Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fun, Interesting, Powerful builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Are, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Fun, Interesting, Powerful builds?

Hi,

I'm currently on my way towards having one Pat/Mat of each character type, with a MeteOrb sorc, a Hammerdin, and an LF/FA zon already completed, and a Fishymancer on the way (about to start Act V Normal).

I intend for my Barbarian to be an IK Barb (assuming I find a Soul Cage before it's time to start him), but am at a loss as to what kind of build to choose for my Assassin and my Druid, as I have no experience playing either character type.

So, which builds do you consider to be most fun and/or interesting and/or powerful for Assassins and Druids (and Barbarians, in case that armor eludes me)? If you have suggestions for my future characters of other classes, those are of course also welcome!

2. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Re: Fun, Interesting, Powerful builds?

I'd suggest a Trapsin. They're powerful and don't require too costly of gear. As for druid, I'm not sure. I think I've heard Windy Druids are pretty strong, but I'd listen to what some other have to say first.

3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

When it comes to things like this, a lot of it depends on your own personal preferences/abilities as well as the type of gear which you have at your disposal. For me...

Assassin.
    Fun//Interesting: Phoenix Striker.
    Powerful: Lightning Trapper.

Druid.
    Fun//Interesting: Armageddon Kodiak Bear.
    Powerful: Wind Druid.

Barbarian.
    Fun//Interesting: Thrower.
    Powerful: IK Whirly Barb!

Understand that fun//interesting builds aren't exactly going to be the easiest things to finish. ;).

4. Simbacca

Simbacca IncGamers Member

5. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Don't hold your breath on an IK armor. They're pretty rare.

Druid: Windys are fine, really, but honestly require pretty good gear to actually own (though you can finish the game with one just fine). A FC or maul bear (with a point in shockwave) is pretty gg.

Assassin: Nagi is a nub, phoenix strikers are the antithesis of fun. Lightning trappers are ridiculously powerful (as well as fun), but if you want something less powerful, check out the fishysin (tiger strike and death sentry), or if you can get your hands on some useful myrmidon greaves, tiger strike + dragon tail is also quite good and amusing.

Barb: WW is still quite good even if you don't wait for IK armor (actually, it's better without the IK set if you can put together the gear - IK barbs are pretty severely overrated). Frenzy is also quite a bit of fun, but really, WW is the way to go. Everything else is one or both of low damage/tedious and expensive.

-CG

6. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Fun builds:

Singer barbarian (untouchable, too)
    Frenzy barb (you'll probably need caffeine or a heavier stimulant to keep up with this guy)
    Fire Claws or Maul Werebear
    Rabies druid
    Wind druid
    Blade Fury and Kick Assassin.

7. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I guess that depends on the player. I have played PS assassins in several of our tournaments (I have two that are still alive) and I have enjoyed all of them a lot.

Trappers, OTOH, bore me to no end. I played one in Act V NM in the SUTC4 tournament. I ended up using the traps only when I really had to, because I found it a lot more fun watching (and helping out) my barb merc do the killing...

8. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I'm with jiansonz. My Phoenix Striker gave me probably the most intense gameplay I've ever had out of D2. Mine wasn't particularly powerful, since I was never particularly item-rich, but she managed to finish. However, guessing from Are's list of characters already completed, I don't think a PS-sin would suit. Following the trend of stock cookie-cutters, I'd guess a Windy and a Trapsin. (Disclaimer: I have no experience in these builds, but discussions point towards them as the safe/powerful - even "easy" - builds.)

9. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

IK Barb is only powerful if you go Titan. Otherwise the damage is crap ;)

10. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Agreed, Pheonix Strike is a rather enjoyable skill. It's a fresh type of gameplay compared to the usual Diablo drivel of left click, right click, left click, right click, or worse: left click, left click, left click...

11. Thirty-Thirty

I imagine there are effective WW setups that don't involve IK (or at least not the whole set)? I thought something like an up'ed Shael-ed Ribcracker would be more effective.

My knowledge here is poor: the only Barb I've made was a Wolfbarb...

12. jiansonz

What is that?

13. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Barb using wolfhowl to transform into a werewolf.

14. Thirty-Thirty

A Wolfbarb shifts into a Werewolf from the o-skills. It's item-dependent and really slow until you can equip Wolfhowl, which is level 79. But from there the beastie is honestly unstoppable: he will not die. (Ultimately one of my highest level characters because of all his MP exposure as a tank.)

15. AlexanderM

AlexanderM IncGamers Member

My old trap-assassin had to be one of my favorite to play, have to be careful about being ready for immunes and double immunes. Never played a phoenix striker, though I've always wanted to.

Side note: The Immortal King's set never made much sense to me. If he was immortal, how'd I get his boots? Either he's lying about hit immortality, or he threw out these boots when he upgraded.

16. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Hehe. He turned out to be a part-time wolfie as well.

For Assassins I would recommend a kick/trap/fury build, for Druid probably windies, or a fire/wind hybrid if you want to stay away from the norm a little. PS Sins are quite fun to me, but they don't really fit in the powerful category and it's a bit hard to tell someone else what is fun anyways.

17. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Thanks for all your suggestions! :)

18. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I love assassins, but loathe pheonix strikers. The charge up skills make no sense since they gain no dual wield bonus, and the attacks themselves are weaksauce, even if you seriously twink out the assassin with skillers. Slow, tedious and fragile sum up pheonix strikers. On the other hander, a kicker that uses dragon talon and blade fury as backup are a ton of fun and can be played untwinked no problem. Trappers are obscenely powerful, but boring.

Fury barbs are a lot of fun and arguably kill faster then any ww barb can once you gear them up.

Maul druids are nuts as well, get a fast weapon and you can hit a 5 or 6 frame attack. Combine that with hunger and shockwave and you'll never die.

Those are my suggestions, all melee characters too.

19. jiansonz

I think they make sense if you use a shield.

Stacked Meteor afterflames is not weak. I agree with you on the lightning charge, though. FIs are hard to handle - it takes several lightning charges to bring them down. Crushing Blow helps a lot here (so even the charge-ups have a chance to do serious damage).

20. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

They do gain a dual wield bonus. It's the question if this is worth giving up a shield.

No assassin is more fragile than another.