Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

full vita vs Block comaprison.

Discussion in 'Druid' started by NickaliskTrent, May 13, 2008.

1. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

full vita vs Block comaprison.

Could I make up for the fact that I don't have max block and 50% Dr by hitting the 174/163 FHR and FCR breakpoints? I made a full vita windy and have been trying to play it as I would a sorc.

With 174 fhr I can usually break out of WW's and traps.

The 163 FCR makes it easier to compete with Necros/Sosa's

But I cant fit Block into the gear list for 174/163.

Whats everyones opinion on this? For all around dueling does 174/163>DR and block?

2. Reticent Drappa

Reticent Drappa IncGamers Member

Re: full vita vs Block comaprison.

It is up to you're preference ofc, but I would suggest for all pvp chars having the ability to block (think barbs, amazons, etc.)
    If you did this you would lose some life but would gain the chance to negate 75% of all melee attacks directed at you. Most people I have talked to about fcr agree that 99% is fine.
    If you prefer 163% then you could keep that and only equip the shield when you need it, ie bowazons/barbs/etc. The life you'd lose in comparison for the versatility you'd gain is minor. I'd go for max block.

If you have ele lifer gcs then I would definately get block, the life you'd lose would be nothing compared to the life you'd save by blocking. Also when fighting other windies the ss will shine as it has nice dr, nado being physical dmg.
    Having alot of life is great, but having NO way to protect that life.. :duh:

Hope that helped a bit, good luck!

3. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Personally I think not having block on a non-barb PvP char is nothing short of moronic. 1 point charge + Grief > non block chars. You will also have a tough time winning against Bowzons, barbs, WW sins etc. Also druids only get 2 life per vit point anyway so block is a must IMO.

Barbs I feel are a sort of exception since they have such a high life they don't need much block anyway. But on BvB, they'll still lose without a shield.

4. Reticent Drappa

Agreed, in my opinion even barbs should be able to utilize mb vs certain characters. Loss of minor life is well worth the versatility gained.

5. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

Hm I got about even with barbs currently, its more about predicting when the attacking will come, but i do have a headache when it comes to charge.

I see what you mean, how does a windy duel mindblast assassins? (ww/trap)

Those guys are nearly un-doable, even with 174 fhr.

6. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I don't think its limited to melle attacks. Ranged attacks such as arrows, bolts, javelins, knives, etc can also be blocked. Also there are some magical ranged attacks that can be blocked (bone spirit i think...)

As for dueling... if the opponent has enough damage to one-hit-kill you block won't help that much (charge for example), if the opponent does less damage but shoots oftet block WILL help (zeal for example, idk)

7. Stevomoo

Stevomoo IncGamers Member

so you would rather die every time they swing insted of 1 in 4 times?

8. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Say that to my LLD Fire Druid when he faces Chargers. MB is needed to reduce that sure kill into a "maybe one out of four hits" kill.

9. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

So then Dueling becomes a matter of "pure" luck?
    I block, I win, I don't block I die kinda thing?

You could flip a tetrahedron and have one side colored or something and achieve the same outcome.

For me winning a duel once out of four tries sounds like losing anyhow. I'd probably focus on max DR and life instead of block. (thread still is Vita vs Block)

Don't get me wrong, the shield is good, only as good as defense though. They don't (usually) reduce damage, only the chance to be hit.

Plus if you run your CTB drops to 1/3 of yout dislpayed CTB... and I see many players running around and dieing.

For PvM, max block is undoubtedly extremely useful.

Edit: ops... I must be really tired... you'd win three out of four times... it's better, but not if you're runing around.

10. Stevomoo

Stevomoo IncGamers Member

walk around, with enough frw you will still go fast enough

11. Reticent Drappa

I mentioned specifically in my post several times that the shield would block ---amazons, barbs, etc. Obviously a shield doesnt only block direct melee attacks, as I mentioned clearly in my post.
    And no, shields do not block bone spirits. C/c assassins can.

You'd win less than once out of 4 tries with no shield vs melee chars/bowzons. Without any means of blocking,
    they WILL hit you EVERY time.

