Further developing of Cold Sorc

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member
Further developing of Cold Sorc

I am now Clvl 71, End of NM Act 5, ready to take on Baal and have been doing fine so far with

Cold mastery: 8
Frozen orb: 6
Blizzard (and others): 1

all +6 by equipment (Ocy, Manald, SoJ, Sigon's shield, tarnhelm)

I have 55+ points left to distribute in the skills tree.

What's your best bet how to further develop this setup? Which main mastery provides optimal completion or is rather mandatory to make it through Hell?

You may name it and post a link for the appropriate build guide if this saves you effort.

Or shall I just stick with Cold?

I run an Act 2 merc with Demon's Arch and MF gear.

Thanks a lot.

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Further developing of Cold Sorc

First of all, switch shield to splendor RW. It's dirt cheap and offers +1sk, fcr & mf.

Secondly, I would advice going Fireballer / Frozen Orber. Here is a link to a build using that.

This way, you do not sacrifice damage (much) for great usability! (Dual element -> ALOT easier work in hell because @ hell you will see ALOT cold immunes.)

Also switch your merc's weapon to a insight.

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member

Hello nurman,

cheers for the feedback. Thanks for the hint about the runewords, can't believe I didn't have these in focus.

My offensive hand holds the Ocy along with Lidless Wall, but I think I could affort replacing the latter wit Splendor.

SeCKSEgai

Diabloii.Net Member

The guides are in the sorc forum in a sticky.

You'll definitely want to check them out, as you'll probably adjust your build from what you learn.

Cold alone won't work in Hell unless you plan on relying on your merc and paying the gold to res him.

reBornz

Diabloii.Net Member

Cold only will not get you though Hell. You need to spend points on your other tree.. e.g. fire.

I have a Lv92 fire wall/orb Sorc it plays pretty well in Hell solo or in group.

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member
Been there, done that...

Alright, killed Baal and the Cow King (btw: One of the crabbiest drops I could think of. Can you believe that besides some low-quality rare stuff, he dropped 2 (two) Cathan's Meshs? Aaargh!).

Once more again, thanks a lot for the heads-up about Cold immunity in Hell. Been facing a lot of Cold immunes right from the start in Act 1 so far, and it has become real tough. Still have some 30 points to spend.

-> Now, in contrast to nurman's link posted, I would favor Firewall over Fireball as a supplementary spell to Firebolt. FW seems to cause more damage on packed monsters.

-> Moreover I am considering building Leaf RW as a main 'fire' weapon for my 2nd hand on either this one:

Code:
Superior Jared's Stone
One-Hand Damage: 8 to 18
Durability: 41 of 50
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 30
Orb Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x3d65f374
+24 to Life
+2 to Attack Rating
+1 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Fire Mastery (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
Socketed (2: 0 used)
or that:

Code:
Battle Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 6 to 13
Durability: 31 of 40
Required Level: 30
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0xc1f369b9
+3 to Fire Mastery (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (2: 0 used)
On both, any thoughts/pros/cons? :coffee:

Cheers for your feedback.

SeCKSEgai

Diabloii.Net Member

Leaf is more of an in between weapon - end game wise you use weapon/shield, as you get far more benefits from two sources than any one staff is able to offer.

Florio

Diabloii.Net Member

Alright, got you. What's your advise on Firewall over Fireball?

michaeljay

Diabloii.Net Member

The best part about 1.13? Respecs. If you're not being rushed and power-leveled, you can setup your sorc to handle immunes by creating a build like a meteorb. Then when you've gotten to where you need to be, lvl85+, end-game gear equipped on both you and your merc, switch over to a pure blizz sorc (assuming this build is for mf'ing). IMO the blizz sorc, with a well-equipped merc, is the way to go for someone who cannot afford Infinity. MF'ing is all about speed, and speed is all about damage, and hybrid builds cannot compete with a pure blizz sorc for damage...just dodge the areas with CIs (lvl83+ areas don't always spawn them) excepting the CS, where your merc can easily take down OKs, thanks to the second best part about 1.13: the removal of IM. Many cookie-cutter players don't even try to mf areas like the WSK and the River of Flame because of the possibility of facing a CI spawn. They just autopilot the Ancient Tunnels exclusively. CIs don't spawn all of the time on these alternative areas, not even the majority of the time (I don't think), and if you run into some, then just go elsewhere. And if you're out of areas...make or join a new game. How can any self-respecting blizz sorc turn down the possibility of WSK lvl 2 spawning zombies, snakes, and best of all melee flayers?