Game systems in DIII - Things other than clickfest monster slaughter

Ouroboros

Diabloii.Net Member
Game systems in DIII - Things other than clickfest monster slaughter

Looking at the revealed and hinted, and specualtive info about game systems in DIII, I thought i'd make a post to flesh out discussion in the community.

Announced game systems (in the game/or not included):

Skill Runes: Makes your skills do all sorts of crazy things. Very cool ability, pretty much getting a variety of playing options, and accordingly builds.

Lack of Stats: A mechanic prevalent in the first 2 games, and in almost every clone. Gives player some sort of control over character. Allows for some builds which are stat based, but essentially something that worked as a pre-requisite to putting on your gear.

Gear/loot: Of course, most D2 builds were heavily item based, esp. runewords. So expect a fair share of builds related to this factor in D3.

Crafting system: D2 had the Cube, with all the different things it could transmute. D3 hints at the Medallion, but either way, a crafting system has to be in the game to add a different element to the endgame.

Mercenary system: YEs, having, and equipping your merc is a customization, or simply an added layer to the game.

Charms - a quirky way to add customization by contributing to stats.

Pet system: taken from Torchlight, its a cool, and new feature that is fun and useful. NOT in D3

--------------

I would love to see systems that affect your Loot - gems, jewels, dye, magical potions that affect gear without limitations like gemslots.

SOme sort of system to collect craftable raw materials, eg - fishing, monster hides, books, tomes that teach professions like gem cutting (increases gem level), herbology/alchemy - to create potions.

maybe even in-town events, npc related systems based off a fame meter, political gains, favor, in-game organizations you can join - like a warrior's guild, assassin's guild, OR out of town lair outlaws guild. Quests can be given by questgivers as side-quests which have progression. Achievement in rank in such organizations etc.Religion/faith organizations - with added quest lines.

Ability to organize one's own coalition of mercs, NPC warriors can be recruited and join players guild and get gold as payment (in game time system should monitor this system, so payment is progressive) and gain group player quests from npcs. This opens up possibility of player1 + player1 AI allies, vs. player2 + Player2 AI allies form of dueling. Rank/fame can be distributed through this system as well.

ABility to own permanent landmarks .. like a house. It could work with a universal house for sale. JUST like stash in D2. House is universally accessed by all players in game, provided they had bought it. DIfferent progression of houses according to town - Mansions etc. in richer cities. Other elements can then be added to mansion, like statues, decorative elements, servants, harems .. etc. Gives gold more value, and adds gold sink.

Alchemy and potion use can be expanded by adding various afflictions/diseases in-game. POitions can then be made to mitigate these conditions. Other potions can be temporary buff potions, increasing strength, speed, damage etc, block etc. really powerful potions can be crafted with rare raw materials with devastating effects like party-effect potions with shared effects within your party; really good stats that dont spawn on lower lvl potions, etc.

IN-game gambling can be made more interesting by adding a gambling game like dice/cards to better have more control to gain item. Rudimentary chance based gambling can still co-exist as first option is not attractive to all players.

Like mentioned before, fame can be added as an element which effects ranks in social groups, or in whole game world. Rank progression could be reflected by gains in political titles. Fame can be won through quests, monster deaths, pvp points, mansions, houses etc.

another system that i have been conceptualizing but cant fully formulate is a "innovation discovery system" - this would entail hidden formulas, or treasure hunting, discoveries of lost places - specifically, if they included diseases in the game, some of which had no potion recipe for a cure, but there was a cure recipe which players had to find out by experimenting. Or rare treasure maps which drop, which opens a portal to a secret map with hidden treasure .. i dunno .. other inventions could be technological inventions .. hidden formulas of crafting which can enhance your loot .. for examples, say that plant vines were a common crafting drop in D3, and then you discover that by transmuting a specific vine with a certain poition, gives you a vine which is very hardy for bows (will say +dmg to bows). Then you can take this new invention and apply them to your bows. I dunno, like i said im conceptualizing it, but dont have specifics.

So this thread was me thinking and typing so the organization is a little off. The reason I want so many different mechanics in the game is because honestly, after you beat the game a coupla times over, then things like these mechanics, fine-tuning characters, acheiving fame/items/mansions etc. become the focus of continued gameplay. At least for me, it did with D2.

pcguy

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Game systems in DIII - Things other than clickfest monster slaughter

These are all good ideas for end game. Where do you think is the area where they should focus on the most, though? You are all over the map here, between crafting, quests, and mercs, where should the most work be concentrated?

