Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

fun with fraps

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dune6836, Jun 27, 2005.

1. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

fun with fraps

i was looking at the speed running article on diabloii.net and i wondered how they recorded their efforts. A little searching led me here.. http://www.fraps.com/
    unfortunatly the new version, whilst it looks great, only works for winxp.
    after some more searching i found an old version and i recorded a pindle run:)
    you can find it here.. http://rapidshare.de/files/2611614/mushy3.WMV.html
    scroll down the page and click "free" scroll down again and, after the timer runs out, right click and save as on the file "mushy3.wmv"
    any of you have fraps? any fun runs to share? post em here:) dune

2. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

looked like a pindle run to me :clap:
    I was suprised that 40 seconds of video was that large(1.4mb), well not that suprised, but i wonder how that guy recorded 2 hours of video\, and what the size of that was.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

The HL2 done quick video, lasting several hours too, was measured in gig, not mbs I recall.

4. adeadrat

adeadrat IncGamers Member

i did a pindle run with fraps, but i cant get the file size down enough. Best i can do is ~5megs. What codec did you use for compression or what utility did you use? I tried VirtualDub and TMPGEnc. However, mine is not as small (physically) as yours.

o well here it is anyway

Run done with my Meteorb with ~600MF

5. dune6836

fraps doesnt have time to make any compression at all. the file i got was 177mb! i used windows movie maker to recompress it to .wmv. i used the medium compression. i tried the higher compression and the file size was ~500k but the quality suffered. it wasnt brilliantly clear to start with. diablo uses gammer correction to control brightness and the old version of fraps that i had to use doesnt support that. i think if i had virtualdub i could have altered the brightness so that it looked as it does in game?

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The way i record it is using half size, 25fps (less jolty that way) with no sound. Becasue its recording on the fly, it doesnt have time to compress it, but i find if you use something like virtualdub you can compress it to divX format (avi). for a 1 minute recroding, shouldnt take more than 4mb in file size that way.
    I also recorded my fight with hell baal for my psychic hammersin, but becasue the fight lasted for about 40 minutes, it was an uber big file (2gb uncompressed, which is about DVD size) and it was never going to get down enough to share it over the www.internet.thing

7. dune6836

if you encoded it into .wmv you could use windows movie maker or ASF tools (free and great, google will help you find it) to chop it into managable sizes. you could host it then.
    --
    edit. this is also a useful tool, for splitting up any large file.. http://www.tomasoft.com/mswin95.htm

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yea i know how to do all that, i do a bit of movie compressing/cutting myself with DVD's i rent, but a 40 minute file would still have been way to big to host for free on any site. Tis gone now, but i might start recording all my hell baal quest fights, for posterity.

9. dune6836

yes free hosting of large file is tricky. there are 2 sites that i know off that let you host upto 50mb files though. rapidshare that i used above and http://www.megaupload.com/ i know that rapidshare allows split archives.
    i have done a fair bit of video editing too. i enjoy making timelapse movies of things growing and have made lots of movies with webcam of my garden as it changes too.

10. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

That's hilarious guys.

I got a great chuckle at watching others do their pindle runs.

I'll have to do the same thing sometime.

If someone asks a question about "moat trick" or "pindle running" we can just point them to the movie file.

dune6836, I noticed that you clicked on the full rejuv. Do you use Telekinesis? It's an awesome skill. You can really quicken up play by using TK to pick up gold and full rejuvs from where you are standing so that you don't have to tele over and get close. Not sure whether you use TK because you were so close to Pindle's pack anyways.

The nice thing is that you don't accidently pick up a flail, for example because TK can only pick up gold and potions now. The bad thing is that you can't pick up items if you really wanted to. Oh well.

adeadrat, I noticed that you fireballed right away. Do you use Static or glacial spike? I find that when I go higher players settings it's really necessary to use GS to freeze the charging Pindle pack so my merc doesn't go into hit recovery = certain death. Even on p3 i'll still tele over and then freeze with GS, static 3-4 times, GS and then fireball the rest.

I'll have to "frap" my MF runs and get a critique.

11. dune6836

first point. i thought if this too. it would be great for explaining things or for asking for tips. also, whilst i was looking round the speedrun site i dl'd several of the smaller runs to see what some of those games looked like, with a view to having a go maybe. why dont game producers release in play movies?
    --
    second point. this chr is my pure cold sorc. she gets her teleport from a +3 tele, 20% fcr orb on switch. if you look closely you might be able to see my shield change colour as i switch. i have a rhyme as main and a lidless on switch for teleporting. so no points in tk. really wanted to find an orb with +3 tele fcr and +1 static too, but never have so she did put one point in static..

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Just did a short clip to show how safe hell cows can be with a singer barb. He isnt very fast (although beats any melee build for speed) but with no ranged or teleporting monsters, its one of the safest places to be.
    Full version (2:06 7.36mb, poor quality)
    Short version (0:26 2.44mb, good quality)

13. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

So, the smaller clip is better quality, fb? :p

Looks quite funny, but how come your barb doesn't loose any mana? I mean War Cry is a very mana consuming skill (39 mana per cast @ slvl 30)... :scratch:

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The longer clip was originally 14mb, so i had to do some extra compression with Dr. divx, which kind fo ruined the quality.
    And the mana is because i had over 3k mana with BO on, and i had the following items on: civerbs icon (40% regen), manald ring (20%), magefists (25%), wizardspike (15%) and marrowwalks (10%). lvl 27 war cry (36 mana per cast) with little breaks in the middle of singing means that my mana really drops significantly. I rekon if i could get another 1k mana, my regen would be enough to constantly war cry, but that aint going to happen..

15. adeadrat

i only use players 1. Easier that way :) i find fireball easier and more effective than static/glacial spike even on higher players settings (only tried p3 though). My merc has leviathan and vamp gaze so he doesnt die to pindle. Also have a reapers toll :)

16. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

For hosting large files:

http://www.yousendit.com/

It's supposed to send the link to the file by email, but it reports the link after uploading. The file will be online for a period of a week.

shhhhh :cool:

17. adeadrat

mine was over 275 megs uncompresed. And mine ran for 29 seconds...why the descrepency?

18. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

re the original post,

I thought the speed run on the main d2.net page was impressive but not mind-blowing. All of /players 1 Normal in ~50 minutes, with some scouting ahead time not included.

I think by upping the players setting slightly and being more selective about which monsters to kill, it could be done faster. Maybe by five minutes or so. We have a lot of skilled players on this forum, I'm willing to bet someone can do it.

I smell a tourney :)

19. dune6836

i cant be certain, however, in an attempt to improve the image quality the run i posted was recorded in 640x480 video mode..
    i felt the same way. he went all the way to baal in ~2hrs, knowing the map. i am pretty sure this can be beaten.. although as it was untwinked it would probably help if you had a few lucky boss drops along the way.
    as for a tourny? why not? perhaps after the blues tourny is done. who can kill baal fastest in norm untwinked hardcore:)

20. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

weather, blended shadows, quality of image, etc etc etc.

a lot of people adjust their quality with the d2 game just to run the game more smoothly, I for one run with unblended shadows and the lower quality setting just to get it to run clear.

that could account for a lot of the extra memory used for the video.