Gameplay sounds

Aranock

Diabloii.Net Member
Gameplay sounds

Is it just me, or do the in-game sounds so far seem a bit...lacking...

I'm referring to the little things, like sword to flesh, sword to bone, enemies dying, and such.

It's not necessarily bad, but to me, so far, it just seems weak and a bit generic.

Dnttryme

Banned
Re: Gameplay sounds

You are not alone. But I can remember Blizzard saying in an interview that sound (both score and gameplay sound) was something they were going to focus on. Hopefully it is still being worked on and those sounds we have heard were just place holders.

After playing games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 it is clear that sound has an extremely important role in games, especially when games are trying to immerse the player within the game.

Aranock

Diabloii.Net Member

Was getting worried that people actually didn't pay attention to sound for a minute. Good to hear it.

I'd say right now it feels like someone put a wet blanket over it, but it's the actual sound itself. Take this clip for example: At the very beginning the female barb is using a sword.....yet it sounds like the zombies are being squished like a tomato, something i'd expect from a mallet type of weapon. Same goes with the male barb right after it. He's swinging an axe, and it produces a really weak squishy sound.

Maybe i'm an idealist, but I'd like the various sounds, such as sword-to-flesh, axe to bone, staff sound, and such to give individual sounds. It seems like they've over-dramatized the sound of the skill in comparison to the what the character is actually attacking.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sure that kind of stuff is in development.

From a game developer's viewpoint tho (I presume) most sound design will be finalized after 90% of the content is done, such as monsters/weapon types/spells etc which are far from finished, I'm guessing (again). No point in wasting time and resources, that being a LOT of money, on content that will be thrown out, re-made or changed. So I think just as graphic details it will be done at a later stage.

*rereads post*

Well, thats a lot of presumptions right there.

Aranock

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sure that kind of stuff is in development.

From a game developer's viewpoint tho (I presume) most sound design will be finalized after 90% of the content is done, such as monsters/weapon types/spells etc which are far from finished, I'm guessing (again). No point in wasting time and resources, that being a LOT of money, on content that will be thrown out, re-made or changed. So I think just as graphic details it will be done at a later stage.

*rereads post*

Well, thats a lot of presumptions right there.
I hope you're right. I have no idea how their development is broken down though. I just figured that they had a sound team that was creating sounds per the demand of what's been implemented so far. But if you're right and sound isn't finalized until 90% is done, then I can't accurately judge yet.

I'd have to ask Flux if he remembers seeing any pre-beta test gameplay of Diablo 2, and seeing how the gameplay sounds compared to the final product.

Dnttryme

Banned

I will try to find the article/interview. But I am pretty sure I remember either a Dev talking in the interview or a write-up of someone who went to Blizzcon 2010 that the sound was going to feel like it had a place, based on where your character was in the environment.

This is a quote from what I was talking about before:

"The sound was also well done (as a friend of mine pointed out in the Q&A Panel before asking his question) and had a lot of back and forth panning between ears, especially with sounds of spell effects. For instance, a spells sound would start in both ears, then ring around and fade out into the right ear. If you were talking to a NPC and they were on your characters left side, the NPC’s voice would only be spooked in your left ear, if then you walked right in front of the NPC, the speech would be heard in both ears, and if you walked to the right, the voice would only be heard in the right ear. Good voice acting. I will definitely be playing Diablo 3 in a large pair of nice headphones."

Full article can be found here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blizzcon-2010-hand-on-blascid/

This sounds very similar to this type of sound effect when using headphones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
(dont know how to embed, sorry)
Just be sure to use headphones when listening to this clip

If this is true, it means that Blizzard is at least making an effort to have the sound in the game add a level of immersion. And as said before, I am sure the sound is one of the last things to do, content needs to be done for scores to be written, and monster models are probably not 100% set in stone (at least when the clip posted was from) and therefore making sounds for them would just be a waste of time and resources.

Aranock

Diabloii.Net Member

I will definitely be playing Diablo 3 in a large pair of nice headphones."
Not a fan of headphones...but a nice surround sound system would do the trick ;) Yes yes, we understand it's pre-alpha, we're just speculating and crossing our fingers for some good sound waves in D3 compared to what's been seen so far.

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

IMO a gelatin dummy, just like the ones they use in Deadliest Warrior for testing weapons, would be the best option for recording sound, after you hit it with an authentic weapon. :p

But yeah, it should be polished enough later that we'll all have a treat with the audio. The voice acting alone was so far quite good.

The scene we see Archbishop Lazarus, King Leoric and his wife in DH gameplay trailer is beyond awful. Terrible voice acting along with horrible WoW animations and models.

As for the sounds; they're satisfying but they'll get pretty dull after some time because they are too unrealistic and generally there are 2 types of sound; explosion and tomato smashing.

Last edited:

Wolven

Diabloii.Net Member

The scene we see Archbishop Lazarus, King Leoric and his wife in DH gameplay trailer is beyond awful. Terrible voice acting along with horrible WoW animations and models.

As for the sounds; they're satisfying but they'll get pretty dull after some time because they are too unrealistic and generally there are 2 types of sound; explosion and tomato smashing.
I think they probably took that concept from Sanitarium.

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

Perhaps some of us are more easily satisfied with what we get, me bucko. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to post here anymore, everyone tears the house down with their own separate opinions about how something should be.

It's easy for a master chef to criticize the cooking of the sous chef, but when the sous chef starts to tell the masters how their job should be done, then you're doing it wrong.

Theorycrafting always tears the house down no matter what one says about it. Then when the final product comes out, everyone has their own versions of "I am disappoint" to throw in as the rotten icing on a burnt cake.

Sheesh. :coffee:

Farmrush

Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds can be swapped out and polished easily. I am always really impressed by the attention to sound in Blizz games, and I do not expect this to be any different. Sure, there may be some rough spots, but overall my expectation is both high and, I think, realistic.

marshmallow

Diabloii.Net Member

I remember this over the years waiting for SC2 to release. "They're just placeholders," they said. But the same indistinct, generic, or sometimes muffled sound fx ended up in the final version. So maybe Blizz won't make skeletons dying sound like bursting fruit...but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Aranock

Diabloii.Net Member

I remember this over the years waiting for SC2 to release. "They're just placeholders," they said. But the same indistinct, generic, or sometimes muffled sound fx ended up in the final version. So maybe Blizz won't make skeletons dying sound like bursting fruit...but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
PLEAAAAAAAASE let this not be the case. Everyone think good thoughts. The game looks oustanding. They won't let us down in the sound department.

Chiros

Diabloii.Net Member

That is the Diablo 2 beta, alot of things changed before the release.

I expect the same thing this time 'round.