Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frozen Orb + Chain Lightning Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by KaUgA, Jul 26, 2004.

1. KaUgA

KaUgA Diabloii.Net Member

Frozen Orb + Chain Lightning Sorc

I'm starting a new Non-Ladder sorc and decided to go along with the Orb + Chain lightning skills. I'm going to put more points into chain lightning and the lightning tree as opposed to the cold tree. I've already made a damn good PvM sorc so I think I can handle this fairly easily. If anyone has something important which I should know, drop a line. Like would it be better to have more points in the cold tree, not the lightning tree? Do I need a lot of warmth (I think I remember reading somewhere that lightning sorcs need a lot of warmth).
    US EAST *kauuga

2. GenXCub

GenXCub Diabloii.Net Member

Lightning Sorcs use a lot of mana, but you don't necessarily need more warmth. Adding 20% more to your mana pool will regenerate mana just as fast as getting 20% more from your warmth skill, since your mana ball fills at the same speed. I'd say stick with 1 point +skills and only add points to warmth once you've reached the max that your mana pool will be. It's easy to fall into the warmth trap early on in the game since most sorceresses need a lot of mana potions until they've reached the 60's, where their items and their total mana pool can handle all the stuff they're dishing out.

3. KaUgA

I figured I'd be throwing 2x SoJs and Frosties on the sorc pretty quick. Will her damage be up to par? Do you think she should be able to handle hell by herself? I personally havn't seen a lot of lightning + cold immunes, but then again I never saw lightning immunes until I made a trapper.

4. GenXCub

GenXCub Diabloii.Net Member

There are no individual monster types with 2 immunities. You'll see it on a few bosses though since there are plenty of mods that give over 100% resists when combined. You'll just have to let your merc take them out. However, a tactic I don't see too often (but would be cool) is that there are rings and amulets with charges of the Attract skill. This doesn't work on bosses, but it does on minions. and it can keep monsters busy while your merc works away.

5. KaUgA

Ya attract would be cool. Thanks for your help

6. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Diabloii.Net Member

You definately want more points in the lightning tree than the cold tree.

FO is very powerful without synergies, it's reliable and strong enough in hell without even maxing it.

CL on the other hand has such a pitiful minimum damage, that the really high end maximum damage will make a huge difference.

I have a sorc which is soloing hell using these two skills (among others), and with ~45 points invested in chain lightning+lightning+lightning mastery, and ~12 points invested in frozen orb + cold mastery, the two spells kill about evenly.

In normal or nightmare on the other hand, CL kills everything.. like.. fast. :)

The mana issues a chain lightning sorceress will face cannot be overstated IMO. You will never use another character which chews through so much mana so quickly.

Good-luck.

7. Ritslev

Ritslev Diabloii.Net Member

I think something is left out of this discussion... the importance of Faster Cast.

Yes skills are important, but for a CL sorc FasterCast is even more important.
    I have a -pure- Lightning sorc.. meaning I've maxed CLs synergies and spend 100+ points on the lightning tree, with only 1 in Warmth (yes every sorc needs 1 in this skill don't they?)

I will say this, no matter how many points you spend a CL sorc will NOT be able to handle anything in hell really UNLESS you have a TON of faster cast.
    The reason for this is the low minimum damage.

An example is (and no these are NOT the actual figures but close to it.)

If you can cast 3 times per second .. at 10 k damage.. you do max 30 k damage.
    While if you cast 4 times a second at only 7 k damage you do 28 k
    As you can see at a lower damage (a lot lower) with one single break point you do nearly the same damage...

Now personally I have a 120% faster cast and a 12.7 k CL and it is like a stream of lightning... this is over kill. My advice would be.

Frozen Orb : 15+ (with skills : xx) Max it.
    Cold Mastery : xx (with skills : 17) here you need to see what your +all skills u have and reach 17.. 17 is minimum.
    From my guess that will have used you a total of : 31 skill. (assuming you maxed FO. 6 or so in CM since you'll be able to get a +11 skills to all while still looking at faster cast.)

My suggested gear for not MF is :
    Shako (+2 all)
    Mara (+2 all)
    Esc Temper (+3 all)
    Lidless (+1 all)
    Arach (+1 all)
    2 Soj (+2 all)
    ....... that is +11
    But that is also : 80% faster cast... which brings you close to the magical 120% barrier (117% for Chain Lightning to be precise)
    Put on :
    Magefist
    Ormus (or Viper if you like)
    and you're set.....

that leaves you with the Lightning Skills.... my suggestion is to :
    Lightning : 20
    Chain Lightning : 20
    Lightning Lastery : 20
    Warmth : 1
    those three you MUST get.
    That is 62 additional points, counting prerequesits.

So that is : 62+31 points spend at a whooping 91... but with 12 skills from quests.. you're at : 79 level.

Now level 90 is -easy- to get so lets assume you do pump the lightning tree.. I would definately suggest to pump :
    Teleport : 1 (with Telekinesis as a prereq.) draining 2 points..
    Static : 1
    so at level 82 u will have 8 skill points till u can get level 90.. and those should goto :
    Charged Bolt : 9
    That is all the skills you'll need...

Your Orb won't be Maxed..
    Your Chain Lightning won't be Maxed...

BUT you will still be cutting through hell fast... Not as Fast as a pure Lightning Sorc.. nor a Pure Cold Sorc.. but then again you won't have problem with Cold nor Lightning Immunes... err as long as you don't meet a COLD AND LIGHTNING immune monster..

8. KaUgA

This build sounds pretty fun. I think my gear will go something like this
    Shako
    Viper
    2x SoJ's
    Tals Ammy (Don't have Maras)
    Occy (I hate the % to Teleport, what a god awful idea that is)
    Lidless
    Verdungos or Gloom
    Magefist (I'm thinking about Frosties for the %mana increase)
    Sandstorm Trek

Overall I think I'll have something like +11 to skills. Not too bad, I could always find something better. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could find an Ormus with +3 Chain Lightning?

As for FCR, I have no idea where I'm going to get that. I don't know the percentages on the equiptment so I can't even guess to what I'll have.

Go heavily into lightning tree? Makes sense, having that low minimum damage.

What about Stat points? Im guessing
    Str ~ Enough for equipt, I don't want to rely on charms or anything
    Dex ~ Depends on if I want block or not
    Vit ~ As much as possible
    Energy ~ This will be pumped in the beginning, I prob want around 600-800 mana or so right?

One last question. Does Thunderstorm act as a synergie for Chain Lightning? That would be cool if it did.

US EAST *kauuga

9. Ritslev

Ritslev Diabloii.Net Member

Heh .. what U think my Ormus has :) ...

And no TS isn't a Synergie to CL

10. KaUgA

Soooo jealous :(.

I just traded an Eth +3 blizzard ormus for a Kira's Gaurdian. Wish I could take that back.

Thanks for the TS answer.

11. nyroc

nyroc Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Frozen Orb + Chain Lightning Sorc

I'm level seventy something an i have no points in warmth lol

"The only thing you have to fear is fear itself"
    JFK

12. EnerSense

EnerSense Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, a sorceress using Nova with a 105 fcr bp will often run out of mana as well. :)

13. nyroc

nyroc Diabloii.Net Member

I use cl and nova an I hardly ever run out if mana, even if I spam.

"The only thing you have to fear is fear itself"
    JFK