Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frustration sets in... Rant/advice

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Peacrusher, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Frustration sets in... Rant/advice

Ok, here goes...

I've been building a meteorb sorc, mostly for a faster mf player in hell.

Here's my problem. I KEEP DYING. I know this is going to happen. but my sorc is pathetically weak to any kind of attack. Physical or elemental doesn't matter. I don't really understand why other than my life is lower than where I'd like it.

Here's the details

I have max block with a rhyme shield/viscerant that i'm using 75%
    Life is around 358 atm.
    Str enuf for current gear.
    mana base.

Gear.
    Lore Helm/tal's mask (finally)
    Tal's orb, hexfire sword, rare orb +2 skills, 20 fcr, +4 enchant, and resist.
    Vipermaji
    infernostride boots(switch to travs when i'm done lvling)
    gloom's belt
    magefist gloves
    +3 fire ammy wiht 48 life second mod.
    Crappy rings resist, mf mostly

I can take most nm monsters no problem in 1 player game I ran whole game on my own.... now I'm baal running to lvl up and I'm trying to tele and I get stuck in monster packs... can't tele out and I die in seconds. even quaffing pots.

I accidentally killed baal for quest and tried to do den in hell and I died 10 times before I actually cleared it. I'm frustrated. I dont have uber stuff for trading to better equip her. So i'm relying on finds or gifts from others atm.

I guess I'm kinda newbie sorc, prepatch I made a nova sorc for cows only like many others and quickly got bored with her. Now I'm trying to start over. This is also on ladder so I can't twink my other stuff from my prev sorc.

Advice? Gear options? etc?

Hopefully I'll get a better response from the sorc's in this forum... and btw, I've read the guide for meteorb and am following it as best I can....

2. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

What level are you? And do you have a mercenary?

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

some q's for you:
    1. hell baal running?

2. what is skill placement?

3. what is total resist in (wherever you are baalrunning, see #1)?

4. what is stat placement?

6. what level are you now? 62 for tal's mask?

Without the above info, all i can say is that under 700 life is too little to go hell baal running, unless you have max resists, near-max phys dam reduce, max blocking (which you have), lightning absorb, and 105% fcr.

Another thing is that energy shield kills most sorcs i know during worldstone tp's, except those with 20 telekenesis. try not using it.

why you are dying:
    non-max resists will kill you instantly and invisibly vs any elemental enchanted boss.

energy shield does not use your resists, so if you get hit by a gloam you will generally die in 1-2 bolts no matter how much mana you have.

it appears you are not hitting the 63% fcr breakpoint (20 magefists, 20 vipermagi) which is basically considered the minimum to survive in hell.

act 1 is generally a pain in the butt for most cold sorcs. skip it, a2-4 are much easier and more profitable.

you are too low level. the monster level difference affects damage, so i generally stay in nm until 70. you can still play nm games, but you will either a) need to start them, or b) find them with a lower level char and join them with your sorc. i think you can handle starting them.

your life is too low. around 600-700 with max resists is required to survive one solid elemental hit in hell. 900 is better, 1200 is better still. i usually stay around 700-800.

you need better eq. do some nm baal, meph, or a5su runs.

4. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

Hi could you tell us what level your sorc is atm
    358 life is definately too low to baal run with - have you done the lam essen quest as this will give you an extra bit to vitality (i know its small but its a start) try getting some small charms with life and maybe resists - they can go up to 20 life but i am sure you could get slightly less good ones for a lot cheaper.

i would definately change those boots - try trading for waterwalks if you can on your budget - i dont think they will be too expensive for you.

you could also try partying up with a barb with warcries to boost your life.

i would also try to trade for a Dwarfstar ring as this will give you +40 to life and some other useful mods.

try teleporting in the gaps rather than down the center (as in the center are most of the boss packs are) you may need more fast cast as you need to break the 63% fcr barrier (sorry cant remember if you have more than this or not :innocent: )

hope this helps :wave:

5. Superhal

6. Peacrusher

Wow, I'm surprised by this response.

Uh well lets see where to start.

