Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

fully synergized traps vs hell LI monsters

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Luckymofo, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

fully synergized traps vs hell LI monsters

It seems that trapsins are doin very good in hell..but what about LI monsters?

My merc isnt very strong yet. I dont have much in SM. My fire blast aint all that hot. What should i do? I plan on mfin solo with this char.

2. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Well, it seems you've already discounted the three common/best answers.

I'm not sure how you can say "fully synergized" and not have a decent Fire Blast. It's one of only two synergies for Death Sentry, which is a crucial part of any trapper strategy (and heck, a lot of non-trap-centric build guides mention it for hybridizing some body disposal). I'm guessing you were emphasizing the damage from CBS and/or LS and didn't think about LI monsters.

I'm also surprised you don't have much in Shadow Master, though there perhaps you went the Shadow Warrior route and she's not all that great at hurting things you can't hurt yourself.

So, assuming you don't have the skill points to correct these things, what can you do? Here are some thoughts:

Equipment - I'm not going to even try to list a zillion specific items here, but try to find some stuff that will give you big fire damage without hurting your defenses. Alternatively, maybe a weapon switch that will boost your Fire Blast to usable levels? Leaf is pretty easy but takes up both slots, not so hot for only +3 to fire skills only. Another option would be to shop (ie check out NM or Hell Akira) for wands with charges of Lower Resist. IIRC most non-boss LIs can be broken with a decent level of that.

Mercenary - Depending on why your merc isn't up to snuff, you can probably correct this. If they just aren't big enough, spend some time in an area where they can kill without your help and let them collect the exp. If they are already your level, you probably need to get *them* better equipment. As a trapper, in a lot of ways your equipment is nowhere near as important as theirs. Since the killing blows will almost always come from your traps, high MF on your mercenary is just not worth it. Making them tough enough to tank for you, and to take out LIs, is. Also, I'm assuming it's a Town Guard or Barbarian. If you're using a ranged mercenary, that's your problem right there. With a weak SM, you *need* a tank.

Level Up in Nightmare - if you're not into the 70s or 80s yet, stay in NM for a while and put points into Fire Blast. As I said, synergizing Death Sentry is a good thing, and DS itself, like Corpse Explosion, does a mix of fire and physical damage. Even a few hard points in Fire Blast can reduce the effective mana cost of Death Sentry significantly - one casting can last an entire battle instead of needing 2.

If none of these sound like they'll work, you may just have to admit that your character is not suited for your desires and try again. The one thing I've seen *every* source of advice say since 1.10 is, "If you want to survive solo in Hell, you need to plan how to do that from the very beginning."

3. tl998

tl998 Banned

OR, you can party up from time to time. Not every build has to solo hell. This is 1.10, and wih the new difficulty (especially on ladder) it is understandable if some builds that are not overpowered (like the Hammerdin) can't solo Hell.

4. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Thanks weregamer for the excellent advice. Pursuant to your advice on lower resist charges on wands, isn't lvl 3 the highest lvl on lower resist charges? That's what I heard anyways. I do have two more questions:

which pair of claws should i use +3 traps or bartucs?

(writer's block here....loading question)

should I put a point into cobra strike for the occasional mana leech in case i run out of blue beer/pots/paint?

5. disci

disci IncGamers Member

Pots, definetly.
    Much safer than going actually there and stick your claw into someones stomach. And saves you 2 skill points.

6. tl998

tl998 Banned

I think it's FUn sticking your claw into a monster's entrails, but that's just me. Man I need to make a MA sin sometime...

7. moi

moi IncGamers Member

some builds, yes, but not a trapasin.

8. det

det IncGamers Member

I know of at least one guy who will disagree there

and tl998: Kicker/trap hybrids are FUN

9. ssmsdb

ssmsdb IncGamers Member

melee

wanna talk bout melee?! shiznat,make a zeal/venom asn,now those are pimp, u can max ur shadow,venom, all u need is like +3 all skills so ur zeal hits 5 times,if u want u can check out how i did it on my post, "new pvp build" but ya,i wanna hella make a MA asn, those guys are my old school favs