Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frying Motherboards

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, May 14, 2005.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Frying Motherboards

Question: If I were to "accidently" leave my computer on during a storm, and it just happened to fry, what all would be past recovery? I hate this computer and my mom is considering a new one, but I need that little boost to push her over the edge in my favor. Anyway, would only the motherboard/processor be destroyed, or would I lose everything attached to the motherboard (everything)?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

There's a large chance that a surge will kill your hard drive. As in total data loss. Processor and ram damage are also possible, not to mention power supply. Sabotage by power surge is not reccomended.

3. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

I remember our first 386 got fried when lightning came in through the phone line(yeah we used to need those). It fried the mobo real good but if I remember the HD was fine. Best bet: go into the Bios and start playing, also regedit can be fun too. I did that at a job I knew I was being fired from, my boss kept everything on that thing and no hard copies :rolleyes:

4. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

it's a thunderstorm right now, and i'm listening to my headphones, probably not a good thing, eh?

but it's wireless internet >_>

5. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Dang. Ok, I guess I'll just have to persuade her with words rather than hoping for a surge.

6. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

*waits for Piff in shadowed corner*
    *hands Piff gasoline and matches*
    I think you know what to do.

7. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

Sabotage is truly an artform. The trick is to do minimal damage for maximum effect. Frying you motherboard seem a little over the top.

:lol:

8. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I lost a whole computer when the power sources fan stoped and well......ignited.

Even the CDrom was busted.

If you want to help push her over the edge turn on the computer and if any fans spin. put something in them to stop them from spinning then keep turning the computer on if it automaticly shuts down til the fans stop trying to spin.

Ofcourse you could also get a fire exstinguisher then set the computer on fire then hose it down compleatly totaly ruining it.

9. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Or you could hire a small troupe of dwarves to live inside it, and generally mess it up.

Worked for me...

10. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Used to be you could flip the hard power on and off repeatedly until the magic smoke escaped from the PSU... not sure if that works on newer ones, but you might give it a try ;)

11. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

If your PSU has a voltage switch on the back that changes it from 110V to 240V input just flip it to what it isn't at the moment and turn it on. Should fry that PSU real good and leave the rest of the components unharmed. I know because I did it once by accident.

12. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Is no one else concerned by the ethical issues raised in this issue?

Thought not...

13. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

When I built my computer the switch was set to 240 when we tried turning it on for the first time. Nothing happened. It wouldnt turn on. I freaked out, checked all the jumpers and stuff, then my dad walked by and flipped the switch. :clap:
    It came from the store like that, weird.

14. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

Two words for sabatogeing any computer:

Human *BANNED*

15. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

The lady or the tiger...hmm, tough choice.

Rather than fry your motherboard, just explain to your mother why your current setup is absolute junk and that you could get some money selling off the old one (you'd have to find a buyer first but with the internet, that shouldn't be too difficult). That money could then be applied to the new system and your mother will thank you for being so considerate.

Or, you could try plan B: shotgun at point blank range. Not as useful but certainly more fun.

16. ebyworx

ebyworx IncGamers Member

I don't think shooting his mom is going to get him a new compy any faster

17. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Mea culpa

Oops! I should have clarified that "shotgun at point blank range" meant that he should shoot his computer. There's nothing funny about a person getting shot.

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

you could always update the bios of your mobo and in the middle of it unplug the whole thing. Your data is safe and the computer would no longer work.

Of course. . .you didn't here this from me. . .I told you to get a Mac.

19. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Well, this thing is still workable. All of the separate components work fine, it's just that the newer stuff I've been upgrading it with are not working with the computer. It takes 10-30 minutes to turn it on completely, it often gets stuck before you can enter BIOS. Thing is, I have a pretty good video card, a packed 20 gig harddrive, and other stuff I don't want to lose. Well, I'll stick with the persuasion rather than the sabotage.

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You could unplug everything and then turn it on with a piece of foil conecting the mobo to the case(if the case is metal) or back to the powersupply. That would fry the mobo quickly and leave your stuff safe. Just plug everything back in and don't turn it back on, take it to BestBuy or what have you and let them confirm its dead.