Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

GAAACK - Can't kill in hell!!!!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tagkc, Mar 10, 2004.

1. tagkc

tagkc IncGamers Member

GAAACK - Can't kill in hell!!!!

What am I doing wrong? I keep getting my Meteor/FO MFer butt kicked and merc killed when trying baal runs and mephy leaves my poor sorc on deaths door.

Skills:

Meteor - Maxed (31)
    FM - Maxed (31)
    Fireball - 10 (21)
    Warmth - 5 (16)

FO - Maxed (30)
    CM - 2 (12)

ES - 1 (11)
    Static - 1 (11)

And all the necessary pre-req's

Equipment:

Shako (need to get that chamed)
    Occy (got an ist, just need to get it socketed)
    Tal's armor (PTopaz)
    Tal's ammy
    Tal's belt
    SS (PDiamond)
    50% Travs
    40% Chancies
    1 Fire skiller and lot'sa MF and MF/res charms

Stats (after all the +'s added in):

Str - 186
    Dex -218 (got too much here ATM, but I'll need it for max blocking when she gets older)
    Vit - 129
    NRG - 130

I can do Pits just fine, but just can't cut it in Hell Baal or even very well on Mephy runs. I manage to survive, but have to feed a Full rejuv for my might merc or resurrect him.

Or am I expecting too much from my sorcie????

Thanks folks!

2. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

get a holy freeze mercenary and equip him with some good items. delirium, good armor, weapon.

3. fireballx3

fireballx3 IncGamers Member

get a toll reaper for your helper, delerium, and a chain of honor or if your poor then duriels shell. Holy freeze isn't a bad idea either.

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Some obvious points:
    All the points in Energy should have been put into your Vitality.
    With the Meteorb Build and your equipment you dont need 130 Energy!
    Vitality is just crucial.

Also your Faster Cast Rate is below 63%. You need at least 63% to reach the next breakpoint. This way you can escape attacks better when Teleporting down to the Durance of Hate for example.

Your Resists should not be to bad, right? PLease quote those too.

Also one golden Sorceress Mantra: Never sacrifice MF for your Killing power.
    Killing Power also includes beiing able to stand up against what you try to kill ;)

What Rings are you wearing a rare 10% FCR ring with nice mods will help and also a Ravenfrost,especially when getting down to Mephisto.

You might be able to pull it off with just the 60% FCR you have but then your Vitality needs to be higher than what you have now. Life is all that helps!

I have a similiar build and used the equipment setup that you have but had base energy and all else in life also not use SS, but upg Visceratuant.
    So even more points in Life (at 1042 with some sc charms else 990 or so).

So far thats the only flaw i can see.

5. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Yah reaper is the best thing to keep merc alive
    Too much energy/ Too low life
    not enough FCR

I assume you are playing on SC too

6. tagkc

tagkc IncGamers Member

Great, thanks again folks!

Let's see: Resist are - 57 FR/75/75/2 psn (trying to trade for some psn and fire resist mfsc's, but no one wants to give 'em up.

This is non-ladder, so I can't get reapers. But I should trade in ol' Hessen for a Holy Freeze merc then? IIRC, he's the Offensive Act 2 NM merc? Also, I don't think I'm going to pull off the chains of honor anytime soon, so should I dump the shaft for a durials shell? And for a weapon, he is using a hel/amn Brainhew and a perfect Gaze w/ a 40/15 jewel.

As for base NRG - I have enough trouble keeping up my mana as it is. Should I have dumped everything into Vit and forego the ES? The FO and fireball chews through the mana, plus losing a lot of it to the ES hurts.

Hmmm, I've got some rare rings w/ FCR, so I should dump one of the SOJ and equip one of those rings?

Oh, and should I dump some of the mfsc's and equip my life/mana sc's. I have have about 10x of 20/15's, 20/12's and 20/11's.

Again, you guys are great! All help is appreciated :clap:

7. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Don't do a cham in your shako. Sorceresses don't need cannot be frozen. A perfect ruby or resistjewel/um might solve some of your problems. Also your cold mastery needs at least 5 points more. Leveling up might help, for more life/mana etc.

You can get by with 800 life, really. My sorceress has around 1500 (+18 base strength, the rest in vitality) but she is never in danger of dying unless i'm uncareful.

8. tl998

tl998 Banned

How is mephy wiping the floor with you? I'm using some pretty bad stuff when I MF meph, and I rarely die. I use:

PTopaz Tarnhelm
    Occy
    Duriel's Shell
    PDiamond Gerke's Sanctuary
    Tal's belt
    2 nagel rings
    an ammy with 5 mf, lightling resist, and importantly, +str (I lost my otehr ammy which gives 24 mf, resist all, and +str and otehr stuff :rant: ) cuz my freakin boots are so heavy.
    Rare boots with 31 cold and 39 fire resists and 21 mf.

With this setup I have 600 life about with NO DR, and meph is still not a problem.

9. rogier

rogier IncGamers Member

I wonder how you die @ mephy. without merc I can just orb away and he'll die(lvl18 CM here after +skills)even if I don't move at all(and he tosses that fast snowballs at me :p).

A good merc would definately help you. 80% of the times the average merc dies tnx to bad resists/bad DR(rest is iron maiden or frenzy lords :lol: ). looking at your gear it looks like that you can afford a gaze+shaft for your merc, and also a decent weapon. socket your gaze/shaft depending on mercs lvl(my merc-->lvl 92 currently wears eth gaze /w shael and shaft(15resall/7fhr jool)). thanks to that he has 74 resall, making max res if I lvl him once more.

what type of merc you take..pff, no idea. I took an act5 barb because he can tank well, and doesnt die to iron maiden in 2 hits, and stuns monsters. but looking at the act2 merc of my little brother, they have more life(I think), are cheaper to equip, can have an higher damage weapon with good leech(ethereal perf bonehew), and can help you better(reapers toll).

10. mistiquo

mistiquo IncGamers Member

melianor, my pure meteor sorc should be with about 200ene in the end... I don't see how you can manage with less then that basic amount of ene => mana...

11. Camaro

Camaro IncGamers Member

I was wandering how you can manage with just 18 base str you would need an anni to wear enigma bp then equip the rest, an i right here or did i miss something.

just looking at other builds that standard :D

regards

Camaro

12. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Heya Tag,

The observance has already been made, but way too much dedicated to energy. My meteorber just has base, and then wears SoJ's to help pump her mana along. It also has the benefit of increasing killing power.

Drop the chancies for Magefists. It will boost FCR by 20% (putting you at 80% FCR if using 1.10 Tals) and help you break the 63% BP for teleporting. It will increase your killing power and mana regen also. My lvl 83 meteorber only has 600-700 mana and that is plenty. She never runs out, and leaves Meph a rambling mess.

So, message me online and we can meet and discuss the build and i'll play show-n-tell. If you need my account, PM me.

Later,
    'shed

13. tagkc

tagkc IncGamers Member

Shed!!!!!

If you don't mind, I'll catch up w/ you this weekend. My parents are taking my oldest daughter and Wen is doing something w/ the youngest so I get lotsa time :clap: And I still got you on my /f list so I'll catch up with you. Just lemme know when a good time is. Oh yea, on a side note, I quit smoking Sunday (goin on 4 days w/out a cig :clap: and am a little twitchy ATM, so bear w/ me :D

On a side note, got everything lined up to build a CoH for da merc. I'll see how he does and if I'm still not happy, then I'll sink more time into leaveling a HF merc. Oh that's gonna hurt. Poor ol' Hessen has cost me a fortune in resurrections.

14. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

I meant 18 points added to str. 18(added)+10(starting)+18(anihilus)+2(shako) is 48 str. My heaviest item requires 58 str (lidless) so either i have +10 str somewhere or i have 10 base strength more, can't remember.

15. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Sure man- sounds good to me. Just keep an eye out for me. Doubt if I'll be on too much Saturday becasue I am heading to my sisters, but Friday and Sunday I should see some action.

Fight the good fight regatrding thre cigs. I quit, and it's been 6 years. Remember, you are either a smoker or you are'nt a smoker. There is no in between. Once you light up again, you are a smoker.

I quit using the ALA/ACS hypno-therepy session. Once the 45 minute session was over, I threw away my cigs and never looked back. Once session is $50.00, and you get all the follow up sessions you need free for a year. I never needed any, and the cravings were minimal and I didn't loose my mind. They have an 80% sucess rating, so it may be worth a try.

'shed

16. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

I'm not a big fan of Sorcs using SS and the max block thing. I prefer spending those dex & str points in vita. An um'd or PD Lidless is incredible for a sorc, and will get U to that next breakpoint for cast rate

Mine is far from a perf build, but w/ my defiance merc I can do most places in hell just fine solo (gives me near 6k defense - makes up for no SS). Mf runs are easy except for Baal, Diablo, and Travincial, which require absorb equip.

W/ no option for reaver or toll, I'd shoot for a 2x amn bonehew (eth if U can manage it)

Good Luck!

17. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

ES i advise only to be used with telekinesis maxed, else just dont use it.
    ES also is only usefull against pysical attacks (meph teleporting), if you are gonna have mostly elemental attacks (baal runs with gloams, chaos sanct) dont use it.

My sorc uses: shaft, rockstopper, wizzy, upped mosers with eld + pdiamond, magefists, bahamuts amulet, dwarft, raven Tgods / verdungos.
    Tgods i use if i expect heavy lightning attacks (baal runs) verdungos everywhere else.
    80 str, ~150 dex, base energy, rest vita.

the amulet and wizzy along with some charms give me enough mana (~700) life is close to 1000 with the verdungos.

She can venture any place in hell without problems with this setup.

I only want to obtain a shako and mara's for her now. shako will replace the mana from the amulet, maras will replace the resists from rockstopper, life, mf and 4 to skills will be the profit.

When doing meph runs, i use 2 nagelrings instead of the absorb rings and replace the armor and weapon with skullders and gull while i'm moating mephi.

18. melianor

200 Energy?!?! I would use that on a pure LIghtning Sorc but nowhere else.
    With Shako and some items that give mana you can easily get 600-800 mana with base energy!
    Even before i got the good items i had no problem with mana at all. You have 2 no-spammer spells with Meteorb build and later you wil be using Fireball alot too. But the drain is not that hard, so you can afford to drink a few potions.

Unless i build Lightning Sorc or Spammerspell Sorc i would always go with base energy! All the rest into Vitality or Dex, depending on Vitabuild or Max-Block Build.

Before i tried base energy i was scpetic myself. But it works out just fine.

19. tagkc

tagkc IncGamers Member

I've seen several people talking about using base NRG - how do you get away w/ this? I've got like 130 NRG - around 900 mana IIRC and burn through that pretty quick between FB and FO. Is this due to my ES getting zapped? I see that WackenOpenAir eschews the use of it, is that the general consensus?

20. melianor

The people that use ES only use it in conjunction with Telekinesis, so that the amount of man that gets drained becomes less. Otherwise your mana gets zapped our you loose some.

Could very possibly be the source of your mana depletion.
    If i spam fireball and meteor/frozen orb inbetween at an FCR of 63%+ i will ahve to drink 1 potion or too if i dont stop, but thats not really an issue.
    Since you can buy potions. If you feel that your mana bulb is always empty then something is wrong.

I wear mana items. Shako always (lots of +mana at high lvls), Wizzard spike is also a good choice, or small charms with +mana. Basically you should never need heaps of mana, unless you do Telekinesis/Energy Shield (not ES alone!!!) or a pure LIghtning Build. Still then i would NEVER invest 200 points in energy.
    Those points are far better invested into Vitality!

Even without less +mana from other sources (and no ES only!!!) you should do fine with potions.