Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Full Circle?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by quillenl, Jul 6, 2008.

1. quillenl

quillenl IncGamers Member

Full Circle?

I remember many years ago when a great, and well received, action RPG had a sequel released. Even as it was being developed many fansite forums had many posters lividly expressing how terrible the game was... and how badly the developers had forgotten what made the predecessor fun.

When the game was released, several others who had previously been quiet fanboys joined in angry with the product that was received. Heck, I still remember one regular at alt.diablo who said he was going to sue them post launch (intelligent guy but never could figure out just what he planned to sue for. Lack of personal enjoyment?). People even complained that the artwork was too cartoony and colorful and was more like their other product Warcraft than it was true to Diablo 1. Heck, many old timers in alt.diablo were so disheartened with the new Community that they headed off to another newsgroup to talk about Diablo there.

So, I know I can't be the only old timer... but I certainly find it interesting to see history repeating itself. I would honestly be unsuprised to learn that some posts were copied from the summer of 2000.

Anyone else that was into the game back then have their own perspective?

2. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Re: Full Circle?

It happens with every sequel to a game. We just have to live with the fanboys not being happy about everything. Remember, this isn't BK, you don't get it your way.

3. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I was into the game, but I wasn't on forums at that time. Here was my experience: I bought d2 without seeing even a single screenshot of it except for what was on the back of the box in the store. When I first palyed it, I didn't like how the chrs zoomed around on the screen like they were on rollerskates. D1 had more of a "heaviness" feeling to the chrs. They seemed more connected to the ground, and the warrior looked more real in d1 with his chainmail visible between the metal plates of his heavy armor. I thought the first encounter, a quillrat, was a joke. The fields looked too soft and green, like wonderful fertile farmland.

After a few months of playing, I became more forgiving of these cosmetic issues and learned that the important things were the numerous ways you could kill things. I thought it was really neat to kill Duriel by bone prisoning him, them poisoning him over and over so he died by poison. In those days, the rubble from bone prisons stayed on the ground so you could really see the extreme originality of how your necro was killing things. After all, I hadn't played a game where you could specialize in poison and kill a big boss that way.

I later learned that my friends loved the run option on d2 becasue they thought walking in d1 was a pain. I thought the option to walk in d2 seemed pointless and needed some boost besides def, but overall, more options are better than fewer. The running became a necessity becasue of the large size of the maps--a good thing. I grew to like the act 1 fields because it allowed rounding up and slaughtering of mobs which was also a novel playing style for me at the time.

In conclusion, I just wanted to point out with my story that there were things I disliked about D2 when it first came out, but I learned these cosmetic background things end up not mattering at all. What matters is the enjoyment of the rule system, the original ideas, the replayability, the item reward system, and above all the playing styles available. "Variety is the key to entertainment" is a quote I believe applies to any good game. All that matters about d3 imo, is that is has variety--lots of builds, playing styles, options, spells, challenges, etc. Anything else is trivial and won't hurt the game much. Even though there were background details I did not like in d2 at first, I ended up investing many many times more hours into d2 than any other game.

4. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I liked the D2 forums when it had just been announced.

I made such wonderful and useful suggestions to do things like "remove the useless skills like fireball, chain lightning and town portal"

I had wonderful ideas for new skills like "back to town"

And I wanted to see improvements for the spell "Flash" because it was so cool!

5. Hellbane

Hellbane IncGamers Member

my point exactly.

Just posted this in another thread (sorry for the coarse tone):

What the hell is up with this "too much light" nonsense?

You've seen like what, 2 areas? One of them is actually as dark as the darker dungeons in D2, and the other is only slightly (if that even) brighter then the Blood moor or the jungles.

You don't like the witch doctor?

Guess what?
    People didn't like the necro at first either. It was all wah-wah he doensn't fit in, he's not what Diablo is about at all etc. Yet here he is, being heralded as the epithome of the Diablo franchise.

Seriously, the difference in atmosphere between D1 and D2 was much greater than between D2 and D3.

And I bet that anyone who actually was there for the first transition and cried about it, still played D2 for years to come.

You people are un-****ing-believable.

I've played the Diablo series since i was 16 (i'm 29 now) and I know Diablo when i see/hear it.

It won't be without it's flaws, it never was. But i cannot believe we're having the same ****storm again, when history already proved that you little whiners will eat this **** up when it's out. -again-