Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fun poison-based build?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by YellowDyeNo5, May 3, 2008.

1. YellowDyeNo5

YellowDyeNo5 IncGamers Member

Fun poison-based build?

So I've been playing my zealer and I just had the opportunity to put a carrion wind on him. Every once in a while (quite rarely, with 16k def) he gets smacked and the poison nova goes off. This got me thinking...what are the viable poison-based builds?

Plague javazon
    Rabies Druid
    Poison necro
    ...that's all I got.

Of these, are any all that fun to play, or are they merely frustrating? Its nice to have big damage numbers, but over a period of 20 seconds doesn't really net a lot of damage. I figure I can get +15 skills on any one of these characters (closer to +20 on the necro), but in the end I'm not sure if they'll be doing any damage, and I feel that I'll just end up with something like a weak fury druid. Any thoughts?

2. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Re: Fun poison-based build?

A poison necro does pretty good. I'm using one to run the pits (no poison immunes). He's using full trang's atm. And with the excess skills i've gone for some skellies for extra protection and to take care of poison immunes (like the 4th wave at Baal).
    Can't comment on the others since i don't have those. I have been thinking about a rabies druid (hybr?), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

3. shawf

shawf IncGamers Member

I just finished a rabies/hunger wolf and thought it was a lot of fun to play, but a fairly slow killer. I'd end up infecting a pack of monsters and then just using hunger to stay alive while they died from the poison. I posted a brief summary in a patriarch thread yesterday if you wanted to look.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=655618

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Well, you can do the math to see how much damage you do per second and then you'll see easily enough whether it takes ages to kill stuff or not. Factor in whether you're doing AOE damage or not, of course.

Venom is a decent poison skill as well but it's not really a build of it's own. It's more something you can happily add to any melee assassin for a nice boost in damage output.

I've got guardians to all 3 of the builds you listed, of course with a second element for backup. They all did pretty well.

No, they do not eclipse blizzardsorcs or hammerdins. If they did that they'd be the cookie cutters.

5. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I found the Plague Javazon quite fun, for the most part. You'll get frustrated when fighting act bosses as she doesn't have a good single monster skill. However she does make up for it by ensuring packs of monsters fall rapidly, even if they run away as say the Flayers do. You won't have to chase each and every one of them down.

6. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

I also vote for the Javazon using plague. I just matted one last month and she was an absolute blast!

7. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

I just took a Poisonmancer through Hell. And i could really recommend it! Even with inexpensive gear he can handle every situation in the game.

You can read about him in my guardian thread to get some tips!

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=655827

Good Luck.

8. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

I've got a Daggermancer in Hell AII now. He's fun, but AII is a pain due to poison immune undead. The assassin's Venom skill has an interesting interaction with PDagger in that it's duration becomes that of PDagger. Since Venom has a very high dmg per frame and PDagger has a very long duration you can get some really wicked damage (I used the Treachery rune word to get Venom, and control the area AI curses, then stab each monster once and the whole group will drop if not immune; CE, of course, can make things go faster).

-Starcrunch

9. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Try a PoisonSummoner.

Optimal gear set-up would be something like:
    +2Necro/+ResistAll/+20%FCR Circlet
    "Bramble" Armor
    Trang's Claws (Gloves)
    Trang's Girth (Belt)
    Trang's Wing (Shield)
    Death's Web
    2x SoJ's
    Mara's or +2Necro/+ResistAll/+20%FCR Ammy

But of course those gears won't be easy to get.

The alternative would be:
    Trang's Set
    +3PNova (with some other additional mods) "White" wand
    Decent rare Necro ammy (+skills/resist/stats/fcr), hopefully with Teleport charges. (if you don't have Mara's)
    Decent rare rings (fcr/life/mana/resist/stats). (If you don't have SoJ's)

My PoisonSummoner was the only character I was able to /p8 the game all the way, with minimal death (if there was).
    It was also very fun to play.
    Enough shield/protection from the skellies, with fast killing speed of Pnova/LowerResist combo.
    :thumbsup:

--maxgerin

10. Geting

Geting IncGamers Member

only played poisonmancer, but he´s one of my strongest chars ever. Pit´s at players 8 are no problems at all.

20 poisonskills, about 5 in lower resist, about 10 in dim vision, 1 pt bonearmor and rest in bonewall. and one point revive.

ridiculus safe

harle/skullders and trang wing whit poison facets, trangs belt and gloves, rare +2 amu and resist rings.

and 2 curse skiller and gheeds

nova damage around 5-5,5k, -30ish to poison res. add lr and things die _fast_

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The cool thing about venom though is that it acts like enchant in that any + skill damage will add both when it's being applied and when it is used in attacking. I read in the necro forum about how +poison damage from items also adds to poisons duration as well, but with venom the duration is set to 0.4 seconds.

With a maxed venom and +15 in venom skill (not hard to get) and just Trangs gloves you have a 1406 over 0.4 seconds venom addition to your attack, compare that on a per second basis, that's 3515 damage per second. thats a lovely amount for only spending 20 hard skill points.

There are not many assassins completely built around it though because it adds so much damage for so little in dedicated points.

With a perfect bramble and trangs a level 35 venom would add 6890 damage per second, against anything not poison immune that will probably be the highest poison damage per second you'll find.

12. erics

erics IncGamers Member

There's also the Blackbog's Sharp that adds +4/4/5 to the three necro p skills as well as a hefty + p damage on it as well.

13. Freire

Freire IncGamers Member

Poisonmancer all the way!
    Fun to play, and a great pit runner later on, it kills really FAST even on players 8 with the right gear (mostly death web and the trang pieces, rest is up to you).
    Its also really fun to duel your friends in TCP/IP games as they drop like flies mostly with just one nova:) (assuming they are legit players also).