Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FullFlavor's Hoto/Spirit Trapper PVM Guide

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by fullflavor, Apr 30, 2008.

1. fullflavor

fullflavor IncGamers Member

FullFlavor's Hoto/Spirit Trapper PVM Guide

After taking a long break from the game, I came back with a vengeance and what better to start off the adventure with a speedy trapper who can solo every part of the game bar ubers.

First off all this is not a definitive guide most trappers use claws for more skills and pre-buffs which I only see the need for them in PvP which this guide is not about.

Now, right lets get to the point.

Our primary damage is coming from Lightning Sentry and Fire Blast, Death Sentry as a dessert for our meals to pop out the dead bodies.

This build uses very tight point skills distribution. You need to pre-plan the points. Obviously we have 5 main traps to be maxed out. This leaves little points to spend on shadow tree. On the bright side shadow tree is all 1 point wonders especially with +skill items boosting it up.

Trap Tree

Fire Blast max 20 points
    Shockweb max 20 points
    Charged Bolt Sentry max 20 points
    Lightning Sentry max 20 points
    Death Sentry max 20 points

Shadow Tree

Claw Mastery 1 point
    Physhic Hammer 1 point
    Burst of Speed 1 point
    Cloak of Shadows 1 point
    Mind Blast 1 point

This is the basic build for a total of whopping 105 points used ,which means its complete at lvl94 assuming you completed all your skills quests.

Most efficient way to distrubute points is to get all shadow tree skills as soon as possible. For trap tree, the order which i find the most suitable is to max lightning sentry first, followed by death sentry then Fire blast and Shockweb. I left charged bolt sentry to last. Most leave shockweb or fireblast to last which i find it weird.

Most of the time left mouse button is always ready to fireblast. In case of fire immunes shockweb is hotkeyed for left mousebutton. This is why i prefer leaving charged bolt to last as it will only override your existing traps on the ground which we don’t want to and gives you additional bonus damage to handle fire immunes when your main traps are already on the ground.
    Back to shadow tree, i left out weapon block, shadow master/warrior and fade.

Wepon block: since we will use hoto/shield its no use to us as we wont be wielding claws.

Fade: Since we will use hoto/shield and they got massive resists, and we will hit 75 cap on hell i see no reason to invest here, and we never want it to cancel out BoS as it gives faster trap laying speed and you run faster then your screen refreshes.

Shadow Master/Warrior: Now this is up for debate, some love them some hate them. I hate them. They have their uses but most of the time they are more annoyance to myself and my party.
    Especially master with her addiction to use mind blast is just pure non-sense as most of the time she actually slows me down with converted monsters.
    Warrior on the other hand could be more usefull, as she only uses whats set on your mouse buttons to be used. If i decided to lvl a bit more then 94 then i could go for this minion. But she is not a must in this build.

Possible another skill could be dragon talon. Another 1 point wonder that could really shine with your massive +skills and you will get a lot of strength and high dmg boots so its again possible. But i would rather use fireblast or shockweb then talon and stay safe in distance as i won’t be having much damage reduce .

Gear section:

Amulet: Maras
    Helm: Shako (sockatable)
    Armor: Enigma
    Weapon: Slot 1: Hoto slot2: CTA
    Shield: slot1: Spirit 35%FCR slot2: Spirit any %FCR
    Glove: magefist
    Belt: Arachnids
    Rings: 2x SoJ
    Boots: Shadow Dancers

Stash: Assa Torch, Anni and 9x Trapper grand charms preferably with life. Rest small charms with mods such as resistances,life .

Reasoning for the gear selection:

Now, for a pure trapper we would need to maximise on all plus skills available to us. Whilst there are other sources to pump more skills like pure trapper claws we would loose out on other major aspects such as resistances, faster cast rate and faster hit recovery.

Now the eye catching gears on the list above is probably spirit which can be done only on monarch and shadow dancers. They both require huge strength to wear.

There are other alternatives available but are they worth sacrifice to save points on strength? After looking at bonuses of spirit and shadow dancers. Clearly not. Skills,fcr,fhr, massive vita and mana boost makes it a must in my opinion. And we want shadow dancers as well in case we spend a odd point on dragon talon and skills to shadow tree won't hurt us.

