Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'Fury' runeword for frenzy barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Mr Evil, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

'Fury' runeword for frenzy barb?

After sucessfully making an IK whirlwind barb (tremendously powerful he is) I'm starting to think about making one with frenzy.

Allocating skills is obvious: 20 Frenzy, 20 Double Swing, 20 Sword mastery and the usual warcries and passives.

Frenzy gives a huge AR bonus, so base dex, base energy, enough str for whatever I wear, the rest in vit.

For weapons I see two attractive choices. First is 'Crescent Moon', which I have used before on a zealot paladin. I really like the static field and the runes for it are readily available.

Second is 'Fury'. This has lots of nice mods, most interestingly +5 frenzy. This will add an extra 25% damage and even more AR, which on top of the mods on the weapon should mean I will hit everything almost every time. Also, the 40% IAS will allow me to swing at 5fps with no extra IAS (I will be going with phase blades), whereas I need an extra 15% for the same speed with 'Crescent Moon'. The down side is that the runes needed are very expensive (Jah+Gul+Eth)

So that gives three possible combinations of weapons:
    2 * Fury
    Fury + Crescent Moon
    2 * Crescent Moon

What do you think?

2. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

For reference, here are the stats for the two runewords:

Fury
    3 Socket Melee Weapons
    Jah + Gul + Eth
    +209% Enhanced Damage
    40% Increased Attack Speed
    Prevent Monster Heal
    66% Chance Of Open Wounds
    33% Deadly Strike
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -25% Target Defense
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    6% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +5 To Frenzy (Barbarian Only)

Crescent Moon
    3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms
    Shael + Um + Tir
    10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
    7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    +9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

3. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

The +10 Frenzy from dual Fury weapons is much better on paper than it actually is, I remember people used to have Fury vs shaffars threads, and shaffers always were seen as superior, primarely because of the static, so I'd think that Crescent Moon has it beaten, especially since it has a chance to have higher %ed, and the Open Wounds to boot.

4. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

i think 2 furys would be much better

5. DynastyFury

DynastyFury IncGamers Member

U have to risk the ed thing and fury has more % to open wound

Of course it ur training a frenzy barb so i would take 2 fury for the 10 + frenzy

6. longwood

longwood IncGamers Member

My Advice DON"T do it. I have a frenzy gold find barb that does quite good but one problem, The fury's are a FORTUNE to repair. They lose about 2 durability and its about 300K to repair. Screw the repair recipe its not worth it. Go for the eth botd cb's with some +skills and you will be right where you wanna be without the fury's

7. DynastyFury

DynastyFury IncGamers Member

Dude i get ur point, but Fury is worth it
    Who would mess up the repair recipe so i say ( go with it )

8. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Lots of points to consider. Concerning the repair costs, it won't be a problem if I use phase blades (that also means I can use superior ones, for up to 15% more ed), which reminds me: it shouldn't say 'base dex' in the first post, it should say enough to wield phase blade.

I'm not even going to consider a BotD weapon because they are so common now (every game I go in to I see ethereal weapons wielded by at least one person, on ladder too) and I want to be a little different.

9. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

what about schaeffers hammer? mighty they are

oh yeah and 2 of them would give you all the AR you need

plus it doesnt take THAT much ias to hit 6 frames with them

10. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Well, doesn't the +5 per sword Frenzy get capped at +3 total for the skill?So you are only getting a total of +3 to Frenzy.

'shed

11. this_barb

this_barb IncGamers Member

i think since its +5 frenzy (barbarian only) it does not get capped.

12. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

No. Fury's +5 to frenzy is the "barbarian only" type of skill adder, therefore you will get the full +10.

I like the double Fury setup better because of the life leech and deadly strike, but you should find a way of getting some static in the mix as it's great for weakening the masses while you smash away at an enemy boss. My solution was to arm my barbarian merc with my old Crescent Moon legend sword - that lets my frenzier wield heavier-hitting weapons. Looking back, I probably should've made CM in a polearm to give to an A2 might merc, but 1) at the time the CM legend sword was a big improvement for me in the weapon department, and 2) I just like A5 mercs (barbarians uber alles!) ;)

13. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Good to know- I just recently found out about the +3 to specific skill cap and didn't know if this was lumped in with it.

Thanks!

'shed

14. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I did some testing in single-player and it feels like dual-fury is more effective with the leech and higher overall physical damage.

Physical immunes are a problem. Maybe a high elemental damage weapon and shield on switch would help (would rather not get berserk to save skill points).

Swinging at 5fps with no extra IAS is veryfast and very fun. The +10 frenzy doesn't add a lot of damage or AR, but it could allow for fewer points in frenzy, which I think would be very useful as I was getting hit a lot with no shield and only one point in shout. A defiance merc would probably help too.

Now I just have to somehow work up enough to trade for two Jahs and two Guls...

15. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

I suggest you stick with frenzy. The increased speed will help you take down phys immunes much faster. Find two weapons that have good speed and lots of elemental damage. I keep a pair of weapons like this in my stash and tp back to town when I need them, as my switch is permanently occupied by my +3 warcries swords.

16. longwood

longwood IncGamers Member

Mr. Evil I am trying to get rid of my two fbb's if you are interested tell me and we can work something out. One of them is sup. that I made awhile ago. Just pm me and let me know. Just mainly looking for some runes