Frost/Fire Zon?

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Frost/Fire Zon?

Would this work? I was wondering if a Frost/Fire zon is viable - a quick skim on a skill planner seems to show you can max the damage from both Frozen Arrow and Immolation arrow, get good penetrate and pierce with decent D/A/E.

Is there a good reason why this sucks *** and people don't make them for PvM?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Would this work? I was wondering if a Frost/Fire zon is viable - a quick skim on a skill planner seems to show you can max the damage from both Frozen Arrow and Immolation arrow, get good penetrate and pierce with decent D/A/E.

Is there a good reason why this sucks *** and people don't make them for PvM?
The entire Amazon fire tree is generally pretty sucky. Back in 1.09 these girls used to be more common (they were called Mageazons, or Vamps if they relied heavily on leech). With the newly introduced suckitude of the fire skills, Mageazons have pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Against non-CIs, Frozen Arrow will kill so much faster than Immo or Exploding. Against CIs, strafe or LFury will kill so much faster than Immo or Exploding. Against CI/PI/LIs, Plague Javelin will probably kill faster than Immo or Exploding. About the only time when Immo or Exploding arrow are the best choice is against PI/CI/LI/PoisI monsters... and even then, you could always trigger amp and strafe them to death- or if they're unbreakable PIs, then you could just use a slvl 10 Fire Arrow and kill them with the damage conversion (slvl 10 Fire Arrow = 21% of damage converted to fire).

Thanks to all of the general suck, really the only builds that make good use of the Fire Arrow skills are Paladins and Sorceresses (who can use Enchant or Holy Fire and get the Exploding Arrow to carry the fire damage on the splash).

The reason WHY Fire attacks are so weak is because of the dang timer on Immo. Freezing Arrow deals twice as much damage per shot as Exploding Arrow for a comparable mana cost (4 mana more per shot at an equal slvl), and it also freezes targets, meaning Freezing >>> Exploding. Immo will deal as much damage as Freezing, but (1) it doesn't freeze, and (2) the one second timer means you can only fire it half as often.

Fire Arrow Zons exist, but they're very few in number, and they are definitely deviants of the highest order. The best use I've ever heard anyone make of the Fire Arrow skills was getting a bow that automatically fired Exploding Arrows (such as Blood Raven's Charge) and loading up on Fire Damage charms, then using standard attack as a CI or CI/PI solution.

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member
And add to this that SSoG is known as the defender of the underused skills. If he says it's sucky, it most probably is...

By the way, if immo arrow pierces and hits more targets, does it stack fire mats in the crowd? Though I guess not even that damage would make a difference... this skill needs a buff!

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
And add to this that SSoG is known as the defender of the underused skills. If he says it's sucky, it most probably is...
Don't get me wrong- the fire arrow skills are sucky, but I've still built a 'Zon using them. I just think it's important to know what you're getting yourself into before it's too late. :laugh:

Also, yes, piercing Immo will stack fire mats, but it's generally not enough to save it from the timer.

Fuzzier

Diabloii.Net Member
If Blizzard would reduce the burning duration to 15~20 frames, and remove the cool down of Immo (so even 7 fpa will not stack more than 3 firewalls), I'll definitely try an Immo build.