Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fury Druid Setup Advice?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by lukefojut, Apr 11, 2008.

1. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Fury Druid Setup Advice?

Hi guys.

I'm going to start over after making a few small mistakes with my Pure Fury Wolfie and would like some advice.

Skills:

Max Werewolf
    Max Lycanthropy
    Max Fury
    Max Oak Sage Maxed Grizzly last time, not so good!
    1 Point in the useful pre-requisites

Anything I'm missing?

Stats:

Strength - As little as possible (can get by with a fairly small investment for my gear)
    Dex - this is very much open for debate!
    Vita - Most of the points the standard!
    Energy - Nane!

Please look at my gear choices before suggesting tips!

Gear:

Jalal's Obvious choice
    Amulet - +2 Druid, +2x Str, @Res
    Armour - Forti in +15% ED Wire Fleece
    Weapon - Griswold's Cadeceus with 3*ED/IAS jewels and a Ber
    Shield - Stormshield, possibly socketed with a -15% Req jewel?
    Belt - Verdungos Again, seemed fairly obvious?
    Gloves - Dracs
    Rings - 20 dex Raven and Rare LL/@ Res rings
    CTA and lidless on Switch
    Boots - Gore Riders
    18/18 Torch
    15/15/x Anni
    SS Skillers - 12% FHR, 2*+6 Str, 2*10-20 Lifers
    SCs - various Res/FRW and Res/HFR

Is my attempt to use a one handed weapon and shield a waste of time? A friendly Forumite (Findux) told me that my weapon should make the 4fpa breakpoint and the damage is ok, with good CB.

I would love to use Stormshield for the %DR and the other benefits it offers, but I think it's a little stupid to use a shield without max block? Then again, I'd need a considerably higher investment into Dex to achieve this, unless I {Nef?} the shield. Is a Stormshield-using Shaper viable, or am I attaching too much importance to +% DR?

Would I be better working on my resists and using a higher Lvl Oak sage coupled with a 2-hander?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd love some feedback, especially from someone who has used this setup. I currently struggle to solo Hell and this just isn't acceptable for my level :embarassed: That said, I'm not using the Ber'ed Caddy yet (using a lower one with Shaels) and I haven't rolled my CTA.

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: Fury Druid Setup Advice?

Is this PvM or PvP?

If PvM, look in the stickies for the Fury Wolf Uber guide. If PvP, look at the Fury/Rabies guide.

For PvM, here are a few ideas:
    - Max Fury, WW, Lycan and Heart of Wolverine (which is better than Oak unless you're playing hardcore). Put rest of points in summons (Grizzly)
    - Go with Ribcracker as your main weapon. Preferably upped and Shael'd. It's the best weapon available for a PvM wolf. The problem with using a shield on a wolf is the very slow block rate; in the time it takes to block you can attack twice (almost).
    - If you go with Ribcracker you can keep Dexterity at base (AR comes from skills and equipment)
    - Your gear is fine but Highlords is better than the rare amulet you mention.

3. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Is this for pvp or pvm? For pvm a 2 hander works quite well you wont need to block and your dmg will cut right through everything. For pvp you will need a 1 handed set up with max block and 2 handed set up for the added range.

4. KellKheraptis

KellKheraptis IncGamers Member

Is this for PvM or PvP? If the latter, I would definitely stat for max block with a Stormshield. The rune in question to increase block % is Eld (my pure fury uses that, along with a Ber Jalal's to open belt slot for a crafted). As for an amulet, in either case a Highlord's will do more for you than a skiller. Also, don't forget to have 1 pt at least in Cyclone Armor if you PvP. It's a lifesaver against torchfire. What Ed said about Ribby is totally true for PvM, it's a smexi sounding beatstick of awesomeness, with the bonus of killer stats. That and it looks pro having a staff in channel (if only a "robe" looked like a robe in channel...the look would be complete, then).

5. lukefojut

Thanks guys - he's PvM and it looks as if public opinion is against me using a 1-hander w/shield! Never mind, it's proving hard work to get that Perf Caddy anyway...

6. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

Since you're PvM you could put one point into Grizzly and rest to Dire wolf (to give Grizzly more life)

Verdungo's is a great belt, though a Blood crafted OW/fhr/life/str/res belt would be much better, very expensive though :rolleyes: You should also note that the life from +vita from dungo's will not get multiplied by BO/WW/Oak.

IMO max/AR/life or AR/life sc's are better than skillers for a pure fury wolf.

Ribby is actually a very good option for PvM, though 1-hander+storm will make you survive better. You'll also have a 4 frame attack and enough cb. You could socket Stormshield with Eld (saving some stat points), Shael (gives you one frame faster blocking) or a crazy jewel.

7. lukefojut

Fair enough - what do you think of the statement listed below? Is using a shield that much worse than the Ribby?

8. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

Well, the block rate is'nt that slow on wolves. It's faster than the human druid, necro and WB. With 48%FBR (Stormshield 'Shael' = 55%FBR) you'll have a 5 frame blocking, which is'nt that bad. A barb for example will just block one frame faster with the same shield.

Nah, not really. Shield does also works great in PvM IMO, you'll keep yourself alive easier and still have a fast attack and decent CB.

9. lukefojut

Follow-up question then Findux - what should I do about Dex if I decide to keep the SS?

10. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

Pump it until you get max block. The life you'll loose for not putting them in vita will not be big since druid does'nt get much life/vita. To be able to block 3 of 4 hits is better than slightly more life.

11. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

IMO a shield isn't needed for pvm, especially with the low req. of an upp'd ribby. You should have enough life to just be able to attack with fury without many problems.

It's all personal prefrence I guess.

12. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

True, a shield is'nt needed in PvM, but since he already got a 1-hander+shield he could stick with that. It have lower damage and CB, but faster attack, max block, 35%DR which makes it possible to PvP with him aswell.

13. dabeas

dabeas IncGamers Member

here is my fury setup, and i couldnt ask for anything better, it makes for a lot of fun.

jalal's w/ all res jewel
    ap coh - this build runs a bit low on res
    highlords :)
    2x raven :)
    ebotd gpa - god i love this thing
    adlurs boots - u could u gores here if u wanted, but i already do enough dmg, and wanted a bit of frw
    dracs - LoH or bloods would also be a good fit, but i really like life tap
    string of ears - these thing are cheap, and sooooo good
    switch - spirit monarch + +1 druid + ss skills unique weapon thingy

Max Werewolf
    Max Lycanthropy
    Max Fury
    Max how - i already have ~4k life, so i went w/ how instead
    rest posion creaper - well, i had a lot of left over pts, and didnt see anything else i liked

there are 2 things that i have found overrated for non-uber pvm, that is defense, and max dr. they are both nice, but unless ur hardcore, i dont worry too much about it. this guy is all about insane killing speed, and he always delivers.

14. PacoQuerak

PacoQuerak IncGamers Member

Nothing keeps me alive like e tomb and life tap. Block will not help you vs uber mephisto.

15. Findux

Findux IncGamers Member

Who have said PvM only is about Uber Mephisto?

16. PacoQuerak

PacoQuerak IncGamers Member

no one, but everything else is easy or physical immune so your gonna run away anways.