Vadoff

Diabloii.Net Member

Some of the stuff such as alchemy, in-town events, gambling, and treasure hunting are fine. But others...

SOme sort of system to collect craftable raw materials, eg - fishing, monster hides, books, tomes that teach professions like gem cutting (increases gem level), herbology/alchemy - to create potions.
No, adding in professions such as this will stray from the purpose of the game. It'll slow down the action of the game as it will force player who want to reap the benefits of these professions to do them. Iono, just way
too MMO-based for my interests.

Ability to organize one's own coalition of mercs, NPC warriors can be recruited and join players guild and get gold as payment (in game time system should monitor this system, so payment is progressive) and gain group player quests from npcs. This opens up possibility of player1 + player1 AI allies, vs. player2 + Player2 AI allies form of dueling. Rank/fame can be distributed through this system as well.
Starting to get very un-diablo and more into age of empires now... pvp should always be 1v1 not 1+10 allies vs 1+10 allies.

ABility to own permanent landmarks .. like a house. It could work with a universal house for sale. JUST like stash in D2. House is universally accessed by all players in game, provided they had bought it. DIfferent progression of houses according to town - Mansions etc. in richer cities. Other elements can then be added to mansion, like statues, decorative elements, servants, harems .. etc. Gives gold more value, and adds gold sink.
You're aware of how Diablo 3 will be structured right..? This isn't an mmo, there isn't one world that all players can coexist in at the same time. This could be possible to implement, but with only your 3 in-game buddies to show off to at one time it'll feel kinda weak.

Alchemy and potion use can be expanded by adding various afflictions/diseases in-game. POitions can then be made to mitigate these conditions. Other potions can be temporary buff potions, increasing strength, speed, damage etc, block etc. really powerful potions can be crafted with rare raw materials with devastating effects like party-effect potions with shared effects within your party; really good stats that dont spawn on lower lvl potions, etc.
Diseases...? Afflictions...? Alright now we're really treading on MMO territory here. Stuff like that isn't what I want to be worrying about or have to deal with in Diablo 3, let's keep it to killing monsters and gathering loot please.

Sakris

Diabloii.Net Member

Talent-Speccing is a "Game System" too isn't it?

Srikandi

Diabloii.Net Member

This does all sound very MMO-ish ;) The reason people want player housing, professions and so on in MMOs is for players who are not into hardcore endgame gameplay, but want to hang out in the gameworld with their friends anyway. In other words, casual, social players. And I don't quite see the point in a non-massive game, where people don't generally enter a game mostly to chat.

Professions and guilds with elaborate associated questlines sound more like a feature of a traditional full-fledged single player RPG, which are mostly story driven and where the player really can choose an online identity... i.e., really play a role... which is also not typical of the ARPG genre.

I'm not opposed to putting this kind of thing in D3, but it would sure make it into a different kind of game.

Some kind of crafting/item enhancement is expected, of course, as part of the item/equipment system. Similarly, D3 style runes are really part of the skill system, since they modify skills. I see these both as part of core gameplay, not as "extra" systems like player housing or guild play.

As for tech "discoveries", hidden formulas etc, are you intending that they be random? Because if not, they're kind of pointless, since nothing that can be looked up on the internet will ever really be "discovered" by a player after the first week (or less, since folks can find this stuff out by file-diving even if it's very rare or well-hidden in-game). Runewords in D2 were a good example of this :p They did not stay "secret" for long.

I've enjoyed pretty much all the features you suggest here in one or another computer game, but I don't think they all need to be in the same one :) I am not generally somebody who worries a lot about D3 losing its "diabloness", but I also believe that any one computer game shouldn't try to be all games for all kinds of gamers. If you throw a laundry list of every feature found in any RPG, including MMOs and big single-player story-driven RPGs, into D3, you will have a mess rather than a coherent game. There's a reason we're allowed to install multiple games on our computers, and that's so we can get all the gameplay features we want without mashing em all into one place :)

Last edited:

cacophony

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought this was going to be about non-mouse movement so you could move while aiming/using skills w/ the mouse.