Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gameplay Styles! Post your Opinion!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sutra, Feb 5, 2004.

1. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

Gameplay Styles! Post your Opinion!!!

Hello,

Wich do you guys prefere best:

1 - Playing the game clearing all and exploring all the maps, no matter how much time it takes

or

2 - Playing like frenzy, trying to get to the best spots quickly and doing various runs to lvl up, not enjoying the game like it was planned originally...

Fell free to expand more on this subject..

2. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

I'm a mixture of both. If i start out a new character I always play as much as possible. I won't clean out the whole map but I will clean everything I come across, I won't get out of my way to clear whole areas.

However, if I get to hell with that character I've kind of seen it all and considering the fact that most people who are in hell are usualyl 10 level to low and can't help you much. I'd rather get boosted there. It'sr eally frustrating when you have to do most of the work with 2 or 3 guys while the other 5 are dying left and right and are basically useless.

Also since in hell certain areas are frustratingly difficult for certain characters, I like to go through it as quickly as possible. I've done hell several times completely solo and that's more than enough for me.

3. Grenesir

Grenesir IncGamers Member

I like to kill everything in my path and clearing whole areas. I don't like limitating myself to a few small areas like the Throne of Destruction. I prefer mass-monster killing over the assassination of a limited set of boss monsters. The greater the number of death animations I see in a minute, the more I enjoy the game! :)

Although I strive to reach act5 normal as fast as possible without being rushed and completing all the quests. Because by that time, I'm usually 1 or 2 levels from being level 30 and that's when the fun begins.

4. Kurrelgyre

Kurrelgyre IncGamers Member

When I am trying out a new build, I usually play through every area to get a feel for how the build handles every situation. Once I have gotten the build as far as possible, if I am not happy with my stat or skill allocation I will make another character and use a modified version of the same build and play in more of a rush style, playing through the major quests only and trying to level up as quickly as possible until I reach the point I was at with the first character, then slowing down and experimenting again. I will also go back through areas that gave me trouble with the first character and see if the build changes made a difference.

This ladder season has been about experimentation for me - I have learned which builds suit my playstyle best. For example, as powerful as the hammerdin is I find that I do not enjoy playing him, but I love my Fishymancer. When this season ends, I will make my favorite builds immediately and try to level them as quickly as possible.

5. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

So, you mean that lvl 30 is the minimum level to begin catching all the good stuff... right?
    And by that time? Do you start killing everything you see or you go after more than you see to kill?

6. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

I personally like to think that the best way to play the game is by exploring everyhing and take your time! By killing everything i enjoy the maximum of my char altough some times is a very fast kill.

On the other and, i know that this system can become a sometimes boring, but when you find a very good weapon, armor or charm, in a chest that is far out of the path, i find this worth the long walk...

7. Cantos

Cantos The Order of Dii Guild Member

What a subtle way with words you have! You could get a job writing questions for random phone surveys!

Here's my response.

3 - Get to my target level as fast as possible so I can start dueling.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

I like to clear the maps when im questing. When im in act5, i try to go to ancients and start doing baal runs if im in norm or NM. Then i go clear and etc

9. Grenesir

Grenesir IncGamers Member

Before I'm level 30, I usually go straight for the objectives. When I reach level 30 I am sure to have my main skills, so I kill everything while exploring every inch of the map. I'm one of the crazy folk that actually searches religiously for every waypoint in act3!

10. [G.Knightz]K.nG

[G.Knightz]K.nG IncGamers Member

I usually clear the whole of Act 1 and maybe Act 2 but in Act 3 its too tedious - I just kill whatever stand between me and the waypoints/objectives. I would have cleared Act 4 and Act 5, but I only have 2 characters on Ladder and I was wanting to get to do Shenk/Eldtrich or Baal runs for MFing. This is the same on NM. Hell I just do the objectives and find waypoints and kill anything I feel like killing. By the way I solo the entire game, I find it boring to party and watch them kill with me, and then steal the loot :xgift: .

11. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

3 - Depends on my mood...I do some of both.

12. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

In Normal, I do everything, with the exception of the outdoor areas in a5. I hate those teleporting things. I still get the wps, just because I hate having blank spots. Actually, I do tend to leave the cave areas in a1 alone.