Only part in this gear we can socket is shako. Now you got many choices on shako to socket. Most use um for more resistance. But, I prefer to not to be frozen, as I can cover most of my resist from gear or small charms. So I prefer with cham. If you are frozen, you can't lay traps fast, you can't throw traps such as fireblast fast and you can't retreat fast.

The gear above gives:
    +19 all stats
    +21 to shadow skills
    +28 to light traps
    +29 to fire blast

As well you reach a very good faster cast rate, recovery rate and resistances to make you an all rounder in PvM game play.

Stat points:

Strength: around 80 to 100 to base depends on your torch and anni stats.
    Dex: nothing
    Vita: rest
    Energy: nothing

Our highest strength gear would be boots with 167 and shield with 156. So we need the bonus of torch, anni, shako,maras and enigma to boost us to 167at least. Dont go overboard 167 is to aim for.

Since this is not a pvp build altough can be used for pvp too, we dont need to invest everthing on vita or dex. We dont need to block with shield, we are trappers most monsters should not reach us. We got high dmg traps, mercenary and crowd control utilities such as mindblast and cloak of shadows.

Mercenary:

Act2 desert mercenaries are just awesome for a trapper.
    Since our trapper is light damage and fire damage. We need a good physical damage just in case we encounter immunes for both elements. Rare but happens.

I chose holy freeze from nightmare defensive. Equipped him with an infinity etheral polearm for good damage and that awesome conviction aura to help out my elemental damage. Gave him etheral andy helm plus chains of honor armor for life leach and good resists.

He can kill fast. Perfect assistant with 2 sweet auras for us, conviction and holy freeze. What more can a trapper ask for from a mercenary?

Style is everything:

Now, we got the gear,merc,talents and stats sorted out. How to play?

Burst of speed should always be on. Lightning sentry is our main killer fire blast second and death sentry is our creme de la creme talent.
    Left mouse button: fire blast and shockweb (if you get dragon talon use it on left)
    Right mouse button: light sentry,death sentry, BoS,MB,CoS,teleport, battle order things from CTA.
    Hotkey them.
    This needs practie to get into groove hotkey them on what you use the most and how you find easy to press to activate them.

Light sentry should dispose almost every monster pretty easy providing its not light immune and it has long range we can lay down 5 traps, they serve as a good alarm system as well place them on the edge of your visual area and it will fire if there are monsters. It pierces as well so it can do a lot of damage to multiple monsters.

Their weak point is you can't control who they fire at, and it fires in a straight line. So it's not advicable to place them next to each other in a straight horizantal line.
    Seperate them out, cover the angles.

Learn to use mind blast and cloak of shadows efficiently. They serve very good ultimate defensive meausures. Especialy if a monster broke through your offensive spells and mercenary and coming at you.

Chaos sanctuary is a nightmare for merc with oblivion knights cursing us with iron maiden. Not a problem for a trapper but mercenary will die very fast. To avoid it, you need to save your cloak of shadows for them as long as they are effected, no curses they will give. Learn the sound of that curse and symbol and if you see your merc has it retreat using teleport from enigma and mercenary will teleport with you. And wait till it wears off. Killing speed will be slower but at least it's better then getting you bankrupted.

Conclusion:

Well folks that was it. Remember, this guide is not for the average player,its' pretty rich in build. Will cost you loads of pgems and tons of trading. But overall, once you get them, you would love it. You cover all monsters all immunity problems you can solo eveywhere everything. Hell baal rushes are easy and fast. Only a hammerdin is faster but then they are very boring as well.
    Many people use different builds variants of trappers. I’m not claiming to have the best set up, but what I promise is raw speed and effectiveness on all parts of the PvM game. I had no trouble rushing people in 8 player games. Speed is slower but doable.
    For PvP, better ask other people about it as I gave up on pvp after people abusing the duel system with absorbs and pot using.

2. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Re: FullFlavor's Hoto/Spirit Trapper PVM Guide

More like loads of hrs...

I suggest to put all you hotkeys on right mouse button. Your attacks are ranged. With left mouse button, if you click a bit off your target (which you should, since they move and your little grenades take time to land), you'd move instead towards that monster. Bad.

