Funny translations in various D2 language versions

mub

Diabloii.Net Member
Funny translations in various D2 language versions

Hi, I just thought it'd be intersting to see other language bloopers in different D2 versions:) I have the polish one, so i'll start:
Bearded Axe-it's a typo, it should be brodaty topoR, but it's topoW:)
Orb(the type of which Eschutas is)-translated as tajemny luk, which is....secret bow:)
and my favourite...the Lawbringer runeword- translated into Lamiacy Prawo, which is Lawbreaker:):)

I'm sure other versions have such mistakes, so let's see them:)

Furyan

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Funny translations in various D2 language versions

Well I think most of us play the game in English, which seems nothing but logical to me :cool:

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

I remember having played the Russian 1.07 LoD. The Fool's prefix there was translated to Stupid prefix. Quite a laugh.

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator

Well I think most of us play the game in English, which seems nothing but logical to me :cool:
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In some countries, for example in Poland, the English version was difficult to come by and could not be purchased by official channels.

I think that the German version is quite popular as well and I know there are also French and Spanish versions.

There are probably a lot more language versions out there. I've used English version since late 2007 only, mostly because I was fed up with memorising translations of some class specific items like claw and necro head types.

Zalcitabine

Diabloii.Net Member

What bugs me most with th french version is that multiples items will often have the same name: "couronne" will stand for crown, corona and coronet. So you have to check every unique crown on the ground to see if it's a CoA or just Undead crown.

Many runeword translations are funny too:
Smoke is "soupe" (soup)
Lionheart is "livre" (book)
Call to arm is "cicatrice" (scar)
among others

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

In the German version, the Diggler (unique dirk) translates to the digger in German while everybody should know that it has to remain unchanged :rolleyes:. However, the point would be missed anyway because dirk translates to Langdolch (long dagger).

prion

Diabloii.Net Member

who does these translations?

Stupid mod is understandable but Book? Soup?

It sounds like someone has just put in whatever words they felt like.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh well, as long as it's better than 'all your base'. :wink3:

Zalcitabine

Diabloii.Net Member

who does these translations?

Stupid mod is understandable but Book? Soup?

It sounds like someone has just put in whatever words they felt like.
Third party companies/individuals. They are supposed to do some research before but it's difficult for them to be 100% accurate as they are asked to do all sort of different things and topics.

If a Dutch version came out I wouldn't even use it, because of these stupid translations. They'd take away whatever feel a word brings to an item.

Furyan

Diabloii.Net Member

If a Dutch version came out I wouldn't even use it, because of these stupid translations. They'd take away whatever feel a word brings to an item.
Yeah indeed, like for example, imagine they start translating certain stuff literally... "De stinkende adem van de stervenden" (BotD), "Kroon der tijden" (Crown of ages) or "Laatste wens furieuze bijl" (LW BA)...

I think I'll stick with the English version :cool:

Yeah indeed, like for example, imagine they start translating certain stuff literally... "De stinkende adem van de stervenden" (BotD), "Kroon der tijden" (Crown of ages) or "Laatste wens furieuze bijl" (LW BA)...

I think I'll stick with the English version :cool:
Haha, if I could only share this humour to non-Dutchies....:prop:

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Says rather a lot of our national pride. I imagine it could work, I'd like to do part of the translation. Problem is the cheapness of the teams hired to make a Dutch version, and the utterly random+cheesy voice actors. For English versions they hire the pros who go overboard in ugly growls, while for a minor language they might hire some devvers teenage daughter with an audio sample kit.