Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frozen Orb: The Return!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by -wicked~night-, Feb 17, 2004.

1. -wicked~night-

-wicked~night- IncGamers Member

Frozen Orb: The Return!

Blizzard has always done more damage than Orb, altho not as accurate. With the arrival of 1.10, synergies brought a change to our cold skills. The fact of Blizzard not being accurate was no longer an issue, the point is: it kills!

Now.. Why would one still use Orb when you got Blizzard around?
    Ever wondered what's the damage on those Orb shards? You got the orb damage, which is the globe, but no damage displayed as for the shards. Well, it doesn't have to since it's pretty obvious: Those shards are named "Ice Bolts" which is the only synergy to Frozen Orb.

Ice Bolts do 49 damage at clvl 20, not much but they gain 15% damage per synergy lvl. Since Orb is a synergy for Ice Bolt, it gets a +300% damage increase, (+147 damage). 147 damage per maxed synergy doesn't sound much but with 3 max synergies you got 490 damage per bolt, and remember, there isn't just one or two bolts.

With +skills and +cold skill damage on top, praise the Orb :)

Be advised when trying it out on the realms since data not totally confirmed (altho I'm 80% convinced).

2. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

Lol, sorry to burst your bubble

Sorry to burst your bubble but while those bolts look the same as icebolts they are not the same as the icebolt skill. They are infact the dmg that is listed for frozen orb. You think the orb does damage but infact it is just all those shards coming off of it that is doing the dmg.

Jason

3. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

if you were to aim the FO so that it opened up on your target, the dmg can be the same or maybe more then blizzard. not sure of to how many hit a target like this takes from FO, it gets hit 2 or 3 time b4 the orb hits and opens, then on the open it gets the burst.

blzzard hits with 24 shards i believe, dose any 1 know how many shards fire off a FO with out slow on?

4. AndyChrono

AndyChrono IncGamers Member

A long time ago someone calculated it to be about 46 shards. 16 on the final explosion.

5. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Humm people, have you ever used a orb sorceress on mephy lately, IT OWNS. I have a bliz sorc on ladder and a orb sorceress on non-ladder. Now blizzard isnt really the most trusting skill, it has taken me as many as 10 bliz to kill meph and as little as 2-3. Orb can kill meph within 4-5 orbs with my sorceress as long as I get final explosion right on mephy, which isn't hard b/c he is so huge. And orb is much easier to go pvm with. The only problem with orb is that its synergy doesn't really do enough, and that you really need a straightup shot, which places you in danger...

6. Rosco264

Rosco264 IncGamers Member

It seems to me they both do about the same damage but frozen orb is so popular because its just plain fun to see it mow down some cows. But blizzard can probably kill cows at just the same speed but it is so hard to get them or any monster to just stand still and let the ice bombard it. But what do I know i've just been playing for a month so what do I know...

7. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Blizzard kills way faster if you synergize it. Ice blast kills single targets as fast as FO.