Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

frozen orb sorc...?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Spawn of God, Apr 25, 2005.

?

Best barb untwinked mfer

1. WW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Frenzy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Conc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. WC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. a hybrid of 2 or more of the above (please post wich)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other, i doubt an untwinked doublethrower would do well but ive been wrong before.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

frozen orb sorc...?

hey all, im making a frozen orb sorc and ive maxed frozen orb, ice bolt, ice mastery, and have points into all other half good skills like warmth and teleport and static field, and i can max one more thing

so sjould i max:
    chilling armor
    shiver armor
    frozen armor
    or other (and tell wat other and y)

vote here plz

2. olimikrig

olimikrig IncGamers Member

I voted other. With a Frozen Orbtress I wouldn't go for any armor at all. Instead I would go for a base vit sorc with 100 str, base dex, base vit, rest in energy, and a maxed telekinesis + maxed Energy Shield.

That's just how I like to build Orbtress' (Don't know whether I've made that name up myself, but I do like it :p )

3. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

The answer to the inital question depends on the gear the sorc is using, and the play style. there is really no right or wrong choice, though usually 1 pt in Frozen is well enough.

what's the actual use of such a build? Regardless, a well-built paladin in enigma can soak up much more damage than this sorc, can teleport as fast as the sorc, and can do more damage to more targets than this sorc can ever dream about by using FO.

4. olimikrig

To me, it's not always about having a point, but about having fun. Sure, I have yet to find the hammerdin, or well builded smiter who I can take down.
    The Frozen Orbtress do have some interesting sites, though. I do a lot of CS/pit/cow running with a fire sorc friend of mine, and I found that the Orbtress did these a lot better than my blizzard or lightning sorc were able to. Because of the less random hits, and the better spreading the orb has, and the fact that lightning do not slow mobs down (She didn't do more than 11k dmg, which might explain why she didn't kill fast enough), made sure that he could stand safe all the time while throwing fb's and meteors.

Another reason as to say this, is simply to answer the question. If I were to make a Frozen Orbtress, I wouldn't use any of the armors! I think that it's a point wasted, and I would rather use my points on maxing telekinesis + ES, and FO + synergy (think it's ice bolt) + cold mastery. If I were to put a point in any of them, I would put 1 point in the first one, but as the absolutely last thing, when the rest is maxed.

You go make your Frozen Orbtress, I promise that she's a whole lot of fun, though you might have problems vs. some characters in pvp (mostly paladins, but also bowazons if you don't tele fast enough.).
    If you get a decent absorb, most trapasins looks like a joke. Kick assas might be troublesome, if you do not have good enough fcr (recommend getting 105%). Barbs is a joke, unless they wear enigma, and tele on top of you.

When talking pvm, she don't have that much troubles, and I can easily rush hell with a good enough merc at my site; cta would also help alot here).

(p.s. If you do really want a armor so badly, why not use a orb/stave that gives +x to one of the armors? They can be cast as pre-buffs, you know.)

5. Spawn of God

actually this is my first cold sorc, and ive so far followed my "caster" set ive also had trapsins, foh pallys, hammerdins, fire sorc, and bone necro (all of which where very successful)

this is my skills and stats and gear so u can better see wat skill i should use.

no dex, enof str to use nightwings (100), the rest spilt between vita and energy

items: perf nightwings, vipermagi, lidless, death fathom, 2 soj, arachnids, silkweaves, 10 cold gcs, anni, madefists, and armeggedon fletch related ammy (not and armeggedon fletch, but so close its basically the same)

ive put 1 point into warmth, 1 to tele, 1 to telekenisis, 1 to static, 1 into each point on the cold skill tree, with frozen orb maxed, ice bolt maxed, and cold mastery maxed.

olimikrig- as for the energy shield/telekinesis strategy, ive heard of it but dont understand it at all, so i refrain from using it. maybe u could explain it better than the stickied thread on it?

6. olimikrig

No, but I can quote one who can! I advise you to check these out, regardles: this and this .

Ok, I'll make this short. ES in it self sucks big time. The reason as to why you need to max both ES and telekinesis is, and I quote here:

7. Spawn of God

thats wat i dont understand, from wat i know about telekinesis, it does these things:

opens chest from far away
    activates shrines from far away
    picks up gold and other small items from far away
    ability to push opponent away from the caster casting telekinesis
    can do slight dmg to weak enemies

thats wat from expierience has told me wat telekinesis can do. ive never seen any other sourse except this strategy forums ALONE thats talks about telekinesis reducing mana absorb/steal

EDIT: ohhhh...i get it. when in doubt check arreat summit lol

8. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Ppl use telekesis to synergize Energy Shield, making it more powerful.

9. Spawn of God

i have one more question for u olimikrig, u seem to no alot about telekinesis/ES setup, so heres my question:

i have 17 skill points left, zero points into energy shield, and 1 point into telekinesis. how should i distribute the last 17 skill points i have to make the energy shield/telekinesis setup most effective?

10. olimikrig

Well, I wouldn't distribute any point less I maxed both. So my answer would be to find something else to put those points into. With only a distribution of 18 points between the two skills, your absorbation'll be ridiculous, only putting points into ES will be just as ridiculous, as ES sucks in itself.

11. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Well, why don't we all go and play cookie cutter hammerdins :rolleyes:
    The game's about fun, people. Plus, not everyone has an Enigma stashed aside.

PS. A Paladin can never cast as fast as a Sorc can (9 frames vs 7).

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I've used TK to smack monsters around when they were double immune and my Merc was having trouble getting hits in. It helps him out a lot.

13. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

1 in Energy shield, rest in Telekinesis. Hopefully you have enough +skills to make this work.

How did you distribute your stat points? If you went the normal route and put all remaining points into Vitality, I wouldn't recommend going for Energy Shield.

14. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

What do you recommend that stat distribution for a sorc with around 800 mana (still base) and around 70% ES. I heard 100 energy/rest vit is good.

This is the only problem for my 200%FCR FBer now.

Also you can forget about the point into ES as there is quite a bit of prequisites. Just find a +3ES staff and make a memory out of it for a +9ES on switch.

15. Spawn of God

this is how my sorc is:

lvl 70
    23 plus to all skills
    230 energy and vitality (this is points in em not my amount of life and mana)
    which brgs my life to 1k and my mana to 1200
    1 point to warmth
    1 point to fire bolt
    1 point to fire ball
    6 points to enchant (helps my merc alot)
    1 point in static field
    1 point in telekinesis
    1 point in teleport
    (none in ES)
    1 point into every skill on the cold skill tree (a total of 7 points excluding my maxed skills)
    maxed frozen orb
    maxed ice bolt
    maxed cold mastery
    im getting my charachter to lvl 85, which is where ill stop lvling, and i havent done hell izzy yet so she has...17 skill points left as ive said b4.

that is my sorc in all her glory, still taking suggestions for the last 17 skill points.