The reason people choose to max Charged Bolt Sentry first is to kill bosses. It's scary how well it works once you know how to place them.

I'm a bit skeptic about trap laying speed with HOTO... have you tested it out?

Also, I do believe being chilled does not affect your Fire Blast, since it relies on fcr.

And... am I the only one to get an impression of déjà-vu?

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

You could just shift-click.

He's using BoS.

No, it's based on IAS.

No.

4. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Not original by any means, but fun for discussion.

Why a 35% FCR spirit? Your total FCR on this comes to 115, which is 13 higher than the breakpoint = overkill. Doesn't feel like you've done your calculations there. You make no mention of FHR either, are you going to add the one 5FHR SC required to make it to the 86 FHR breakpoint (55 from spirit and 30 from dancers) for 4-frame FHR? I know it's not that necessary since you're not going to be in hit recovery much if you're playing right, but for the sake of a single inventory space it's a pretty obvious gain.

No trap skillers? If not, why not? More damage is more use than more life to the build you're talking about, especially if your life and BO lvl are decent, which they ought to be. Trap GCs can have life/other adds as well if you're rich enough.

If you're rich, swap out a low dmg infy, or just take his off him for the duration of CS. You'll lose the -res from conviction but you'll still have his freeze aura and he won't die.

"Boring" is pretty subjective, and light sorcs are probably quicker than this build in most instances anyway, depending on player.

Hotkey madness ensues. I'd rather use shift as Stephan suggests - but I concur that it's far more effective to target the ground in front of monsters, given the amount of time FB takes to land at non-immediate range.

5. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

nice guide, thought it's more of a build sheet. you dont go very far into trap placement techniques and other things could have been more fleshed out, but it's a nice write up on a pretty standard build. i had a sin similar to this last season, but i went ahead and got max block with stormshield so i could do a bit of pvp.

6. fullflavor

first but not last, yes this seems like a dejavu. There are tons of trapper builds out there. this is just one of them. never made a claim this one is the special one, as long it suits your needs to have fun.

-I did recommend trapper charms in the inventory 9 of them as well as anni and torch.

-I did not specifically gave the ratios and numbers for FHR and FCR as most peole who intend to use this set up would already know.

-but you are right, a small charm with fhr is needed to reach the breakpoint. i use one as well. not much help apart from teleporting faster after you landed on a group of monster and you want to teleport out faster.

-35% spirit is very usefull not only for its trade value, but you can swap out maybe belt with thundergods, and use a fcr ring. to be able to still be on the same cast rate. it gives you a bit of diversity just in case but definetely you can go and get a lower spirit and save up on gems or runes.

-Regarding shift click, yes you are absolutely right you can miss click and run instead of fireblasting. which you do not want to and stay out of melee range. so shift click is important. takes practice, I had lots of troubles getting used to keyboard layout on my laptop with smaller keys and fat fingers doesnt really help you out at first :)

-regarding values, this is definetely not a starter build. But, i done it. loads of cow runs for gems and sockatable items plus rushes for hellforge quests can get you rich in no time. thats why i said loads of trading in the original post. pure hammerdin builds or light sorcs are almost the same set up in value of trading.

-regarding charged bolt sentry to be maxed out last, its usefull skill at bosses but not much a difference with light sentry. but shockweb can you give more flexibility when you are facing fire immunes and you want to do something on left mousebutton. as a general play i prefer it to be maxed last. personal choice.

- traps are affected by IAS and when you are using BoS. that part is taken care of. Chilling does affect traps as one other said it so in my opinion its really helpfull for a trapper to not to be frozen.

-its certainly viable to unequip merc with infinity and do chaos runs. it will make your killing speed slower.

-pure hammerdins are boring i might get flamed for this but it just doesnt suit my style of play. Having said that i do know how godly they are especially with a meditation polearm equipped merc and go with neverending mana.

-light sorc that would be my next build.

7. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Eeep. I must be blind. Apologies.

That said... 9 of them? For PVM? So you don't pick anything up at all when you play PVM?

If someone had already checked out FHR and FCR breakpoints with this gear and this char then they'd have figured out your build without needing to read your guide, no? I mean, that's what guides are supposed to do - elaborate upon a basic premise with detailed information.

