Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Freyas FA guide(repost)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Freyas, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Freyas FA guide(repost)

This guide is designed to help out amazons using Freezing Arrow(FA) either as a main killing skill, or as a supplementary skill in a build. I would recommend at least one point in FA for any amazon build, simply for the ability to keep your enemies frozen while you kill them.

How FA works: FA, or Freezing Arrow, fires a single arrow which freezes and deals damage to everything within a 3.3 yard radius from where the arrow hits. The cold damage will always hit, regardless of attack rating, though the physical damage of the arrow is dependant upon your chance to hit. The physical damage is only dealt to things that are hit by the arrow itself, not spread through the blast radius. In addition, things like % chance to cast, crushing blow, open wounds, prevent monster heal, etc only are applied on things hit by the physical damage, not the splash damage. FA can trigger spell effects with % chance to cast when striking, but this is only checked when the arrow itself hits, not the splash damage.

The freezing length of FA is set at 2 seconds, and can be increased by either synergy(ice arrow) or cold damage from items. The synergy from ice arrow is pretty worthless in terms of helping FA, due to the fact that 20 points will only increase your freeze duration by 2 seconds in normal difficulty. Items with cold damage usually increase freeze duration once per cold damage modifier. The most typical way that people increase their freeze duration is by using small charms. Each cold damage small charm will increase your freeze duration by one second, though some, such as a "snowy small charm of the glacier" increasing freeze duration by two seconds since it has two cold damage modifiers. Many uniques have longer bonuses to freeze duration that are hidden. Here are some of the freeze durations for commonly used items:

Eye of Etlich: 2-10 seconds(randomly chosen when it drops)
    Ravenfrost: 4 seconds
    Vampiregaze: 4 seconds
    Buriza: 8 seconds

Freeze length is reduced to 1/2 in Nightmare difficulty, and 1/4 in Hell difficulty, so with a freeze length of 8 seconds, you'll freeze normal monsters for 8 seconds, nightmare monsters for 4 seconds, and hell monsters for 2 seconds. Monsters with a high cold resist also have reduced freeze duration, so you will not freeze everything for the same amount of time, and things don't always stay frozen as long as your freeze duration would indicate. In addition, some things cannot be frozen, such as cold immunes, some frenzytaurs in hell difficulty, and the defilers in the worldstone keep come to mind, though there may be others that I can't think of.

Cold damage from equipment and charms is spread with the blast damage of freezing arrow, though physical, fire, lightning, and poison damage are not.

There are two ways to sustain firing FA: either mana leech(vampiric), or mana regen(mageazon). Which of these you choose will affect both your skill and equipment selection, so I'll try and cover both here.

Equipment guidelines:

Vamp: High damage, fast bow. I would recommend getting at least an 8 frame attack, though a 9 frame will work fine as well. You'll want probably 15-20% mana leech at least to maintain your mana. Good bows here would be Lycanders, upgraded WWS, or anything with bigger damage(elites, etc). If you have less, a reasonable mana pool will let you get by just using potions, which you'll have to do with skeletons and physical immunes anyhow.
    The rest of your gear should include good resists, IAS, +skills, and +life.

Mage: lots of mana, and +mana regen stuff helps out as well. Your bow is less important: this might be a good route to go with a wizendraw for the -resists, or else any bow with lots of +skills. Good gear you'd probably want for this build would be soj's, frosties, silkweaves, glooms trap, and pretty much anything else with a lot of +mana. Get enough mana through these and points in energy until you can cast FA nonstop, or pretty close to it. The advantage here is that it's pretty easy to rack up +skills along with the mana, boosting your damage nicely. The downside is that you'll have poor physical damage, requiring you to depend on your minions to deal with cold immunes.