My FCR is ok 20 magefist, 30 viper magi, 25 from rhyme? I also got 20 from my 2 orbs, I use wizzy when teleporting so I do have decent resists in nm. Near 70's

I've been running nm baal, only tried den the one time basically to get a quick skill point.

Skill points

orb maxed
    1 pt CM
    prereq.

Meteor maxed
    working one fireball atm, then FM.
    will put points into CM till I get 7 pts there.

I only have points in lightning tree for teleport. NO ENERGY SHIELD and such

What shield should I be looking for? My 2 shields atm only have 60% chance to block on them. By my calculations 72% requires 166 pts in dext to maintain max block (necro calculations.) I have a ss on a mule and have considered twinking it over, but I'll loses a skill point in all skills, Lidless chance to block sucks period, and no resists.

Obviously I'd love to get my hands on some soj's or and occy but alas it's not in the cards atm.

Oh current lvl is 66, I started wearing tal's mask, orb, and belt it helps some with the mf....

I bought a holy freeze merc in nm but he's died a few times and I didn't have enough money to resurect him.... I'll go back an level him up, He'll use guardian angel, or atmas wail, hone sundan, and nats helm. Is there another merc option that will be better?

7. Superhal

imho, you need to focus your eq and skills. after you finish hell you can switch to mf. stop using the tal's stuff. i use a shako for hell, if you don't have one, a lore helm is passable.

it appears to me that you don't have enough resists for hell. a quick fix is smoke armor (nef, lum). worked for me.

blocking is ok if you use rhyme, not lidless.

don't worry too much about +skills. you are dying before you hit them.

you don't have nearly enough pdr and resists to use meteor. you should raise fireball and use that if orb can't handle it.

go back to nm baalruns and wait a bit. i wait until 70, but your eq is worse than mine, so maybe 73-75. by then you'll have 12-15 fireball with the meteor synergy and FM, that should handle a1.

i don't believe in depending on the merc. he is helpful though. give him a shaft, and any storebought lance, and drag his butt through maybe bloody foothills in nm. you might have to tank for him.

energy shield is up to you. i say don't use it, others will say to use it.

8. Peacrusher

Ok this is prolly a dumb question...

Eq? and pdr? I'm not familiar with those abreviations.

I'm switching to putting points into vit solely now.

I have resists on vipermagi and tal's helm, again lore with the skills.

Is the ss a good way to go with the shield? I'll have to boost str to use it though...

My main goal is to use her for andy runs in hell act 1 when she's able to survive long enough....

course I'm not sure i'll ever get to that point.... I literally was bout to delete her last night I was so frustrated with the dying...

9. wind

wind IncGamers Member

WOW! ioupain mentioned it but lets give more emphasis on your life! and level as well.

With my sorc, just over 900 life, even with maxed resists it isn't too uncommon to suddenly get zapped well under half that life in an instant. More often a good third goes bye bye. And she's level 90. It wasn't till I had around 750 life, I could go through the WSK and keep an upper hand against the monsters. More life and more levels are the basic ways to go.

I took time getting the charms to obtain that level of life. Running easier parts of the game and building your sorc up would help. Just takes time.

10. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

First, if you can...upgrade the viser, socket it/ pdiamond (this should increase your def, blocking, and res.

Second, Invest base points(2) for shiver armor. Once you have all the plus skills eq you will eventually get, this will bring up SA to the point that you get more than double the def in teh meaqn time it will help with def increase...just rememberto keep it up.

Third, (this one's gonna hurt a bit) go back to act 1 normal, grab a cheap defiance merc, and level him up and equip him. By the time you get hm up to your level he'll be putting out level 9 defiance. This will again double your def. and also give you a good pyhsical attack against CI/FI.

By lvl 84 you can achive (based on gear as well) some really good def numbers. With full tal set, magefist, and wartrav, a lvl 84 def merc, and lvl 14 SA my def is at about 6400. So it is possible to achive some really good def with a bit of a re-alignment.

You'll need to get your FCR up above 65 without the rhyme shield. It's blocking and base def, is not really good enough for traversing hell, and as you need the shield to get your FCR above the 65% BP, you're kind of stuck in the viscious circle. (Need high FCR to teleport so use weaker shield, but because you have weaker shield, you don't have enough def/block to survive while teleporting, and when you switch yo higher def shield for blocking, you dont' have a high enough FCR to evade.)