Agreed. I'm going to be a little bit rude and say that I don't believe you thought of that when you recommended the 35fcr one (it's a very specific need and you didn't mention why), but yeah, that's a good plan. And sure, trade value certainly is worth shooting for.

Well, of course, but not as slow as you'd be without him there at all. Maybe I'm just crap at CS/avoiding IM, but as soon as there are multiple IM casters at a significant distance from each other I find it very difficult to maintain control without sacrificing run speed or getting the merc killed.

8. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

why use 'dancers on a trap'sin? dancers are a pvp shadow'sin boot.

boots with resistances and a sub 156 str req would be much more useful imho.

9. chronowarp

chronowarp IncGamers Member

Probably for the FHR...but he could get them elsewhere, for sure.

@ Merc dieing in chaos.

I use a defiance merc with a low damage polearm with infintiy in it...Holy freeze breaks bodies, which can be annoying. The defense boost is very nice for my merc, he can tank harder, and for me, when I get caught in groups. It takes him manyhits to die to IM, but usually I can avoid it very easily. Cast COS when you see oblivions, or mind blast them...that usually solves the problem. I also like to mind blast, tele on them, and spam fireblast.

10. fullflavor

this build uses spirit shield which already is at 156 strength. after getting the strength that far up, its perfecty reasonable to go for shadow dancers more skills, good fhr, good dex bonus though not really used. but most importantly if you want to try out the wonders of a dragon talon you will want good dmg boots and it doesnt come any better then these greaves.

nevermind forgetting those boots were made for assassins ^^

the only resistance problem this build might suffer from is fire, as spirit doesnt cover it. but that can be very easily sorted by small charms.

this is not a pvp guide you dont need to go minimum of everything to save points on vitality.

*Alc: sorry for the late reply.

- normally I play with 7 grand charms,1 torch and anni and have free 2x4 slots available for picking up . other 2 charms stays in the stash.

- About FCR spirit, yeah your assumptions are only assumptions im afraid. i keep 2x fcr rings and 20 fcr assa circlet in stash just in case i need to swap out gear, most of the time i dont. except for gloams!!! and at my lvl you cant afford to die to a gloam pack as it will take me weeks to get back to previous lvl of experience bar.

- chaos runs most people use light sentry, in that area i go for death sentry. i hardly place a light sentry in that zone. death sentry along with infinty from merc evens out, and as soon as one dead body all the oblivion knights bite the dust. way better then hoping for lightning sentry to kill it as you can not control who it aims at but you can more or less control how to explode bodies :)

- most guides cover from poor mans items to rich mens and therefore they need more in depth coverage of items, ratios and breakpoints so on. this guide was specific on gear and skill placement. anyone who can read this guide can easily search for the breakpoints of ias, fhr and fcr. which they should and there are specific topics about that.

11. Scudstorm

For boots, I'd say go for upped gores... less requirement, generally better melee boots.

I still think right click beats shift+left click, unless you're a pally and need an aura on that right-hand skill :p (especially when a melee skill is concerned - which is not the case here - as shift + left click seem to miss a lot, while holding down right click makes you move and attack anyone in range)

12. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Agreed, but the build suggested is pure trapper, if you're going to add d-talon you'd want more than just gores... right?

No books of TP/identify, then? I'm assuming the other two charms are for pvp, otherwise they're just dead weight. I'd imagine a pvp trapsin would want C-C, though, and everything changes again if you're adding melee into the mix.

My assumptions are based entirely on what you posted, or more accurately, what you didn't. Let's leave it now, though.

So yeah, this isn't a full guide, then. That's ok - as a build report it's obvious that you've been pretty successful. I've been building the same over the last couple of months and I've really enjoyed it too.

13. Scudstorm

True, I somehow thought it was a dancer hybrid o_O my bad...

In that case, maybe consider Marrowwalk? They save you more stats, and Half Freeze Duration + Mana regen are better mods than 1-2 shadow skills for a trapper imo, especially when the only shadow skills you'd use are BOS, CoS and Mindblast...

Unless you want to hit some BOS breakpoint with those skills, of course.