Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fun & Interesting Builds?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Burn-X, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Burn-X

Burn-X IncGamers Member

Fun & Interesting Builds?

Getting kind of bored with D2 and I've made several build so far:

• Avenger Din
    • C/S Sin (TS/DF)
    • C/C Sin (DC/Venom)
    • CL Sorc
    • Enchant (Range) Sorc

I'm looking for some fun and interesting builds, regardless of class, for me to try out. I do play with a friend over LAN occasionally so it will be great if someone can give a pair combo of builds that play well together and be fun along the way. His build so far are:

• WW Barb
    • Meteorb Sorc
    • Blizzard Sorc
    • Strafe Zon
    • Windy Druid
    • Zookeeper Necro

We have lots of gear for us to use, but nothing that great and so far we are not using the Runeword mods. Thanks guys :)

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Re: Fun & Interesting Builds?

One of my favorite characters for fun is Frenzy barb, but unfortunatly, he is not too party friendly (he outruns other party members).

On the other hand some characters like Avenger (conviction) or Concentrate barb (ultimate tank) are very boring, but great for party.

I wouldn't bother too much with character selection, just make a build you would like to make and the same for your friend. As long as the characters have different element type of attack and both can kill around the same speed, it will be fun for both of you.

EDIT: You haven't made a barbarian yet? Try ww one with BO for you and your friend...

3. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

In the early days of D2, Paladin-Necro combinations rocked big time.
    I think they might even now. If you make a paladin, level him up a bit. A good offensive aura, like Fanaticism, and a decent attack like Zeal. Both you and your friend Act II mercenaries, holy freeze/prayer or another combination that appeals to you both.

I'd say that that would still be great to use through the game, and massively boost the skellies survivability.

Also, going after Hrus, might I suggest a singer? or a thrower barb? The singer can be quite useful to other characters as well, and a spell that stuns and damages opponents is very useful to all character classes.
    Whereas the thrower barb can deal surprising amounts of damage from a distance, with relatively little skill investment, allowing you to beef up Battle orders and shout as well (also party favorites).

4. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

How about some wereform druid? Either Fury Wolf or Fireclaws Bear and utilizing spirits? I'd say Oak Sage for extra life, would be very party friendly. Propably the best combo would be some ranged attacker to go with druid. Although, it's a little unfair, that the other one is all the time on danger as the other one is spamming some arrows/javelins/spells.

Personally, I'd suggest that you and your friend start Druid and Paladin. Druid uses Spirits and Paladin uses aura. Other one specializes in Physical damage as the other one takes elemental route. My suggestion:

Fire Claws Bear and FanaZealot Paladin.

Ok, not the most interesting builds, I admit, but I'd love to play through the game with someone else with only melee builds.

And I agree with Merlin, Singer are very effective (read: safe and a little slow) and party friendly.

5. Evah

Evah IncGamers Member

I'd suggest partying a Ranged Enchantress with any kind of fast-attacking meleer\shooter. Strafer sounds good for me.

6. Xdeathfire

Xdeathfire IncGamers Member

Hmm...since your friend has 2 sorcs, why not a Paladin running Conviction?

Since its SP, you're probably only down to either a FoH pally or one using Rift or Voice of Reason unless you have enough High Runes to make an Auradin. The Conviction, though, will increase his meteorb's killing speed substantially and will make everything alot easier

Edit: I see you have an Avenger which pretty much makes everything I've just said worthless.

Hmm...since your friend also has a WW barb, strafer, and a windy druid, all of which do physical damage, maybe a necro with amplify damage and decrepify would do well. Well, any necro would do the job, but I suppose you can either go with a bone one which is kind of cookie cutter. Or, maybe try to make a fireball necro using the full vampire set for necros. You can get lower resist and will probably have enough skill points to have a synergized poison nova too. That way, you can basically do well with any of your friend's builds

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Eh, no, the problem with putting an enchantress with a multizon or strafezon is that the Enchantress doesn't kill much and gets bored.

Similar for sticking an Avenger with 2 sorcs.

I reckon you have to try and keep things even. Example: a ranged enchantress with a skelly or poison necro. Necro uses low resists, enchantress enchants minions, and they kill at roughly the same speed. Or an Avenger with a fireclaws bear (who gives the paladin life from his spirit).

Also, an old thread on exactly this topic (because it IS an awesome topic): http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572065

BTW, have you tried out Blade Fury? It's such an awesome Assassin skill (and only needs one point!).

Singer barb is also VERY fun. Normally he loses his power at hell and is a support char... BUT when coupled with amplify damage, that might change (War Cry is physical dmg). So Singer + Skellymancer could be a neat combo (his warcries all help the minions, too).

8. cft

cft IncGamers Member

I had an ice bowazon with my bro's avenger pally.

