Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frozen Orb Pvm Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by §Hex Vex§, Sep 7, 2006.

1. §Hex Vex§

§Hex Vex§ IncGamers Member

Frozen Orb Pvm Sorc

All right, I want to build a pure frozen orb sorceress that's gonna mainly be used for mfing. Its only going to do meph, and some other certain bosses. The basic build would be this?

20 Cold Mastery
    20 Frozen Orb
    20 Ice Bolt
    4 pre reqs for Frozen Orb
    1 Static
    1 Teleport
    1 Telekenesis
    1 Warmth

At level 85, I would have 97 skill points. That would take up about 68 skill points I think, so I'll have about 29 extra skill points. What I'm wondering is, what should I put the extra points into? Glacial Spike? Ice Blast?

Oh, and what kind of Merc should I choose for this kind of build? Holy freeze would be a bit stupid because of the Frozen Orb...

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Glacial Spike doesn't really do anything for you. I would probably throw a few in EShield and max Telekenesis to improve its effectiveness. The other main option would be to sink a few more into Static, Teleport, and/or Warmth (Static until you feel comfortable with the radius; Teleport until you get down to where you can tele constantly without losing any mana; Warmth otherwise, but I'm not a huge fan).

For Merc definitely use Defiance. If you were planning to MF anywhere your Merc would have to take out cold immunes fairly often, I'd suggest Might.

3. §Hex Vex§

Yeah since I'm mostly just gonna use this for andy and meph I guess basically. So a defiance merc then? I'm still not sure on the extra skill points though. Seeing as how I'm not really that big of a fan of ES. The other option would be nice, but I are there any other options other then those?

4. pacifickarma

pacifickarma IncGamers Member

Firewall for a decent alternative attack that doesn't require much in the way of a synergy?

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Dump all into Telekinesis and get a nice ES lvl form items. ES/FO Sorc is a very nice build :D With good Merc forget about secondary tree attack.

6. §Hex Vex§

Mmkay, so lets see...20 into telekinesis and about a natural slvl of 9 for ES. With all my items, it would be a nice ES lvl. Yet, what about skill points? Enough strength for the equipment, and I'm not likely to put any into dexterity. Should I go for all energy for the ES? Since I'm somewhat confused what to do when I have an ES/FO Sorc.

Thanks

7. kakobobo

kakobobo IncGamers Member

Well if all you're going to do is Meph and Andy you could max firewall and do good damage.

8. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

if you go the energy shield/telekinesis route then you may want to points into energy to give you a nice big mana pool - this will do a number of things:

1. you probably won't have any trouble teleporting unless you get hit by a mana burn monster.
    2. level 1 warmth + skills will be enough to regen your mana quickly enough (although insight merc helps tremendously)
    3. don't get dexterity, blocking and energy shield don't go well together.
    4. having low life or resistances wont be so dangerous, which means you can pile on the mf gear!

9. §Hex Vex§

All right, so theres always the secondary attack such as firewall, or the es/fo build, as well as just putting into the utility skills. The advantage of firewall would be a secondary attack that I can use if their cold immune, but then it would take forever for it to kill since I'd have to aim it correctly which I do poorly at. The Es/Fo build is what I'm not so keen on, since with that, I could still die easily even if a lot of the mana was used up, right? Utility skills would increase my versatility such as putting points into static/warmth but it might not be so useful against those cold immunes.

In your opinion, what would be the best route to go for when I'm just going to run mainly Andariel and Mephisto?

10. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

You shouldn't even be considering making a pure Cold Sorc if you're going to be so worried about cold immunes; go Meteorb instead.

Pure Cold, however, is the best build against Meph, especially if you can lower his cold res all the way to -100%.

Andy, on the other hand, is very vulnerable to fire (-50% inherent fire res); even a mediocre Fireball takes her out very quickly.

If you're mainly doing just Andy and Meph, Pure Cold will do you fine, but if you ever want to be able to take this gal elsewhere when you get some better gear, I'd suggest Meteorb.

11. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Firewall sounds good when maxed even with just a few points into mastery and its not hard to use !

12. rendo

rendo Banned

Well with appropriate Mf gear as well as plus gear... You'd get what? +8 to all? If you maxed Shiver armor you'd get, with synergies 207% more defense bonus. That could help cut down on damage taken as well as freeze targets/slow targets for 36 seconds. That's an option for dolls that try and pop you if you get caught in the pack.

13. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

maxing any of the cold armours is a mistake imho, especially as he really sounds as though he would like another attack

14. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

actually, putting ANY points into the cold armours is a mistake IMHO, you can easily shop/find a staff/orb with +3 to cold armor of choice to keep on switch when you need it.

15. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

I like to put a hard point into shiver armor because I want the freedom of using an alibabba/gull or a wand with a necro curse on it.

The only time I might put more than 1 point into shiver would be maybe for an enchantress.

16. §Hex Vex§

All right, thanks all.

17. Immortal_King

Immortal_King IncGamers Member

Is FO a viable build for hell chaos sanc?

There are almost no natural cold immunes there besides the curser guys which can be solved with infinity merc. However, the damage would probably suck compared to a blizz/lightning sorc eh? Has anyone played an orb sorc in chaos runs continuously?

18. MikeDIABLO

MikeDIABLO IncGamers Member

Re: Frozen Orb Pvm Sorc

im gonna try a new setup i think
    20 in Warmth
    20 in ice ball
    20 in Frozeorb
    10 in Static
    10 in Firewall

and one to all the way things + Tele

- Mike ( New player on Diablo)

19. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

the oblivion knights cold immunity CANNOT be solved by an infinity merc. As far as sorcs and chaos sanct goes, the best one is the lightning sorc with an infinity merc, of course.

That being said, an orb sorc (pure orb or meteorb) with a good merc can clear chaos just fine (just skip the damn oblivion knights, and be prepared to take a little bit of time to let your merc kill lord deseis). Hammerdins and lightning sorcs are much faster at it, and can be more thorough too (clearing the whole place as opposed to skipping mobs.

20. btessito

btessito IncGamers Member

If you are just running Andy and Meph as a pure cold sorc then I would go with blizzard + synergies. Blizzard is also much more effective when running pindle and the ancient tunnels.