Your equipment (eq) isn't great but it might hold up unitl you can find better. Try doing NM Andy(Best shot as a SOJ lies here), meph runs to find md level stuff. If you invest in that chaep mec I mentioned, you can lvl him up by doing the NM runs. (He won't level as fast as if you quested him out, but he wil eventually level up.)

If you're on USEAST Ladder, I might have some equipment that would help.

Just my 2 cents

Storm

11. Peacrusher

yes i am infact on east ladder,

Mostly play necros but my sorc char is brimstone-rain... I'll be lvling her tonight. I'll be happy to offer any trades I could but i'm poor in caster stuff and other things... perhaps some p gems or such....

Your acct/char name? I'll look for ya when I log on tonight.

what is pdr? percent dam reduce? like shaft and gaze do?

*edit

NM andy is good for soj??? I knew andy was bugged but thought her TC in nm was too low... maybe I'll run her a bunch tonight and that will be a good way to lvl merc too.

12. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

PDR = physical damage reduction - yeh the same as on shaft and gaze,
    however, this is not really your top priority as resists, life and max block come first.

13. Tron

Tron IncGamers Member

I would go wizardspike/SS. I tried on my friend's meteorb sorc that has this as well as a few res charms and he has 70+ res all in hell. Shee is rock solid; hardly ever dies unless a lag spike. It might be too late to dump those extra points into str/dex, however.

14. Kenned

Kenned IncGamers Member

Do u have FASTER HIT RECOVERY ?? Its really really important in hell. U need to be able to move away quickly from monsterpacks and faster hit recovery and at least 63 % faster cast rate and 75 % block rating will allow u to do so. I dont know about Faster hit recovery breakpoints but i would say about 30 or something ? It really helps alot!

15. Peacrusher

well I decided to keep at it last night. gained 4 more lvls in about 4 hours of play.

strategy
    Run nm andy and meph for items and exp

gear adjusted

tal's mask 15 resistall
    tal's belt dex
    Viper magi
    Magefist
    niferno stride
    tal's orb/viscerant
    Wizzy and rhyme

I equipe wizzy/rhyme combo and tele to meph/andy I got patterns figured out now so this goes much quicker (no MH here)

I kill councile members with merc and wizzy basically casting orb like mad.

switch weapons and tel to meph orb once to slow, and static till he's 25% then a couple of meteors and my merc's holy freeze hopefuly has kicked on by then and he's hacking away as well. i try to tank / quaff pots till merc gets final strike is mf from steal skull and my 100 or so mf kick in and found some decent items...

best items last night (nm) Kelpie snare (merc) Rockfleece (merc) 31% chancies, Hone sundane (merc) trang gloves..... Did find stormreaver tabar, and boneslayer but chucked those to freebie games I have no melee chars atm.....

I was wrong on my life yesterday... I said my life was around 350 or something... It's actually 560's with my gear. Got a good BO last night in a baal run that bumped me to 1200 though... I loved that barb.....

I'm putting points totally in vit atm and looking for a good spare shield.

SS is str expensive so i'll have to think about that, perhaps a hel rune but a p diamond would give better resists...

What about tiamets or stormchaser? What are their block rates? Cheap route would be a ward gothic shield I have a resist all 41 one of those...

Merc is dying to poison badly... I need to help him... either with leech or better armor....

After I max fire ball (2 more points I'll put enuf points in CM to get lvl 7, then finish fire mastery.... Still don't think I'm ready for hell, but getting more comfortable.

I did find that if I accidentally tele into a pack of monsters (especially fetishes) I lock up. like zons do... either blocking too much to cast or getting hit that interupts the casting.

16. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

you're getting better loot than i have had so far. And i did about 30 hell meph runs last night, got nothing cept for cold facet. Id like to know also.. how come it takes you 4 hrs to gain 4 lvls??

17. Peacrusher

It probably has something to do with me running only meph and andy for the entire time... though I did hit pindle a bit that helped to lvl my merc up. He's only lvl 57 now....

this was all in nm btw....

Another quick question...

Can shaft, duriels, and tal's ammy drop from nm meph?

