Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fun with Ravens

Discussion in 'Druid' started by traalor, Oct 3, 2006.

1. traalor

traalor IncGamers Member

Fun with Ravens

I was curious about what point there is to leveling up ravens past 5. Obviously, they last longer. But what else comes from leveling them up?

So, I made a new druid, and put only points into Ravens. What I observed:

1) After about 10 levels, I discovered that the blinding happens very quickly, and lasts a long time (or just happens over and over as creatures get hit), but never against elites or uniques. It seemed to happen more often as I sunk more skill points into it.

2) Ravens aren't very useful against fast creatures if you're running away. Not that it's really necessary to run away much in act 1 normal, which is what I've gone through so far, but against anything else, including Andariel, I could just run around in circles and take little or no damage (Andy hit me once with the area poison spell, and me with cleglaw's claw and a ring with 25% poison length reduction ^_^)

3) Ravens will, if there are no visible enemies, often show you where the closest enemy is if there are some just off screen. And sometimes they'll attack them for you.

4) Ravens ignore walls, fenches, boulders, and anything else as long as they can see over them. Often I would run into a room and just hide behind a bunch of barrels once I got to the monastery.

5) And finally, they'll generally attack whatever's closest to you, including abandoning a creature that's badly hurt but still dangerous to attack a fresh one.

If no one knows the answer to this, I'll test it out myself later, but: Do abilities like the Might aura and Wolverine affect Raven's damage? Can a Sorceress cast Enchant on them?

2. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

Auras don't affect Ravens, and they can't be Enchanted.

3. traalor

traalor IncGamers Member

Good to know... guess I'd need to find an amp damage wand or something like that to increase raven damage then, huh.

4. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Based on my summoner with lvl 18 ravens, I don't believe there's any real change in effect besides just number of hits, which in fact will increase your odds of blinding more enemies for longer periods. Now the length of blinding... that's something to check out, maybe it increases?

They give additional hits and stall people, that's their only use... i almost never duel without 5 out around me. Even if, say, a hammerdin has to flinch for a split sec to block, that's one less hammer... well, at least that's how I think about it.

5. Valvolux

Wands can’t have amp damage charges.

6. hhhrobi

hhhrobi IncGamers Member

i love ravens in pvp :tongue:

7. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

I've found something weird about Ravens.

I was dueling a Sorc with chilling armor yesturday and I discovered that the Ravens froze when attacking her and even died before finishing they're hits (14). Yested it multiple times and the max hits they got were three. Anyone else notice this.

8. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

@ Verashiden: I remember reading somewhere that there are certain spells which can kill ravens, chilling armour being one, I also recall hammers being another (go figure). I'll post a link if I can dig it up (it might even be somewhere in this forum).

9. traalor

traalor IncGamers Member

Well, I'm certain if I look around enough I'll find something like it. Like the amulet with charges of Attract that I found back when. Though why can't they? I've seen charges of other necromancer spells on wands, and amp is only a level 1 skill right?

Also, does the blinding work against players, hirelings, or summoned creatures?

10. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

things i have noticed about ravens:

when a raven attacks, the enemy has a chance to block the ravens attack.

when a raven has a successful attack, enemy goes into hit recovery.

higher level raven has a higher chance to blind enemy. also i think the level of player and enemy has an effect here.

palidin auras do not help ravens or vines.

not sure if ravens benifit from curses. amp, terror, and decrept would be the only ones if any.

11. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

pvm wise I can see how ravens would help out a bow using druid, if any one actly made one.

12. traalor

traalor IncGamers Member

Or an elemental druid, if you happen to have any skill points left over.

13. dokuro

dokuro IncGamers Member

I really hope they give ravens a huge boost to damage + a synergy or something next patch, I'd love to make a ravener druid that uses em as a main source of damage

14. HeroZero

HeroZero IncGamers Member

be like a Carrier from Starcraft, haha

15. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

if they did that, they'd have to let them be able to be killed as well, or else it would be too easy.

16. Valvolux

You can only have charges of the following necro skills;

Teeth, Poison Dagger, Bone Spears, Poison Novas, Bone Spirits, Dim Vision, Weaken, Terror, Confusion, Life Tap, Attraction, Lower Resistance.

You can blind summons, hirelings but not other players.

AFIAK this isn't true, I'm going to do some tests and report back. Edit: Yeah doesn't force hit recovery, on monsters or players.

17. traalor

traalor IncGamers Member

Guess I'll just have to group with my friend who has a necromancer with a few levels of amp then - no biggie. Seeing what might happen when/if I get truly high levels of Raven is more for giggles than anything else. And it would be amusing to see how far I can get with just Ravens as my sole skill, without using any ability points, and only using what items I pick up with that character.

18. Joshua

Joshua IncGamers Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, it won't work.

My all time favorite char is a loaded up hunter druid, and you will find that ravens and amp (or decrep for that matter) conflict with each other.

When the blind kicks in it overrides amp, hunters who use lacerators quickly learn to not summon ravens against PI's and sturdy bosses.