In Nightmare, I tend to skip a lot of the desert areas, especially the Halls of the Dead, because the cube is the item you really need, and the reward of that particular part of the quest isn't adequately replaced if you already have a cube.

In Hell, I actually go back to doing more areas, because the difficulty scales so much more, that there's no need to hurry up, since it only gets you killed.

13. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

Ok, i forget that dueling is a gameplay style also....
    So what you like best is dueling? Do you find it challenging? In wich lvl?

In my opinion, it should exist mod in the game more dedicated to duels..
    Like an exclusive area where you could only get in if you are at a determined lvl and arrange duels with other players in the same contitions...
    What do u think?

14. Eddie_Dean

Eddie_Dean IncGamers Member

of the two styles mentioned first i'd say i do both...but a lot more of the time i go to specific locations for mf, runes, etc. i have never really tried dueling, but i hope to make a char. for that soon.

15. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

Ok, it's easy to go directly to a place that you know you will have more chance in finding good items...

Where are the best places?

16. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

I've found it far more rewarding to play at your own pace, untwinked. I've played enough that its the only challenge now... how hard is it to slap on overpowered gear I have saved up and own? I clear most areas, get all the waypoints, do all the quests. If you're not playing the game at this point (I, like many of you, I bet, have been playing since it came out) then what are you playing for?!?! And no, taking a TP and killing the minions over and over is not "playing"... its about 1/1000 of the game, and its as mind-numbing as magic finding (which made me hate the game until I quit it).

People are always looking for a rush... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU RUSHING TO? What, so you can throw on great gear? Sweet! Then you can totally destroy everything and burn through the acts! And then, once you can wear your BEST gear... then its time for the hell baal runs! Yeah! You did it! Congratulations!!!

Seems kinda pointless when you put it like that, doesnt it?

Each character I have earns all of their gear and kills and can handle any area of the game... you see, they HAVE to be able to... because, ya know, I PLAY all the areas. Nothing makes me sadder than when people say they've never seen anyone smash the orb to open the durance before when I do it in a game.

Rant over. If theres anyone out there on HCL East who thinks like me, *Kitriara... get in touch with me!

17. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

This discussion has come up many times before, but the answer is always the same. Like any other game with a million players, Diablo II has a million different "best ways to play."

In my hands, Diablo II is best played as a game of exploration. Not of physical areas, jungles, deserts, and vast winding Durances of improbable architecture; but rather of character builds, skill interactions, and cooperative party strategy. Spare me your duels, your Baal runs, your MF'ing to small hours of the night; let's see how your magezon's Explosion Arrow fares with my Demon Machine enchantress and that other guy's curse necro.

Your experience, of course, wouldn't and shouldn't be exactly the same.

The last time this came up, the Bartle online gaming personality sorting test was mentioned. Bartle sorted the expectations and tendencies of Multi-User Dungeons (MUDs) into four groups: Socializer, Explorer, Killer, Achiever. The test may not be scientifically accurate, but it illustrates in nonetheless large, clear numbers that very different playing styles do exist out there on the Internet.

To advocate "meant-to-be-played" purism in the face of this well proven reality is short-sighted, even self-serving. After all, conformity on this large a scale runs against human nature. No game designer can presume to know or control which aspect of a complex game will appeal to any member of a massive player base, during any point of a decade-long life cycle. Laissez faire or gamer beware.

(For my part, I would update Bartle by grouping much of the classically "Killer" paradigm-- competing with other players e.g. dueling-- under "Achiever" instead. Then I'd narrow the "Killer" category to "Griefer". S, E, G, A-- should be easy for gamers to remember those initials, hm? Alas, my authority on the subject is bounded by the confines of my own thick skull.)

18. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Oh ok so everyone who doesn't explore the maps and do all the quests is automatically the bad guy, not playing it how it was supposed to be originally.

19. Deadbolt13

Deadbolt13 IncGamers Member

I like to play through all the quests. Except for that Nithalak one, because I usually want to keep the red portal open. However, I will do it on normal and nm, cause you havn't lived until you see that death scene, what with that spinning skeleton and all.