Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Game reviews questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Luckymofo, May 3, 2005.

1. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Game reviews questions

How do you tell if a review is unbiased?

Hypothetical question:

If all the reviews of a game are unbiased, but most of them say that game is good, but a couple says it's bad, and you really want that game, which do side do you listen?

This idea came up because I usually read reviews before I buy and I usually listen to the negative reviews because they usually are less biased than positive reviews, at least on GameFaqs.

2. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

Read as many reviews as you can to gain as much of a base as possible. I mean, they can't ALL be biased (unless the liberal media got to them).

3. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Buy it and try it. Then return the box for store credit and pick up something else.

If you're talking about console games, you can rent it from Blockbuster first.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

No review is without bias. That's like reading the opinion section of the paper trying to find the op-ed piece without bias. The trick to reading reviews is to find a reviewer who shares similar tastes as yourself.

Sometimes I read a review of a game, and the reviewer gave it a low score, and when they list their reasons why the gave it a low score, it makes me want the game even more. I can't give any examples off the top of my head, but I know it's happened.

5. Luckymofo

Won't work with pc games, especially ones with cd-keys *cough*

6. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Read reviews from critics from multiple sources. Then read consumer reviews. Thats what I do. I've done it for everything but Halo 2.

Alot of times however, I'll go find a list of "Games of the Year" and typically there will be additional sub categories, then I go buy one of those. They are cheaper because they've probably been out awhile and sold alot of copies.

Example, I'll probably be getting Half-Life 2 about mid-June.

7. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

not true, i bought the d2 battle chest at best buy and opened it at home. Later that day, I got d2 from my friend. So after that I went back to best buy and said that the cd was messed up and i exchanged it for a new one. Now i didnt steal the cd key or anything. All i did was wait a week and went back and returned the new exchanged one.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I believe EB games will take them back. They won't give you cash but will give you credit for another game in the store.

9. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

True, a reviewer is just a regular gamer, he has his preference of games, his style of playing, etc. Sometimes a review can go on about how bad the turn-based battle system is, and give the game a low score because of this, you might give it a completely different review just because you are into turn-base.

10. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I don't pay much attention to game reviews nowdays. I know what games I want, what games I will expect to suck, and what games I just know will suck. Sometimes I'll read reviews to confirm my opinions, or rarely change them.

I want a new RPG dammit.

11. Luckymofo

PC or console (ps2, xbox, gamecube)?

I bought shadow hearts 2 a few months back for the ps2 and it is a decent rpg, a bit linear, but still engaging.

12. Carnage-DVS

I posted a threat on Shadowhearts 2. It looks darn sexy.

As for system, it has to be ps2. currently it has the best fighting games as well as the best rpgs.

13. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

Baldur's gate 3 will be here soon enough

14. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

I buy my games based on what friends tell me, have seen first hand, or have had previous experience with prequils (i.e. Final Fantasy or Tekken series.)

15. Carnage-DVS

I prefer Japanese RPGS over computer ones i.e Final fantasy>Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I mostly check gamespot but I don't trust them at all

rarely they will have an insightful or useful review, like for God of War of MGS3 Snake Eater, but most of the time it's absolute garbage like their review of Kessen III

so, I guess I just read alot, check user reviews, watch movies of gameplay, ask people on gaming forums, etc.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Gah blasphemy

18. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

One word:IGN.

Their reviews carry a lot of weight,you often see the IGN score on any game poster/cover add,They havent been wrong about all the games I bought except D2 :p ,they might give a lower score than you'd expect for a game you like,but they are staightforward in comparing the plus & minuses of games.besides reader reviews on their site are great as well.

But if you are following a game ever since it was announced,like MGS3,Halo2 etc..I wouldnt care about the reviews.

Rik

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

IGN scores are horribly inflated and their reviews can be abysmal since they rush them out quick as they can - they often don't bother to finish the game and they frequently ignore multiplayer, I consider them highly unreliable

they also seem the most prone to bias "I don't like card games so this gets a 6.0" and so on

20. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Sure they do. *cough* Costco *cough*