Worked good until act 3 NM I shattered a bosspack of the exploding dolls right next to him by accident. This was HC and he died from it. I felt terrible for a week.

I was used to using the "glacial spike" arrow to freeze/slow things around him to give him a little protection from incoming damage. But in that case I made it worse.

Still, if you aren't playing hardcore, then a team of an ice bower plus a pally or barb (or druid or melee assassin), would be great. I couldn't leech enough mana on my bower, so I built her with lots of +mana items and depended on mana regen and blue potions rather than on leech.

A glacial spike sorc would work fine too, but she's probably end up synergizing with blizzard and using blizzard full time.

With a team you could go with 2 single tree sorcs, say a pure cold with a pure fire sorc.

Or maybe go with a frenzy barb (fun) and a WW druid. Both would have frenzy speed so you shouldn't outrun each other so much. You could have both battle orders and oak sage so you would have really really high health.

9. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

My thoughts:

Fireclaws bear - great tank and insane killing speed (vs non FI's anyway)

Conviction pally - perfect partner to a sorc. Throw on Rift or Voice of Reason & you'll kill quick too

Kick/Trap assassin - one of the quickest boss killers in the game if you load up with CB.

10. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Nova Sorc is quite fun to play. Add a tank of your choice. Perhaps the already mentioned Fireclaws Bear for another type of elemental damage.

11. galtwish

galtwish IncGamers Member

In order, I'd recommend:

-Hunter Druid or Poison & Bone necro (Bone Wall to channel enemies into good WW formations)
    -Conviction/Zeal Paladin or Fireclaws Werebear
    -Lord of Mages necro w/Lower Resist--see Insane Wayne's recent guardian
    -Holy Shock/Holy Freeze Paladin
    -Fishyzon or Holy Shock/Holy Freeze Paladin
    -Fanatic Zealot or Hunter Druid (if you can handle 40+ minions on the screen)

12. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Nova Sorceress with

1. Paladin with Conviction for uber pwnage
    2. Or some other kind of a tank with another type of elemental damage, for example the already mentioned Fireclaws Bear
    3. Daggerzon for teh sexiness

13. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Gotta say my favorite. Charge pally. Great for handling dangerous monsters in party play and usable with every single pally aura (especially meditation, convic, might, and vigor).

14. Burn-X

Burn-X IncGamers Member

Woah, so many suggestions and ideas! Thanks a lot guys! :) Like the link Cwicseolfor, very informative.

I'll discuss this with my friend again and see if he is willing to try any of these builds. I say 'again' because last night I linked this thread to him and he was unmoved. He wanted to make LF Zon (yawn). He also didn't like my idea of making a Leaping and Thrower Barb with two Barb mercs >_<

15. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Eletemplar. There is a guide that some Noob wrote for the build that is currently stickied in the pally forum. A rewrite of the guide is on the way. Very fun build both solo and in a two character party situation.

Beserker. Lots of fun there, trying to stay alive, laughing at oblivion knights (while pwning them) and doing insane amounts of damage.

Necro. You don't have a necro. Fishy is a good starter build, or you can go for the explodacro, jailer or a boney. Necro's are interesting to play because it's a mix of raising minions, casting bone cages/walls, cursing monsters, exploding, bone spears/spirits/pnova and standing back watching your creations kick butt. Very cool and I guess why nightfish likes em.

16. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I had a wet dream last night about playing a Firewall + Frozen Orb sorc. Static would be a very active hotkey.

The build could potentially be complete at level 60 or so at:
    Firewall 20
    Fire Mastery 20
    Frozen Orb 20
    Cold Mastery 1
    Static Field 1
    Teleport 1
    Warmth 1
    Enchant 1 (for merc and party)
    Thunder Storm 1 (if you want all three elements, spend your extra points here on TS and Lightning Mastery... but even 1 is nice when combined with +skills)
    Lightning Mastery 1 (fot TS, combine with +skills)
    Frozen Armour 1 (for defence boost, let +skills do the rest)

But would benefit further from having Static Field and Cold Mastery at 10+, and Warmth 10 or so couldn't hurt for the Enchant bonus as well as extra mana.

I suppose one of the reasons I'm excited to try this is that I've never actually used Frozen Orb on a serious character yet (shock!), but also because Fire Wall is an awesome damage skill, that handles itself well, but isn't cookie cutter due to timer and placement - it requires some actual, y'know, brains to use. Oh, did I mention it's fun in the early game as well as the end? :yes:

Ideally you'd take a Holy Freeze act 2 NM merc for the cumulative slow with frozen orb chill to make Fire Wall placement easier.

Leaf would obviously be the main weapon or weapon switch for early through to possibly even late game, with +3 to 6 to fire wall, +3 to fire mastery, +2 defence per level, 2 mana per kill, and +6 warmth.

Besides, who didn't love this skill in Diablo 1?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008