Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Game changing runewords

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, May 29, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Well since I started playing 1.13 and then again, since I started running LK, I've came to realization that high-end runewords are actually obtainable in a relatively decent time frame. Sure things like Last Wish are still kind of dreamy but Enigma, CoH etc. are almost easily obtainable (mind me, I am used to pre 1.12 drops and I used to play MMORPG Ragnarok Online for years where best things do not drop at better chance than 2/10001 :D)

What are according to you the biggest game changing runewords? There are obvious choices like Enigma, Infinity, Grief and so on. Are there any other maybe less mentioned runewords that also are a big step up?

I am a noob when it comes to these high-end items but my humble list so far is:

1) Enigma (I think that this one is not even discutable, 6 out of 7 characters get the uber teleport and everyone enjoys 2 skills, str, mf etc.)
    2) Infinity (Breaking immunities especially for lighting is a big thing and lowering the resistances even more for those who are not immune increases the damage of elemental characters a LOT)
    3) Grief (it seems that this is absolutely best pure damage wise one handed weapon not to mention how it interacts with skills like Smite, where it simply cannot be beaten by anything)

There are of course tons of lovely runewords like Dual dream, Doom, Last Wish, Beast, CoH and so on but in comparison to the three rws I listed I feel that they make a less of a difference.

What are you opinions on the biggest game changers? Of course feel free to correct mine list and even add more than 3.

2. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

You basically listed them in the right order. Enigma makes the most out of builds, and most of them can use it. It overshadows any other body armor based runeword. Infinity is in tie with Grief and Fortitude, both make great additions to characters.

3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

In my opinion Call to Arms, Infinity and Enigma are the three runewords requiring high runes in the contest for #1. Grief's effect is much, much, much more comparable to other options than those three are. It depends on exactly what you want to do in the game as to which comes out on top, but I don't think for any but the more niche desires anything tops one of those three.

My personal list:
    1. CtA
    2. tie between Infinity and Enigma
    4. Faith
    5. Chaos
    6. Maybe Grief, maybe something else

That's mostly my sorceress bias leaking in, but what CtA does to building other characters as well is what puts it over the top for me. And just in general a combination of what the runeword does to how I build characters as well as how replacable it is drive my ranking. I don't value Grief terrible high just because it's guaranteed that's what a Lo rune would go into for me that I don't need to think about it (if you plan to swing a weapon with your chars Grief does outpace Fortitude pretty severely) and for the others there are choices.

4. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Adding another personal list:
    1. CtA (HC and all...)
    2. Enigma (Opens up a lot of builds - Windy, Hammerdin, Trapper, Poison nec, the list goes on and on)
    3. HotO (I play casters almost exclusively so yeah)
    4. Everything else

My Infinity is almost unused tbh. Currently on a Blizzballer Baal runner but Insight will do well enough there too. If I could go back in time I probably would have saved my 2 Bers. If you enjoy Lightning sorcs/trapppers/zons it's a good choice tho.

5. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Yep, you pretty much listed most of the big ones, though Call to Arms is a pretty big game changer as well. Faith is another build that can be useful for quite a few characters, actually depending on the merc.

6. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Ok, I'd like to play with thoughts as continuation to Maareek's post.
    Let's say I give gamechanging factor or factor of importance/improvement as 1-10. Just to play with number and to express opinion in more colorful way. Naturally answer will be in regards to PvM cause in PvP things could be slightly different.

10 - would be:
    CtA - cause BO makes insane things for both survivability and efficiency of running for 6/7 chars. I'd say CtA > Enigma in general for gamechanging factor, but difference is so little I'll list both runewords as 10.
    Enigma - cause obvious reasons, also for 6/7 chars
    9 - nothing
    8 - would be:
    Infinity for some characters
    Grief for melee
    7 - would be:
    Insight - yes super cheap and in my eyes super godly runeword to have on merc in many situations. Once you equip your first Insight, you know how ridiculous it is.
    6 -
    Spirit shield - incredibly powerful shield for its price, it allows some awesome gear optimizations and is in general by far strongest shield in the game you could have on most characters, unless you are hardcore and want block.
    5 -
    Faith - could be replaced with Windforce in PvM to good success, but Faith offers a lot to some bowazon, even frostmaiden alike. Just because Windforce is tough competition I didn't list this runeword higher. Could be used on merc too, but I guess it has limited usage in such way, rather novelty one.
    4 -
    Hoto - honestly, easily replaced on most characters I cared to play, so importance of such runeword is not that big. I have like 20 of those and still prefer Wizardspike in some situations. So I don't value this runeword as something important nor gamechanging, but it will slightly boost killing power of your character for sure.
    3 -
    Below are not really game changing runewords, but this list contains runewords like Fortitude and CoH, even Phoenix and Pride that people might like. Also Beast. Chaos i obviously must if you want WW on assassin etc.

