Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frost Maiden Bowazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by killian27, Mar 30, 2005.

1. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Frost Maiden Bowazon

Here is how I have my skill points planned:

Inner Sight 1
    Dodge 1
    Critical Strike 1
    Slow Missiles 1
    Avoid 1
    Pentrate 1
    Decoy 1
    Evade 1
    Valkyrie 1
    Pierce 15
    Magic Arrow 1
    Fire Arrow 1
    Cold Arrow 20
    Multiple Shot 3
    Exploding Arrow 0
    Ice Arrow 1
    Guided Arrow 10
    Immolation Arrow 0
    Strafe 1
    Freezing Arrow 20
    Total 81

Thats my base idea. Of course this is my first Amazon, and she's only at clvl 15... so I may find gaping holes in this plan later. But, before I waste too many points, anyone see any? gaping holes that is?

Str- enough for bow
    dex-lots
    vita-minimal
    en- none to minimal

The 10 points in Guided Arrow could be switched to strafe or multiple arrows once I actually get to try both of these skills.

If I play this character to level 80, plus 12 pts from quests, I still have 11 points to play with. Which would probably be more to passives, more to valk, or more to Guided arrow.

Equipment:
    Well I have a Twiththroe (sp?) and a rare bow with some nice added elemental damage that inspired me to make a bowazon. Of course, those won't take me through the game, but ill just have to work that out later.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

More points in Valkyrie...Also I think 1 point in Guided arrow is enough...the damage increase is negligible. Other than that looks fine. Maybe some more evade/dodge/avoid.

There are lots of good exeptional bows that will make decent/good endgame bows...

Witchwild String: deadly strike, +%resists and chance to cast amp...very good.

Kuko Shakaku: Piercing attack, nice fire damage...erhmm it's purple.

Riphook: slows target, open wounds, fast, life leech, decent dmg

Cliffkiller: good dmg, knockback, +2 skills, +50 life

Goldstrike Arch, Very fast, good dmg, nice attack rating bonus

All of these bows are very good and should be findable of nightmare Mephisto...if you can upgrade them they should make decent end-game bows.

3. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

I assume you're planning on using Guided Arrow as your back-up skill for cold immune monsters? This is a reasonable approach, but its cheaper (skill-wise) to just have a Kuko Shalakaklkakakau on switch. It comes with a good amount of fire damage and adds to Immolation Arrow. This alone will almost certainly be enough to deal with CIs.

Then, you can use those points you just saved and put them into Valkyrie. Valkyrie is IMO the best summonable creature out there. With my mageazon, the merc died in seconds to the hell ancients while my Valk tanked two of them solo... and also managed to get one of them down to 1/2 life. And I didn't have to recast her. Quite impressive, to say the least, and definitely worth those skill points.

I'd also put fewer points into Pierce and go put a few into Penetrate instead.

4. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Howdy. I agree with Chimaira's suggestions about Valk and mid-level bows. As for the skills, I would also recommend only 1 pt in guided, and put those points into either strafe or multi. The idea is that since FA is such a mana intensive skill, you need a skill to switch to for leeching back mana.

Strafe requires 120 IAS for 9/2, 80 for 9/3 in M'avina's bow. I recommend trying to get the 9/2 - there is 70 on the rig (30 helm, 40 bow), you can socket IAS jewels in the armor and diadem for another 30, so you need 20 more. The only way I can see to get this is either Cat's Eye or Highlord's ammy's. Of course, with every monster frozen, why not stick with the 9/3? I think that the 9/2 would be an effective counter for CI, and give you better leech. As for multi, you are already at 10 frames, and you need 19 more for 9 frame (89% IAS total) or 77% more for 8 frame (an impossibility without a Faith Merc or Fanatic about...).

The bow bps are stickied in the Amazon forum, where they also have a nice Frostmaiden guide.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

5. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

As well as what the rest have said, I think you can afford to cut back on pts into pierce depending on which bow you're using. lvl 8 gives you 66% pierce.
    You can try using a razortail for "maxed" pierce but I felt a A. mesh was better.

I think getting more points into valk is necessary, depending on your equipment. Recasting valk isn't exactly cheap and as a frost maiden, you're likely to be running low on mana all the time in tough situations.

Just some tips for equipment: you can increase the chill length of monsters from cold damage. Common items are the eye of elitch(+skills) and ravenfrost(+dex). Chill length gets cut to 1/4 in hell so you need 4 charms with 1 cold suffix for 1 sec of chill time. With raven, eye and 8 charms, I felt I have plenty of time to spare :)

6. killian27

Thanks all for the insight. I had hoped my overall strategy was on target, looks like maybe it is. After that its just a decison of what to do for CI's and leech, and since I already have 3 points in multi arrow, I think I'll go that route.

I'll definaltey look into the points to pierce, as some have pointed out. I will play it by ear as I play, that number came from build guides i read today at work.

Thanks for all the tips!

7. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

yeah, valk is a life saving investment in hell. she rarely dies. really a great distraction to have in hell. put max points in valk.

8. corax

corax IncGamers Member

dont forget a shael'd wizendraw for the -35% cold resist
    and lycander's aim for being an all-round awesome bow

9. killian27

WOW, this is a fun build. Vixon the FrostMaiden reached Act IV normal last night at clvl 32. She has absolutley smoked everything along the way, all at /players 8.

