also, a couple more that date back even further...

Escape Velocity, Maelstrom and Defcon. Ambrosia Software ftw!

8. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

This is a bit weird, but I thought the Nightmare video board game series had some potential, but the game design was awful. Same with gamebooks; great potential, but failure to change their recurring problems. I find the over reliance on dice rolls may be holding back many types of games.

9. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Diabloii.Net Member

Year: 1985.

Ultima IV was my first PC game. That game caused me to develop an interest in computers. I went from jock to geek overnight. I wasn't (and still isn't) even a D & D fan. My girlfriend even dumped me because of that game. And I started to wear glasses for the first time in my life.

10. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

Infocom text adventures! I never cared much for Zork for some reason, but the Enchanter games, Planetfall, Hitchhiker's Guide..., and a bunch of others are how I lenraed to tpye on my old Atari computer as a kid. I loved the heck out of those games! I just adored some of the funny ways you could die! I started out on console RPGs, but the Infocom games sparked my interest in computer RPGs that has lasted to this day.

11. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

For me games like Phantasy Star (original 8bit from Sega Master system), and also Miracle Warriors on the same system will always have a special place in my heart of games. Tho they seemingly suck now, but developed my love of sword and sorcery fantasy games I like today.
    Of course D&D will always be in my head..I even use the same name here of my old Fighter. Thinking about it, I stil have all my old books,notes, art of those old days. Still in as good of shape as back then...I'll prolly have it forever, just don't play anymore.

12. BobCox2

Same here and Crowbar swings +7 full West Realm accounts. 1/2 ladder or Ex ladder and one migration to LOD 1.0x Account.
    + single play

I had a Clan in the day.

Golden age passed.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  13. Red Verix

I have fond memories of the game Impossible Creatures.

I never played online but I got Insect Invasion. I loved creating new creatures. It didn't get much attention, I think they had a sequel planned but it was abandoned. I would love to see it come back, it had such a great mad scientist feel with the steampunk atmosphere and the big band music.

I have to say though the first RTS I really fell in love with was Age of Mythology. Great concept, very creative, loved Egypt! Still some of the best game music I have in my library.

14. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

Of course, I was also a D&D junky for pretty much my entire teenage existence. I ended up basically internalizing it eventually though, because I just couldn't find anybody to game with that wasn't a total munchking.

15. BobCox2

We had house rules for that. "1 day in 2"

If you ignored the rule random encounters with the lvl300 insane wizard named Wally became a roll and very bad things happened a lot.

Played in a Darkover theme world with Magic + Darkover Psionics

16. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

Heroes of M&M, Doom, Half-life, Sc and Diablo 1&2...such fun times...and only LAN of course, few people had internet back then in the god forsaken parts of eastern Europe for battle.net and other such fancy stuff :p

17. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic Diabloii.Net Member

EVE is really something special in an otherwise bland MMO market. Yes, it's niche but what an awesome niche it is! As far as a golden age, depends on who you ask. I'm taking a forced break from it at the moment.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun was the first RTS I played online. It was also an eye opening experience into cheating and hacks and how prevalent they were. It was a bit discouraging at first but there were honest players to be found.

I was actually pretty good back then and usually managed to hold off the other team and the inevitable betrayers from my team as well (if you played back then you'll know what I mean) until I won or they forfeit. :p My RTS skills have gone way downhill though and I play single player these days.

The C&C series, starcraft, warcraft, dawn of war and dune series are my favorite RTS titles to this day. I can remember playing way too much diablo as well.

18. Liability

Liability Diabloii.Net Member

One more vote for everquest, despite all the painful corpse runs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

19. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic Diabloii.Net Member

Freespace and homeworld are two games I played a lot. I must've killed five joysticks playing freespace. I had really crappy dial-up during the golden age of these games and I lost quite bit but it didn't matter. I still play homeworld now and then and have the open source project for freespace 2 installed but haven't played it since I killed my last joystick.

20. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

1980-90: Rogue-like games. D&D geeks like me played it for a longer time.

I'm currently playing one from time to time (Angband), but I have to admit that it's not as much fun as in the nineties. The good old times never come back *sigh*