BBS_Agonistes and pharphis like this.
  7. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Game-changing is an interesting adjective. If we're talking runewords that actually change the way the game is played, at the top of the list for me would be Enigma, Call to Arms, Infinity, and Insight--I can't add anything to what's already been said as far as that goes. For these runewords, there isn't really an option for replacement, and they are useful for a wide range of builds, not just one particular build, e.g., Dream.

For me Grief isn't quite game changing in the way those runewords are. It's more just ridiculously overpowered. Enigma, Infinity, Call to Arms... they all provide things that nothing else really does. Grief basically does what other high damage weapons do; it just does it better. The +damage does make it interact differently with certain skills, however, but that's not always a good thing for all builds. So, it's certainly game-changing for optimizing most melee builds, but doesn't so much do what the other runewords I listed above do, which is make certain builds quite functional that would otherwise not really be even playable.

Spirit and Insight are also fairly game-changing just because they are so cheap.

I'll just mention it because it hasn't been mentioned: one RW that isn't at all in the class of these others, but does have a big effect, is Delirium. For the characters where I've used Delirium as a merc helm, it has changed the way I played the game, since the monsters behave quite differently for most of the game play. It's probably not even the best choice or even the second best choice for any merc, but it does give the game a different feel, and is thus "game-changing" in a different sense.

8. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

I think Enigma is clearly more game changing than Call to Arms. I think CtA is similar to Grief in that it's not game changing at all, it's just insanely overpowered. There are loads of items which give you life and mana (much like there are loads of weapons which deal damage), it's just that CtA is an order of magnitude stronger than those other items, like in the Grief vs weapons comparison.

Infinity still qualifies as game changing imo, since it's not "just" an increase in damage, it removes immunities and thus enables running of areas which otherwise wouldn't work.

Enigma >> Infinity > Insight > Chaos/Passion > Faith > Spirit/Grief/CtA, or something like that.

Of course it's mostly just semantics and the important points have already been said.

BBS_Agonistes and pharphis like this.
  9. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Agree with the obvious Enigma/Infinity discussion above. Honorable mention for runewords that are game changing for very specific builds, such as Rift and Ice. These runewords aren't just overpowered, they do things that are impossible otherwise and fundamentally change the way the game is played.

10. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

If I had to pick a few that had the most impact I would go with these, in rough order of importance. Nothing beats Enigma, and I mean nothing. It changes how you play many builds. The rest just make your build more effective at what it already does.

Completely game changing: Enigma
    Overpowered damage: Grief, Infinity
    Overpowered utility: CTA, Insight
    Very high damage: Fortitude, Faith, Beast, Breath of the Dying

11. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Good point about CtA. I think a huge thing of what makes CtA game-changing is that unlike most other +life/mana items, you can have it on switch and just cast it, so it can be added to almost any character and immediately make a huge improvement without changing any of the other equipment. It doesn't get in the way of anything else. (I'm sure there are some exclusions, but for the most part.)

12. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

This is exactly how I feel about HotO. It's awesome for every build, yet not really "necessary" for any of them.

13. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

I agree with the big ones mentioned: enigma, cta, infinity, spirit, ect. I think the biggest game changer for me would be grief. I play primarily melee toons, and once you've tried grief, it's hard to go back to other weapons. The fact that it has insane damage(not dependent on base), ITD, IAS, and to top it off some DS - all for the price of a Lo. What blizzard was thinking with that RW, is beyond me.

14. OldSoldier

OldSoldier IncGamers Member

I have never had any high level RW, but to me CtA seems like it would make me lazier because of the life/mana bump. Rather than change the game in a good way it would lead to poorer playing mechanics, at least for me. HC.

15. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

It gives you extra freedom in your merc gearing. Without CtA, keeping an A2 merc up is significantly more difficult. Agreed, CtA definitely gives you a bigger margin for error.

16. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Also gives much more aggressive approach to the game, telestomping stuff becomes legit strategy of fast killing and also it speeds up gameplay a lot since you have both mana and life bonus and can afford to play faster and less cautious. That's why its considered game changing, you can play completely differently compared to when you don't have CtA.

17. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Some areas cannot be run reasonably without using CtA, like nihl for chars that need enigma to tele, for example.

18. TreeOfSmoke

TreeOfSmoke IncGamers Member

CtA is also great for running AT, especially if you use an oculus and teleport into random packs all the time.

All in all, CtA, grief and enigma would be my top picks, but that's because blizzard sorc and frenzybarb are the main builds I play.