Valkyrie is an awesome creature, she is not worrysome like my merc. She stays away from me, and draws monsters to her, which of course means away from me. So far she has only died to Mephesto, well almost anyway, as I resummoned her before she actually did. No other monsters seem to phase her. She is at skill level 3 right now. Everything on my passive and magic tab is at 3 through a nifty +2 to passive and magic skills amulet I found.

I won't be using GA, multi-shot is the way to go, a real crowd pleaser.

Multi-shot 3
    Cold Arrow 13
    Freezing Arrow 3
    everything else 1

Multi-shot is so effective at 3, I don't think I'll put anymore points into it.. just whatever +skills I find along the way.. subject to change of course.

I have invested very few points into Vitality... 15 maybe. So far she has not been killed, nor been close really.. knock on wood. So... I guess I'll add more as needed... or a few here and there like I have been doing. It's so easy to just dump them all in dex though, and watch that damage go up!

All resists at 0, guess I better do something about that before Nightmare.

I only played with meelee chars before this, so I suggest her to anyone looking for something alternate to meelee... its nice to stand back and freeze the mob, never letting them get close to you.

10. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Multi (or imo strafe, I've always beenon that side of the argument) is also very effective for leeching back all the mana this build spends. You're probably chugging a lot of blues right now but once you have decent physical damage and some leech you can leech bck everything you spend by a few multis.

Also, she tends to get a bit fragile by hell so you might want to eventually store some of those points and when you get that far decide on the appropriate ammt to dump into vit. Shouldn't need to go over 100 base but how much depends on other eq and how much you rush into things.

11. killian27

She's not as bad on mana as I would have thought. I just have to make sure that a high percentage of FA or Multi shots find leechable targets. With my manald ring on, Freezing arrow is self-sufficient as long as I have a leechable target. Last thing I did last night was kill Izual... kept him stunned with Freezing arrow for quite a long time, probably 2-3 minutes... I ran out of arrows, but not mana...

I think I'll take your suggestion, and save up 30-50 points while I traverse nightmare, to use on vita as needed in hell.

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Try, if its not to hard to gets lvl 13 magic arrow (with +skills) since then it doesnt use arrows or mana, so it makes a perfect left click attack, with freezing arrow + other bow skills on right attack.
    With a good merc and valk and some points in D/E/A, you shouldnt be in that much danger, so dont add all your points to vit when you get to hell, add a few, test it, if you still feel weak, add more, id not, then dump it all in dex.

13. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Correct if I'm wrong (I haven't built my Mavazon yet) but doesn't a build like this tend to dump more points into vitality than dex? I've built a dexazon which deals physical damage and has low life. I would have thought that maybe you would stop pumping dex by 150 to 200 or so rather than pour all in to dex. Like I said I'm not positive and maybe it just comes down to preference.

Cheers

Valk is a godsend! :)

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I find that about the same dex and bvit works out good, since even though you will be using mainly freezing arrow, if you have 200 dex, thats 200% ED, which will make a difference when killing, and a big help for your strafe/MS/MA.

15. killian27

My line of thinking was that more dexterity would mean more physical damage from my weapon... which would mean more leech. Correct? Elemental damage wont leech right?

16. whomhead

I really wouldn't worry about leech so much, if I were you. Just equip silkweaves (or some other thing with +mana per kill - like Tir runes) and you'll do fine with that. The other thing is that there's nothing at all wrong with chugging a Blue pot every now and then. That's what they're there for, so you might as well use them.

I wouldn't pump dexterity too high, if I were you. In the early stages of a char you're correct that its best to pump dex and strength so that you can wear the gear you come across. However, once you get strength to ~90-100 and dex around 120-150 (basically, enough to equip the gear you want to use), I'd stop and put all the rest of your points in Vitality if I were you. Once you get FI maxed out, you will be doing massive amounts of cold damage, and wont even notice the physical damage you're dealing. Keep in mind also that you don't have to hit a monster for freezing arrow to do cold damage. You need to hit them for leech, but that's all.

Its a good idea to stop where you are with multi-shot. I found that I didn't need anything too crazy to deal with CIs since my Valk was high level and I was using a Might Merc. For now I'd invest in your primary killing skill since that's what will get you through nightmare, and then worry about CIs once you get to hell and/or have your primary and its synergies largely taken care of.

Good luck and have fun!

17. killian27

Well, I cant remember what my dexterity is right now... I know its over a hundred. I'll just save points for a while I guess... I still feel like the more physical damage the better, for CI's and leech. But thanks for the warning, i'll slow down and take a more careful look at dumping points into dex. (as im re-reading this im thinking that an extra 100% physical damage may not be as much help as that same point placement in vita...)

My next skill points will be used to max CA and FA, then on to valk probably. BTW, will the min clvl requirement for Freezing Arrow continue to increase a clvl every point i put into it? I have points saved to put on it, but as of yet I can only put a point every time I level up.

18. whomhead

The required clvl for a skill never changes, so you can't max a clvl 30 skill before level 49.

The extra physical damage can certainly help as long as you aren't dying all the time. The little extra inconvenience of having to chug a blue pot every now and then is miniscule compared that of having to recover your body every time you get hit. I always like to get as much vit as possible with most chars.

19. killian27

well yeah, I'm looking for a good balance... life and dex... anyway I appreciate your comments and see where you are coming from. Chugging blue's isnt a worry... i just dont like being in a situation where chugging is constant (which im not). Basically I like to be where I'm going to town to sell what I have found, and not going to town just to buy potions.

O, and thanks for the info on the clvl 30 skill.