Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fury Rabies Druid w/pvp questions

Discussion in 'Druid' started by riker, Sep 16, 2006.

1. riker

riker IncGamers Member

Fury Rabies Druid w/pvp questions

Hey guys! I have been a long time reader and I have decided to post and ask for some community advice about a few PvP questions.

current spec:
    riker 91 west NL druid
    Fury/Rabies: 20 fury, 20 poison creeper, 20 rabies, 20 wolf, 17 or so lyck, 1 raven/spirit wolf/oak (with pre-buff around 12 or so)

Pre-buff: 1 bull cathos, 1 spider sash (I kid you not I got this soloing baal with this druid after a p8 baal run with only the 90% mf from enigma), cta, and spirit.

Typical PvP Gear: Ber Jhalals, Archon Enigma, ebotz/Um’ed SS, verdungo, highlords, dual ravens, gorerider, and bloodfist. Does about 4000-6000 fury and 28k rabies on Character screen
    Typical PvP Caster/Smiter Gear: Swap for CoA (enigma in the Smiter case), and a non eth tomb reaver with Stout’s suggestion of two ed/ias jewels and a Lo. Does about 5000-8000 fury and 30k rabies on character screen.

You might ask why I don’t use Angelics. Currently I need (or feel that I need) the IAS from highlords to reach the higher frame for tomb reaver. Perhaps I should socket another Jhalal’s with some form of IAS.

Rabies Switch: full facet crystal sword, and full facet monarch.

I have about 4500-5000 life depending on various setups and when I occasionally cast my 1+11 oak sage.

Inventory: some skillers with and without life, 18/18 torch, anni, small charms with poison, life and resists etc.

First of all, I love this character and the build. It is very fun to go up against a bigshot str bugged beast/grief barb and rabies them to death, perhaps with fury for the win. I have never seen another wolf in any PvP game on west NL besides Zebb so it is fun to have people say “Wow I never knew wolves were still viable.â€

I am also very satisfied in this character’s PvM ability since it can deal with any mob in the game save fighting large amounts of physical immunes, and the ubers who I have not tried yet with this character.

After dueling a wide range of classes I have two major problem classes which I hope to get some feedback on:
    1) Lightning Trapsin: Often times I can stack resists and tomb reaver them if they tele next to me; however, I have recently found it increasingly difficult to even get close enough to do that anymore. For instance, last night I felt like I was mind blasted from both sides 2 screens away from a trapsin. When I asked them how they did it they said “namelock.†To be honest, and a bit noobish, I still don’t understand how they accomplished this. Basically it resulted in me being FHR’ed from two sides and unable to move. I hate to ‘cry’ about it but I really have no idea how to stop it. Times like that I wish blizz would allow us wolves to teleport like every other class is able to do.

2) Smiters: I would say I win 15-25% of the time versus Smiters. What kills me the most? Their bloodly life-tap firing. LT seems to fire every shot for a Smiter. Typically I try to rabies, switch and then run in hopes that the LT on me will expire, but then when it does and I shift fury, their LT fires again and I die. Perhaps I just need to be patient, or wear draculs against them.

I would also like to learn the benefits of walking in duel situations as apposed to running. I have read several times that people do this, but I have never understood why.

Thanks in advance for the replies, and I am glad that there are others that love this class as much as I do.

Aroooooh!
    -riker

2. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

If you use a 15% Verdungo + Stormshield you will hit the 50% Dr mark , So unber that Jalals and put somthin more usefull in it.

Maybe a 5/5 Posion facet , 40ed jewel , shael too try and hit the 86%fhr , or um too tank few more ele hits.

Also id try out a 45+% bramble , Trang Gloves , +3 shape ammy for a good rabies boost , that gear can be really effective vs smiters and barbs with the rabies switch trick as the posion should be enought too kill most unless they super stack pd res.

3. riker

riker IncGamers Member

cool man I will certianly try to get those items and try them out. Any advice regarding the trapsins/minblast?

4. ToThePoint

ToThePoint IncGamers Member

Hmm looks like you are missing some basics.

you dont get any faster with highlords - you will however do more damage when you hit but you do not hit any faster.
    So no highlords for speed and no ias sockets off weapon.

if you can walk and still hit do so - you retain max block - when you run your defense drops to 1/3rd and your defense is effectively zero.

5. riker

riker IncGamers Member

Ahh I see...ya this is my first real PvP character, back in .8 and before I was mostly PvM. I will give walking a shot.

6. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

in stoutwolf's guide, he maxed oaksage instead of wearwolf. What is better to max?

7. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

This issue has been debated countless times. Here's the gist:

Maxing WW: More anti pally stuff (namely AR) but less life

Maxing Oak: More tanking stuff (life) but stupid spirit

Choose your poison ;)

8. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

my ar is only 12k. How much will angelic set boost it by? I use dual ravens.

9. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

~5k with only one ring if I remember correctly

10. riker

riker IncGamers Member

For my play style I am happy that I didnt max Oak. I remember making a druid long ago with max oak and it still died fast, even in pvm. I just use oak as fireball/trap bait when dueling.

11. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

do i get more attack if i use 2 angel rings and ammy?

12. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

You get more attack rating.

13. stoutewolf

stoutewolf IncGamers Member

more attack rating, this means you have a higher chance to hit characters :thumbsup:

14. riker

riker IncGamers Member

Just wanted to say thank you to you Stoute for creating your guide and hosting it. It has been very helpful :grin:

15. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

ok with 2 angel rings and ammy my ar is 20kish. But i still cant hit barb and pallys with their 30-40k def. How is a druid suppose to hit with so little ar?

16. MaStAViC

MaStAViC IncGamers Member

Hey, Kiba,
    Here's a newbie question: Can you describe the "Rabies switch trick?"

Thank you,
    -=MaStA ViC

17. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

Electric Blue's guide: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=570, under "Rabies Damage Boost" section

18. MaStAViC

Ah, thanks for pointing me towards the right direction.

Appreciate your help,
    -=MaStA ViC

19. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

20. MaStAViC