Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gamer dies playing popular online game for 20 hours... ifr

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by xKurupT, Mar 10, 2004.

1. xKurupT

xKurupT IncGamers Member

Gamer dies playing popular online game for 20 hours...

did anyone else here about this??? i live in australia and i heard it on the radio... they didnt say much except a gamer has died playing a popular online game for 20 hours.. i think he was from an asian country but can't remember... does anyone know anything about this if so im keen to know more about this topic... sorry about putting this thread here i didnt know where else to put it... can gaming too much really kill you????

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

if you dont eat and sleep and are physicaly ill i guess you can die from playing to much...

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's a typical case of hysteria (correct word ?) caused by lack of information.

I guess a lot of people die in their sleep, but if you hear "Another person died while sleeping - it's the 100th case this year" ,would you believe that sleeping is deadly ? Probably not because you know that people sleep 6-8 hours a day.

Let's say the typical bnet player lives in a country with an average lifetime of 75 years. 75 years=27000 days. Bnet gives us these nice statistics about how many people play at the moment, and lets say the daily average is 50,000 all the time per realm (it's more, but let's be conservative). That means that each day we have 250,000 days of playing games on bnet alone which is the lifetime of 10 persons. The typical player is perhaps 15-30 years old. This is the time of life where the chance of dying is the least. Let's assume that 5% of all people die when being 15-30 years old and let's furtherly assume that only 10% of these deaths can occur at all while playing computer games (the typical cause of death is suicide, an accident or a lethal disease or something else during which you don't play computer games). This means that once per 20 days a person can be expected to die while playing in bnet - just in bnet ! Perhaps only 5% of all computer gamers play internet games on bnet.

I guess that computer games prevent many 15-30 year old persons from the top causes of death in that age category: Suicide and accidents. It's not easy to kill yourself or get killed by a car or something while sitting in a chair and being busy with moving your hands and eyes. And as you have fun while doing it, you can't even consider it a waste of time ;)

4. TZ_Overfiend

TZ_Overfiend IncGamers Member

i read about that (or similar) in a PS2 game magazine about a year ago...a korean was playing for over 20hourse and when he went to the bathroom he had a fit and died :scratch:

5. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I have come close to bursting blood vessels as Hell Mephisto drops Isenharts Case and equally useful items in MF runs:~)

6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk IncGamers Member

I have actually heard of it a couple of times..

In both cases it was coreans.

They had each played around 80 hours nonstop before they died. This did not happen simultaneous, I believe there was a month between.

Btw I think one of them played cs...

-Sparrow

7. Elly

Elly Administrator

Why do they even bother mentioning the game, it baffles me? Actually, no it annoys me. Why does it make the news? I don't see headlines..... 'Man dies weeding garden.... 'writer dies polishing shoes'......'Hairdresser dies reading newspaper'.

Where's the correlation between what he's doing sitting down and gaming? There are millions who lead incredibly sedentary lives. Sleep 10 hours, sit on their backsides all day watching TV or reading or eating but if they die of heart failure or a stroke it doesn't make the news. I'll be interested in hearing what the coroner finds as the cause of death.

/gets up and does some stetches. Just in case.

8. taranis28

taranis28 IncGamers Member

Ahhhh. Overseas turmoil is becoming page 5 news again, and back comes the evils of MTV, CBS, cable, and videogames :thumbsup: . Soon, the cries of wolf about online life will be trumpeted again. I swear. News people would die of heart attacks themselves if they didn't find something to "scare" us with.

9. GIR

GIR Banned

I know I read a few articles a year or so ago about some poor fool who shot himself in the head over EverQuest. I think his name was Shawn (or Sean) Wooley.

10. ferentix

ferentix IncGamers Member

11. Anksun

Anksun IncGamers Member

I have also heard of some news like that, usually coming from Korea actually.

I think some of you dont get the real point: the guy have die BECAUSE he have play too much of DiabloII. This is totally different of: he die while playing a game...

The guy have play so much without any stop he even forgot to sleep! Which if repetitive will in some case lead to the death...

This has nothing to do with someone dying while walking on the street or weeding garden except if the guy would have die by reading too much the newspaper or by weeding for too long in a row the garden.. huum, i dont see this happening :scratch:

12. the_tree

the_tree IncGamers Member

He almost certainly was already sickly or had some strange form of epilepsy or something. I've game binged like that before, anyone ever been too a LAN party? There is just no way that I buy he died strictly from gaming. It's not possible.

13. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

I bet a soj it is a hoax.

I have seen different versions of this urban legend already. I think about 5 or 6. All asians, most of them died in a internet cafe. In one version the victim actually played DII

14. spiderman2k9

spiderman2k9 Banned

a korean.. in korea.. game.. MUST be starcraft.. lol..

ps: (i'm korean, have been to korea... the internat cafe's are starcraft 24/7..)

15. erics

erics IncGamers Member

The issue isn't the game or lack of eating, drinking, or sleeping...it's sitting down for such a long strech. What I've heard is; blood clots forming in the legs after sitting for such a long duration. Then they break free and enter the heart or brain and induce death.

</my opinion>

erics

16. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Then the article is truly moronic.

Though definitely not very pleasant and healthy I cannot see how 20 hours of sleep deprivation should do a young man in.

I think many of you have been in similar situations, sweating over some late assignment or other. Now, he probably was awake doing something other before booting up the computer, but this would still only equate to about a whole day.

Now we add lack of food. Since he sat at the computer all the time I guess he would have gone the entire 20 hours without anything to eat. Again it is highly unlikely that a day without food should be able to kill a young (or middle-aged) man unless he is already severely weakened.

Dehydration is a more serious issue. If he was playing during a heat wave and was too enthralled by the game to get up and take a drink he might be in a little danger, but if he managed to bring even a small can of coke I guess he would be fine.

17. Elly

Elly Administrator

Well then, that's not because he was playing a game. That's because he put his body under undue stress through lack of sleep or fluids or perhaps even not moving sufficiently for long periods of time. Deep Vein Thrombosis or the such like. He could have been sat watching films for 20 hours or reading a book for 20 hours or simply sleeping. No I'm sorry, it just doesn't cut it that the game playing was the cause of death. It's weak and pure sensationalism.

18. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Then you can go ahead and say that smoking doesn't kill, that cancer does. You can go ahead and say car accidents don't kill, crushed bones and loss of blood do. You can go ahead and say that the depression didn't lead to suicide, the loss of blood from an exposed wrist vein did.

But we are looking at the cause of the physical cause, in this case, gaming.

19. TeKmInIbI

TeKmInIbI IncGamers Member

Omg , i play at LEAST 7hours a day...
    I'm going to bed... actually im going to get food first.

TeKmInIbI

20. Elly

Elly Administrator

Nope. I'm saying that playing the game didn't cause the death which is not the same at all.

Unless the game scared him to death, gave him a fright quite literally and caused a heart attack then no he could have been sat at his desk watching movies on his monitor for 20 hours and I doubt the headline would have read 'guy dies watching movies on his pc'. I'm saying the cause was probably one of the other things I listed above and the only reason it made headlines was because he was playing a game and it makes good copy right now to link games to dying and killing.

It's probably easier if you just explain your theory on how Diablo II caused his death or even broaden it and just say 'the game' as I assume you're theory isn't specific to this particular title.