Possible skill point distributions
    Vamp build with strafe:
    bow tree
    20 cold arrow
    20 freezing arrow
    1(or 20) strafe

passive tree
    17 valk(after +skills), more points can be put here if you want
    10 or so penetrate, enough to get a good chance to hit
    enough d/a/e to get you good evasion skills
    ~10ish critical strike after +skills

One thing pointed out by Kirsty is that you can make up for a low attack rating using inner sight. This could ease up attack rating difficulties, though you'll need it up to level 20-30 to be effective in hell. This would relieve the need for points in penetrate, and might be a good alternative for builds with lower dex, such as a hardcore player who will often choose to pump vitality instead.

Mageazon build:
    bow tree:
    10cold arrow
    20 freezing arrow
    10 fire/immo arrow
    20 exploding arrow

passive tree
    17 valk(after +skills)
    d/a/e to where you are comfortable

stats for both:
    str: enough for equipment
    dex: extra points for a vamp go here, mage: just enough for equipment
    vit: as much as possible, I wouldn't recommend any less than 100
    nrg: vamp: enough to have a decent mana pool for non-leechable things
    mage: as much as you need to keep up with casting FA

FA provides it's own fairly large attack rating bonus, so hitting with it shouldn't be too difficult. However, if you are using a physical attack skill as well, you'll want to use either penetrate or inner sight. At high levels, inner sight can give you a good chance to hit even with a low dex build, while a medium level of inner sight can stack with a decent attack rating to give you a nice boost in your chance to hit.

Some players may want to invest more into passives, which will take skill points that may be hard to spare. If you take points from the FA/CA combo, you'd want to sacrifice a few points in cold arrow to put here. In a FA strafe build, I'd actually recommend going with a lower level of strafe rather than weakening your freezing arrow, however. With a mageazon, cutting fire or cold synergies to slightly lower levels will free you up some skill points for the passive tree as well.

The three most important things for FA damage are: +skills, pierce, IAS. The freezing damage on FA goes up majorly as you get more +skills, though this benefit can be outshone by the other two. Pierce is essential. Hitting 5 things with an FA that doesn't pierce will kill things slowly with a good FA. Just piercing and hitting a second thing will hit those 5 monsters twice per FA, doubling your damage to all 5 things. As you get bigger groups with more hits and more things in the splash radius, pierce gets even better. IAS is also important, mainly by looking at how much you need to hit a certain breakpoint. I'd recommend 8 or 9 depending on the speed of your bow, and how much more IAS you need to bring it to the next breakpoint.

Equipment that I'd strongly suggest:

razortail: 33% pierce can easily give you max pierce with just a few(8-9 after +skills gives you 98% and 100% respectively) points in pierce. If you use a bow that gives piercing attack(i.e. Kuko) then you won't need this. If you don't want to use this belt or can't get one, then I'd recommend maxing pierce, or at least investing as many points as possible.

eye of etlich: This amulet looks kinda mediocre compared to some of the alternatives, and can be outshone by some, but the great benefit of it for this build is hidden. A good eye of etlich will give you a very nice boost to your freeze length(2-10 seconds), and the leech and +skills are added gravy. A nice +skills amulet with resists and other good stats could be better, but an eye of etlich is hard to beat.

ravenfrost: Gives cannot be frozen, a lot of cold damage added to your FA, and 4 seconds increased freeze duration. The attack rating and dex will also really help out for a vamp build.

For your final outfit, you should make sure that you have the needed IAS for whatever breakpoint you decide on. Try and either use razortail or a bow with piercing attack to get your overall pierce to 100%. After this, try and get good resists, good +skills, and either lots of mana leech or lots of +mana/mana regen.

Skills to compliment FA:

Strafe/Multi: Both of these skills work pretty well in 1.10, though you need a good bow. If you're using a vamp mageazon build, either of these should work for killing cold immunes. I personally like strafe, since 1 point with +skills should take you up to a full max compliment of arrows, and you'll get guided as a prereq which should do fine on single targets. With your high mana leech for FA, the mana cost on a level 1 guided shouldn't cause many problems. Multi requires a few more skill points, though it should work fine around level 8-10 for what you'd need for this build. You'd still need to have a different option like guided for single targets.

Exploding/Immo arrow: You probably won't have enough skill points to do much in synergizing the fire skills as well as the cold ones, but if you are building a mageazon, these can work okay with your leftover skill points so you can help out your valk/merc kill cold immune things. With +skills, and especially if you have a kuko as your main weapon or on switch, you should be able to deal pretty decent fire damage to cold immune things. These skills can still be effective with a 10/10/20 or 10/20/10 skill distribution between fire/exploding/immo arrow skills, depending on if you want to use immo or exploding arrow as your main attack. I haven't played around too much with these skills, so you may find better recommendations elsewhere for skill allocations here.

Valkyrie: A high level valkyrie is very useful, both as a target for monsters to swarm, as well as an aid for boss killing and cold immune monsters. Two skill levels to aim for in a valk are level 8 where she gains a lance, and level 17 where she gets a war pike. FA should be able to keep your valkyrie alive nicely except against swarms of cold-immunes or nasty boss packs. However, these are the situations where you really need a good tank, so I would recommend putting as many points here as you can afford. However, at around level 17, she should be able to live through most anything, and even in really nasty situations, give you some time to attack before having to recast her

Tactics:
    Make use of your decoy. Use her to scout, break up nasty crowds, or even block doorways. Your decoy should help keep your merc and valk alive, and when you use her to scout, you can see what's coming up, and everything tends to clump up around your decoy, crowding them together so that you hit lots of things with your FA splashes.

Try and get things in small to medium sized crowds, or lined up in a tight space. FA won't hit everything if you have too large of crowds, leaving things free to swarm around in front of who you have frozen, and free to attack you or your minions. On the other hand, without lots of monsters, FA loses its biggest advantages. FA works best when you have lots of things really close together, so you pierce and hit more things, and the splash damage hits a lot of enemies every time you pierce. It can actually be worthwhile to let things unfreeze for a minute to let them group up if you have a group that's loosely packed or with lots of stragglers.

Probable problem spots for playing solo(hell difficulty):
    Early act1: LOTS of cold immunes, the worst are probably the rogues with their speed. The archers are extremely dangerous, and some can be immune to cold(depending on which area they are in).

Act3 Jungles: most people probably won't be affected here, since everybody skips it, and it really depends on what spawns. However, the melee flayers are cold immune, and the bramble hulks are cold immune, and boss packs can usually tear apart your merc and valk quickly once they get frenzied up.

Act5: mostly indoor areas- depends on what spawns. Gloams are always dangerous, especially with bowazons who can have problems getting max resists without a shield. Frenzytaurs are also a big danger, having cannot be frozen, and huge damage to take out your minions. The ice caves tend to have a lot of cold immunes in them, so you might not want to linger too much there.

Many amazons are looking for builds for pit-running, which this build will work for. FA is useful in the pit, though there are several monsters that will spawn cold immune there, so you'll need a second type of damage as well. The most effective skill I've found there to combine with FA is strafe, which is very effective on it's own there. Often, FA will be used as a skill in fighting outside the pit and leveling, while people use strafe inside the pit. However, the biggest danger in the pit is the rogue archers, who are not cold immune, and freezing them in place can be quite helpful when doing pit runs.

2. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Here's some equipment recommendations, though I'm probably missing a lot of useful stuff....

Equipment(in no particular order):

Bow:
    Wizendraw- good for a mageazon using cold skills due to the -enemy resistances
    Kuko Shakaku- +skills, fast firing rate, piercing
    Magewrath- huge mana leech, pretty good damage
    Lycanders- good +skills, decent damage, mana leech
    Buriza- high damage for leech, increased freeze duration, and 100% piercing
    Pus Spitter- not so great, but could be okay when lower resist triggers
    Blood Ravens Charge- fast, and has a very healthy bonus to attack rating

High damage, fast attack speed magics/rares

Any other high-damage or fast bow would work, Eaglehorn/Widowmaker might be nice due to the ITD, but even for a vampiric build, the bow damage is only needed for leeching- it would be better to use a fast bow and attack at 7-8 frames, rather than use a windforce and attack at 9-10. The only problem with Buriza is that the fastest attack speed it can attain is 11 frames, as the mods on it seem to be nearly ideal for an FA build.

Armor:
    Silks of the Victor- +skills, mana leech
    Skin of the Vipermagi- +skills, resistances
    Duriels Shell- cannot be frozen, resists, +life -- I'd recommend this mainly if you don't have another source of cannot be frozen
    Skulders Ire- +skills, MF

Headgear:
    Rockstopper- nice for resists and damage reduced
    Stealskull- dual leech, MF, IAS
    Vampiregaze- dual leech, damage reduced, cold damage and duration
    Valkyrie Wing- +skills
    Harlequin Crest- +skills, life and mana, MF
    Nightwings Veil- +skills, +8-15% cold skill damage, some cold absorb
    Tal's Mask- 10% dual leech, resistances

Gloves:
    Frostburns- +mana, cold duration
    Laying of Hands-- can be nice for resists, IAS, and damage versus demons
    --In all actuality, I'd recommend trying for some rare/crafted gloves with some of the following: +bow skills, IAS, mana leech, resists

Belts:
    Goldwrap- good for the 10% ias if it's needed
    razortail- if you don't have piercing from a bow, then this belt will really help
    Orphans belt- Dual leech
    Nosferatu's Coil- ias, life leech

Boots:
    Again, nothing really stands out here- Aldurs Advance would be good for run/walk and life, natalya's set boots are also good, and add more resistances. War travellers could be nice, rares with run/walk and resistances are also good.

Jewelry:
    ravenfrost: adds a nice amount of cold damage and duration, cannot be frozen, attack rating and dex to help deal physical damage.
    Stone of Jordan: +skills, +mana- good for a mageazon especially
    Manald Heal: mana leech

Eye of Etlich- cold duration, +skills
    Cat's Eye- attack speed
    Crescent Moon- leech and +mana
    Highlords- +skills, IAS
    Mara's- +skills, resists

I tend to prefer using rare jewelry, since you can usually find/gamble rares that have great mods. +skills, leech, and resists are very nice, and are not too difficult to get on rare rings/amulets(+skills on amulets only).

Another nice option for a FA build is to use the M'avina's set, which has some nice mods for this type of amazon. The gloves give +20% FA damage, a lot of cold damage, and a 10 second freeze bonus when you have the complete set on. The set comes with a good amount of +skills, resistances, and some other nice bonuses, but doesn't have too much IAS(can get to 9 frames with a cats eye, though). It also doesn't have anything to increase your piercing percentage, so you can't get your pierce to 100%. You can probably get better with the right collection of uniques/sets, but overall, I'd say this set would work good for FA.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with a lot of the rare items, so I've tried to keep the items here within a reasonable persons range. When you choose your gear, aim for enough IAS to reach a breakpoint of your choosing with whatever weapon you choose. You can find the breakpoints in the amazon FAQ, or the stickied thread if they ever get it back.

Also, try and get 100% pierce, either through using a bow, or with razortail. With razortail and most of the piercing bows, you will have to put some points into pierce, Buriza has 100% piercing on it, Kuko has 50%, and razortail has 33%. Razortail takes 8 points in pierce after +skills to reach 98% piercing, and 9 to reach 100%. Kuko should reach 100% with just one point and a couple +skills, and if you intend to use Buriza, you don't need to spend any points.

Getting equipment to add +skills will also greatly help your damage, as the cold damage from FA goes up greatly after level 20.

I'd recommend aiming for decent resists, at least positive lighting/cold/fire in hell difficulty, and higher if possible. However, this is all dependant upon personal preference/play style, and whether or not you play hardcore.

For a vamp build, you'll probably need to include 10-20 mana leech minimum to keep up with a level 20 FA, mostly depending on the damage of your bow.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful in choosing your equipment. As I mentioned, I haven't played around much with lots of the rare items, so I haven't included too many in here. It is easy to make a very successful FA build using the equipment in this guide. I'm sure that some of the new runewords would be quite helpful as well, but I'm not rich, and haven't made any of the new runewords(though I'm looking for a nice weapon to put a crescent moon in). Thus, I can't really evaluate how good these are, though if you can put one together, I'm sure that you could easily incorporate them into the build.

I would also like to thank Aristanna for saving this guide - I forgot to copy it to my computer, so it would have been lost without her help when the origional thread got corrupted.

3. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

One more thing- even if you can't put the whole set together, Mavina's gloves come with a partial set bonus that gives 131-252 cold damage with a 4 second cold duration, and the gloves themselves come with a 6 second cold duration, so if you get enough of the set together, you can easily have a couple hundred cold damage added to your FA splash, and get an additional 10 second cold duration, freezing things for an extra 2.5 seconds in hell.

4. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

I have a full 1.09 Mav set, and I see the 6-18 cold damage on the gloves, which gives 6 seconds of cold duration like you said. But how do you get the partial set bonus of 131-252 and 4 more seconds? How many pieces do you have to be wearing to get that? Is it hidden, because I don't see that bonus cold damage listed anywhere. And do they have to be from 1.10, or will the old pieces work?

Also, you said this would add damage to the FA splash. Is that true for any form of cold damage, such as cold charms, Vamp Gaze, etc? Do all cold sources go towards the splash, or are some on the arrow impact only?

5. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Partial set bonuses were added to all of the class-specific sets in 1.10. Unforutunately, you have to find the 1.10 versions of these items to get the bonuses. I think the only piece that has to be from 1.10 to get the bonus is the gloves, though- I'm pretty sure you can use the 1.09 items for the other pieces and still get the partial set bonus(though some of the other partial set bonuses are kinda nice too). According to Arreat Summit, it looks like 4 set items are needed for the bonus on the gloves. I had looked at the diabloii.net 1.10 sets page and they said two, but I'd tend to regard the information from arreat summit more reliable.

All cold damage from gear and charms is distributed with the splash damage from FA. Other elemental and physical damage is only carried along on the arrow itself, though, and isn't spread with the splash damage.

6. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Sorry for asking something that you had already included in the guide (which I just realized).
    I asked about the partial set bonus because the extra cold damage is not mentioned at all here. Maybe I should always go to the Arreat Summit from now on to make sure the info I get is correct.

7. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Yeah- the diabloii.net items haven't all been updated: specifically the changes to the class-specific sets. They had a page up for 1.10 items before the patch was released that contained some of these changes, which is here. However, this page isn't entirely consistant with the arreat summit, so to get the right information, it might be best to double check items there.

8. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

how does this look

92 skills (lvl 81)

20 FA (26 w/ skills)
    20 CA (26 w/ skills)
    7 Dodge (14 w/ skills)
    9 Avoid (16 w/ skills)
    7 Evade (14 w/ skills)
    1 Crit Strike (8 w/ skills)
    1 Penetrate (8 w/ skills)
    1 Slow Missles (8 w/ skills)
    1 Inner Sight (8 w/ skills)
    5 Decoy (12 w/ skills)
    12 Valk (19 w/ skills)
    8 IA or GA (14 w/ Skills)

I'll be using full Mav's (trying to complete all 7 sets + BK + Disciple), Eye of Etlcitch or a crafted ammy i have, 1 raven, water walks and then a combonation of jewelery//sockets (amn, sheal,cats eye,manald, rare rings) to get a decent amout of leech

I will put Widow Maker on switch for areas of cold immunes

Do Rainbow Facets have much effect as I see it i have a few options

1. Sheal bow, Crescent Moon, LL ring, 2x Rainbow Facet
    2. Amn bow, Cats eye, ML ring, 2x Rainbow Facet
    3. Amn bow, +1 skill//4 LL resist ammy, 2x 15 ias jewels, LL ring

WHat whould you suggest?

9. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

The main problem I can see with your build is that you have no source of piercing whatsoever. I'd recommend investing enough points here to get up to around 16 points in pierce after +skills, after which point, additional points in pierce will get you 0-1% chance to pierce. You can probably take these points off of dodge/avoid/evade, who are well into diminishing returns at levels 14/16/14. If you take these down to 11/13/11 after +skills, you'll save 9 skill points and only lose 5% in each of the categories. With +7 passives, this would take you up to a level 16 pierce. If you want higher %'s for your evasion skills, I'd recommend dropping your evade, and boosting the other two, since you shouldn't get hit too much when running.

One more thing I might suggest about your skill allocation would be to either invest a couple more points in multishot or put a point in strafe in order to have a skill that will target multiple monsters when you are facing cold immunes or things that cannot be frozen. 1 point in strafe with +6 skills will let you hit 10 targets, while you can do pretty good with about 10 points after +skills with multishot. You could probably get by with shaving a couple of points off of the rest of your passives if you need for this, but it will be slow killing groups of cold immunes with guided arrow. A level 8 multishot after +skills might work, but you may want to think of investing a couple more points to speed things up.

A rainbow facet can give you 5% increased cold skill damage and -5% enemy cold resist. With 1k average cold splash damage(less than you'll have with M'avina's, but easier to calculate), you will gain 50 damage to your FA. This isn't calculating the difference in resists, which will boost your damage as well. Doing 1050 damage against a 50% resistant monster, you'll come out with 525 damage, while if their resistance is reduced to 45%, you'll come out with 577 damage, an increase of about 10%. Cold Facet jewels will make a significant increase in the damage your FA does. However, it may be more useful to use these slots for other things, as you should be doing great damage with FA already.

With the options you have listed, I'd probably recommend going with the first option, and possibly substitute out the LL ring for a manald if you have difficulties maintaining your mana pool. If you could manage to gamble a dual leech ring, this would work great too.

One other option might be to use a 15% ias jewel in either your helm or armor as well as a shael in your widowmaker to bring that down to a 9 frame attack as well(63 ias: 30 from diadem, 20 from shael, 15 from jewel). However, this extra IAS wouldn't affect your firing rate using M'avina's bow, which has breakpoints at 89 and 120. With your setup with option 1, you'd have 90(40 bow, 30 diadem, 20 shael), and an extra 15 wouldn't help you reach the 9/2 breakpoint, though that breakpoint won't affect you if you go with multishot. Using a cats eye ammy, you'd have 70 IAS with a shaeled widowmaker, giving you a 9 frame attack, and 90 with M'avina's equipped, also giving you a 9 frame attack. The only difficulty I see with this option is the possible problem with mana leech, with only mav's belt and one ring to provide you with mana leech. Option 3 will give you 9 frame attacks with both bows as well, but you're pretty short on mana leech- you could use this option, though having mana leech on either/both your amulet and ring slot if necessary. Your FA damage will be lower without the rainbow facets, but should still kill efficiently.

10. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

For FA bows I think you missed this as an option Melody, Matrional Bow (Lower Requirement and faster attack speed) That can be potentially +6 Bow and Crossbow skills. I'm not sure if that's more damage than -35% from a perfect Wizendrawn. Even though its not much damage, ML would have been nice.

Level 20 Damage: Cold Damage: 1054-1088

Level 26 Damage: Cold Damage: 1489-1523

That's 460 more cold damage from your skill, that's quite a bit. While IAS is important much like faster cast rate. I think that many elemental archers forget the bonus they get from +skills.

But with this you might need to use a weaponswitch for a weapon that can do physical damage, for some of your leaching. You also might be looking more at a Magezon build, concentrating on sources of mana regeneration and a larger mana pool.

Melody 3 Socket Missile Weapons Shael + Ko + Nef +50% Enhanced Damage
    +300% Damage To Undead
    +3 To Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +3 To Critical Strike (Amazon Only)
    +3 To Dodge (Amazon Only)
    +3 To Slow Missiles (Amazon Only)
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +10 To Dexterity
    Knockback

11. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Everyone for gets about MELODY Matriarchal Bow, that already has +3 Bow and Crossbow skills on it. That will give you a total of +6 Bow and Crossbow skills. This will add up to roughly 500 more damage. That may be more useful than the -35% Cold Resist from a perfect Wizendraw. This would require a different bow on Weapon Switch for physical damage, some more IAS. But would allow for a build based more around +Skills.

This is a fairly cheap weapon, but still a good one.

12. Dark-LYNX

Dark-LYNX IncGamers Member

Cool guide Freyas! :thumbsup:

13. sloven

sloven IncGamers Member

how about hell cow run?
    even in one player game

14. D'Shay

D'Shay IncGamers Member

how come I do not see WindForce suggest here?
    just curious

15. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Are +to freeze lengths added to the FA explosion. Say if someone was wearing IceBlink would the Freeze length on be added to the FA explosion?

I was thinking to myself if that holds true then the HoJ would be nice on a bow... then I thought a little bit about it and realized it's not the HoJ it's the Cham rune that's important :lol:.

16. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Yes, freeze length will increase your freeze duration from your FA explosion.... The freezes target on buriza, iceblink, cham rune, or Arctic set will increase the amount of time that monsters stay frozen just like cold damage sources(like charms). A HoJ will increase your freeze duration. However, if that's the only reason that you'd be using the bow, you might just look into getting some dual-modded cold damage small charms to increase the duration. Of course, HoJ has some other nice mods which would make a nice bow, but the increase of your freeze duration will only be 3 seconds from the bow.

17. royalesse

I heard Cham was calculated like Ice blink:

Iceblink: Ice Blink has a 13-50% Chance to work. Ice Blink works with Ranged Weapons. This is not displayed on the item.
    Freeze Time in seconds = (100 + CharacterLevel*2)/25
    The minimum Freeze Duration (at Character Level 1) would be 4.08 seconds, and maximum (at level 99) would be 11.92 seconds. Freeze Length is reduced to 1/2 and 1/4 on Nightmare and Hell.

only times three since it's +3 to freeze. Of course I could have mis-interpreted if they meant 3 times more likely or I've been fed misleading information on these forums before.

18. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

I'm not all that positive- I might look into doing some tests on how hit freezes target things work with FA. I know the formulas you are using apply for if the cham/iceblink freezes the target, but I'm not positive on how that affects the freeze duration from FA. I'll see what I can do for testing this out in single player and post my results.

19. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Thinking about the Melody Matriachal bow, I came up with the following idea for gears:

Full Disciple's set
    Melody mat's bow(+6 bow skill) // lycanders on switch
    Andy's visage
    Raven Frost
    Dual leech ring
    Anni, and an all resist Gc
    cold dmg charms and light resist charms

Reasons :
    1. Mat's bow needs 45% IAS to have 9 frame attack. With this setup it gives 60%.
    2. Can easily get all positive resistances, especially poison and fire, even with andy's visage. Lacks light resist somehow and needs charms to complement that.
    3. +6 to all skills, particularly +12 to bow skills, even without any skill charms.
    4. Lycanders : on switch to have mana leech.
    5. Disciples will give +100 to mana.

Just my idea. I haven't really played a FA zon before, so I might lack some important points here. I.e., I think i'll have some mana problems.

20. royalesse

Have you looked at some of the old Magezon guides? Just wondering... I'd think about a fast piercing bow/xbow over a high damage bow or a +skills bow. Haven't run the numbers yet... will probably post them up later.