Also someone earlier posted that nm andy can drop a soj, is that right? Best I got was some rare rings and crappy set ammy's like civerbs, and cathans.

What is a headhunter? I'm not familiar with this...

18. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

NM Pindle will lvl him fast....

Shaft, Duriels Shell, Skullder'S Ire, ... and Tal Amu can drop from Meph.
    You'd better get up to lvl80 and higher and THEN do some runs if that is possible with your gear.

Andy can drop SOJ and nice Amusand other rings. She has the best chance for dropping jewelry!

Headhunter's Glory. Troll Nest Shield with possible 3 sockets nic def and resist. Used as MF SHield with 3 IST inside.

19. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

he said NM andy/meph

500-600 life is barely sufficient for late nightmare. In hell I'd recommend at least 800 life with max block/resist, or 1200 hp with max resist (and no block, which I prefer because I like lidless wall). Max block is worthless if you can be killed in less than 3 hits due to a bad teleport because of block lock (so you cannot teleport out). I found that FCR is a lot more useful then FHR because you can teleport out so quickly without getting hit more than once. I've kept a couple of sorcs with 110 FCR and I very rarely got hit even with a bad teleport because of fast cast (plus I'm using HF merc). A cold armor helps a lot by slowing down the monsters if they hit you so you have more time to teleport out. I don't find FHR too useful because it is only useful after you got hit, but the monster will be chilled by your cold armor and that little time it gives allow the HF effect to kick in, which in turn gives you enough time to teleport out. The only exception goes to frenzytaur pack, in which case FHR is much more important because they are fast hitters and cannot be frozen by cold spells or HF.

Finally I find that Stormshield is only beneficial if you are going for max block. Otherwise lidless wall is way better especially if it helps you to break the next FCR break point. Rhyme shield is not a good shield for max block because it takes a lot of dex. If you want resist a 3D tower or ancient plenge is better (and cheaper too). If you want power lidless wall is better. However if you decide to go for safety SS with max block is probably the best. However I could be biased because I need lidless to break to 105 FCR.

My equipments (Asia 2, HCL)
    Shako (with p.topaz)
    occy
    32% viper
    lidless
    magefist
    IK belt
    rare boot with FRW and 30+ resist to two elements (forgot which)
    ravenfrost
    rare ammy/ring together that gives me about 50 resist all, 80 life, 100 mana, and 38 strength, 10 FCR.
    1 sucky anni

on switch: rare orb with ES and chilling armor

The ring/ammy/IK belt gives me enough strength (with a swapping of IK glove) to equip stormshield (and then get back on magefist because the +str on SS is enough for me to equip it). And since I didn't invest on dex at all, it sucks. PDR does not really cut it for me because I don't get hit very often, with or without SS. I'd rather keep the lidless wall simply because higher killing power means more safety. I've tried using SS on my other "caster" characters like winddruid, necro, javazon (ok only somewhat caster for this one) and it is very helpful because I do have to close my distance with monsters and cannot run away quickly when I got too close. With a sorc I don't find it useful because I can teleport, and teleport very fast.

If you are curious here is my rough stat
    75 base str (roughly 140 str mod)
    base dex (mod only comes from ravenfrost, but it's worthless for block)
    all vit (~1200 life after equipment, double that after BO if I party with a barb)
    base energy (~700 mana after equipment)
    75% resist all
    something like 5% block
    110 FCR
    0 FHR
    +8 all skills, +1 more to fire
    10% PDR
    several other small assorted MDR and PDR

20 orb/meteor/FM
    10 CM (slvl 18 after +skills)
    1 static/teleport and other preq
    maxing FB/firebolt at this moment
    clvl 89

on MF runs I switch out only viper for wealth armor, which gives me max resist except cold (but with ravenfrost it acts as max cold resist), and 250+ MF. I found that it is sufficient (not great though) if you do fast and easy boss runs such as hell andy/countess/meph/pindle. I can add 25% more if I carry rhyme shield on switch but I'm too lazy =P.

20. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

Is there a reason to staying in nm? or is it just too hard for him?

I am asking because i'd like to know if there are better drops or something there because i heard of something like andy being bugged.