The most viable shield for max block would be a stormshield, and it has massive dmg reduction.

I highly doubt that someone who realizes that fact would elect to run with thier max block setup when they have teleport.

12. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Unless your build is so horrendously bad that you cannot survive 1 hit, block is better. (and it shouldn't be that bad, unless it's an untwinked 600 life sorc or something) This is PvP they are talking about. They have all the life charms, skillers, CtA, etc. They have thousands of life and they are NOT going to die in 1 hit even if their opponent is a hammerdin (usually).

13. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

Mindblast using assassins will be a pain for druids. If your opponent is a pure trapper, you can exploit the weapon switch glitch (wsg, check the PvP forum video stickies for a visual explanation) and run out of traps. Better trappers will use fireblast to hold you in traps, as it doesn't suffer the nextdelay that wof does if memory serves me right. Against ww/trappers, wsg-ing becomes even trickier, as if you're dropping your blocking shield and running, a tele-ww will get you a face full of runics. Here I'd suggest using it sparingly only if you're really locked up. Make use of your bear in these ones, and try to hit the 'sin when she doesn't have a trap under her feet (if you're telestomping) or when she's distracted recasting a shadow. Don't expect to win overwhelmingly, just try you best.

Also, if you encounter any ww/wof assassins, just unhostile them right then and there. ^_^

14. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Okay, I admit it's good to have max block, I just can't forget the awful experience I had when a lvl 31 pally one-hit-killed my lvl 83 PvM javazon with max block, and 850 life. I guess more vita wouldn't have helped against a higher level (since they get even more damage).

Yeah, I forgot everyone has Enigma and CtA, and duel with them. IMO using oskills when dueling is BM, so I'd never duel such a player.

15. Reticent Drappa

Not everyone uses enigma, teleport still takes thought to use properly. If you teleport to the wrong spot blindly you are doomed.
    edit: Any Pvm character being killed by a pvp character shouldn't come as too surprising. He was most likely LLD, with very nice charms and gear.
    Also if you think that using runewords is bad mannered then I'd love for someone to show you the effects of lifetap, haha. (When cast heals the life of the opposition much like life leech -which isn't effective pvp. Most frequently used by smiters). And even life tap isn't necessarily 'bm,' although it's EXTREMELY annoying and repulsive (haha). There are much, much, MUCH worse things in public dueling games, such as mod users. (Bleh)

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  16. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

What do you mean "He was most likely LLD" ?

Then, I didn't mean rune words are BM, just using skills that belong to another class. I know life tap on a smiter is annoying, but if a necro uses Life tap, is it really that bad? And what's mod users?

Thanks for now saying "you got owned, btw!" regarding that duel I lost.

17. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

LLD stands for low level dueling (technically that charger would have been an mld or mid level dueler as he is above thirty). Well built chargers pack massive damage (easily 2k plus with massive critical strike and horrid regen if they're an Insight build, or potentially upwards of 6k with an ethereal Bonesnap), they're built to one-hit-kill characters, I've taken down more level 60, 70, and 80 characters that crash lld games than I can recall with a level 30 charger. Don't feel bad if one got you too. ^_^

18. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Well, as I also mentioned in the paladin forum, he did use a shield, and claimed to have over 5k damage. Normally he wouldn't have killed me, but since I have very little experience in dueling... I lost stupidly.... I mean I got him to 1 life in less than a second with high damage plague javelin, but I "forgot" to switch to LF to finish him. Also... I didn't equip a SS... so... it was my mistake I underestimated him. Too bad he left right away after he won...

It's just that even if I had max block... he had a "lucky strike", the first one! So I lost one out of one duels :azn:

19. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Then probability wasn't on your side. I've had a Charger get blocked on 12 straight Charges against me before. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

20. Reticent Drappa

I wasn't saying that at all. You said it was your pvm character.

I doubt that many pvm characters out there would win much (if at all) vs serious pvp characters. I know mine wouldn't, haha.
    None of us always win. :cry: