Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Game crash @ new act

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by lazyassdre, Feb 29, 2004.

1. lazyassdre

lazyassdre IncGamers Member

Game crash @ new act

My friend's D2 crashes whenever he goes into a new act for the first time, most likely due to the "Insert Cinematics Disc" screen. He as reinstalled twice, but it still occurs. The only thing I can think of is something due to the fact that he uses WinXP? If anyone has any suggestions please post.

2. [G.Knightz]K.nG

[G.Knightz]K.nG IncGamers Member

I just upgraded from ME to XP 3 weeks ago and my D2 is working fine. I have no idea what the problem is though.

3. RandomInsanity

RandomInsanity IncGamers Member

maybe he should try full install instead of the one with the cinematics off your comp

4. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Sound is usually at fault here. If you don't have a decent sound card of if you are running the game with the -ns parameter, crashes at acts can happen. If the sound card or it's drivers are not the problem, post your D2 log at the time of the crash.

The D2 log is a txt file in the /Diablo II root directory containing game info. It is named as follows: D2[yy][mm][dd].txt
    Just post the info from the time of the crash on whatever day it was, and i will have a look.

EDIT: You don't have to post the IP or computer name if you post the rest of the log.

5. Spazz-Out

Spazz-Out IncGamers Member

My d2 crashes when I cross acts.

I do not have sound, or a sound card. My speakers and sound card are broken.

Thats probably it.

6. lazyassdre

lazyassdre IncGamers Member

My friend told me that he didn't do a full install, since he usually installs it at a friend's house or his brothers, and then uninstalls. So that might be the culprit. Also, he said that it never crashed during 1.09, the same comp, but he didn't run WinXP. So I will update when he does the full install, and thank you all for your helpful input.

7. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

My game also crashes @ Act switchovers. I tried reinstalling, to no avail. When it crashes, the error message "Unhandled exception blah blah blah" appears. I went to post my D2 log, but can't figure out what I need. What part should I post (it's rather lengthy).

8. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

In the log, find the time at which the crash happened, and post the section from there to the next break. Before you do that though, make sure you do not run the game with the -ns parametre, and update your sound card drivers (or get a sound card if you don't have one).

9. con_drag1

con_drag1 IncGamers Member

Man, this happens to me too. My sound system works well. I guess this problem happeneded like 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've had Diablo for about 2 3/4 years. Although, it does crash before a new act, my Diablo doesn't start up exactly at the time I command it to. It just freezes and says Game (not responding). Everytime I upload cinematics it works fine for like 1 or 2 times since the dl. I just wait till someone can rush me all the way and finish up all acts so I can not have to worry about it any longer.

10. StigMata

StigMata IncGamers Member

I have that issue to. Its generally Unhandled Exception Error 0000006b or something like that. I email Blizzard and still havent responded. I never had this problem for like 3 years of playing. It all started after the 1.10 patch (go figure). I hope someone figures this out soon

11. Maxine

Maxine IncGamers Member

It's 3 yrs later, Patch 1.11b. Sound card is up to date, all drivers up to date, WinXP fully updated. Never a problem before 1.10 patch, still exists in 1.11b patch for me. Game play, in and of itself, is excellent. I never have Lag.. Yes, I said NEVER. I never get disconnected from game, during game. I have a full install. Disconnection happens during cinematics between acts. I've now resorted to not watching them. (Hitting the space bar). I then stay connected and carry on with the game..

ODD! (I've been in touch with blizzard. Attached my msinfo, my dxdiag, my tracert files). I contacted my ISP (I have cable).. no problems in any of that.

I hate when things dont work right!

12. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

just click to skip past the videos, or delete d2video.mpq, then when d2 asks for the cinematics cd click cancel

13. FrankWest

FrankWest IncGamers Member

I had this EXACT same problem, every time I went to a new act. Switching to windowed mode fixed it for me. Haven't had it happen even once since then.

14. JME

JME IncGamers Member

My wife's laptop gets c/i (no problem when playing SP) when going from act 4 to act 5 after the completion of the quest. That's a rare enough occurance that I didn't ever pay it much attention. Maybe I'll try windowed mode next time just to see.

15. FrankWest

FrankWest IncGamers Member

It comes with two big thumbs up from me. Windowed mode actually solved all my problems. I don't lag nearly as bad in eight player games with it (probably since there's less on the screen) and I don't get nearly as many FTJs for some reason. That, in conjunction with not dropping whenever I try to go to new acts for the first time, makes a believer out of me. I can't imagine going back to running it in fullscreen, now. Everything's just so much easier and faster in windowed mode.

16. Ranti

Ranti IncGamers Member

Despite windowed mode being somewhat harder to see at times...maybe I'll switch back to it xD. I don't really have many bugs but I do lag way more often than I think I should so maybe it would help me too.

17. kidsmokin

kidsmokin IncGamers Member

How does one switch to Window mode?

18. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

In your diablo 2 shortcut, add -w at the end of the target line. So at the moment it might read:

Target: "C:\Games\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"

Change it to read:

Target: "C:\Games\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w