Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frenzy weapons for pvm + UT

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by zahtar, Sep 5, 2010.

1. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

Frenzy weapons for pvm + UT

hello all :)

I am building a frenzy barb, and trying to decide among the weapons. Currently (lvl80) using grief pb + lawbringer pb, and i see they dont exactly do wonders in general pvm, so I doubt they will be enough in UT. Spankeh's guide indicated they will, so I must be doing something wrong...

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540653

Anyway I am going for the life tap option I guess (when in UT) and was thinking of choosing botd + death initially in phase blades, to reach easily the 5fpa breakpoint and to avoid repair costs. I am having second thoughts on that, an thinking of making griefPB + EdeathCS at the 5.5fpa breakpoint.

Outfit:

arreat 196/6 (planning socket 15ias jewel)
    highlord or metalgrid
    fortitude with prebuff fade from a treachery (currently using ebug prudence)
    draculs (currently loh)
    string of ears or norsferatu (depends in weapons and ias breakpoints)
    natalya boots (or 3-res or goreriders)
    ravenfrost + rare AR,str,ll,[email protected]

Weapons:
    currently: grief pb + lawbringer pb
    planning for (botd + death) or (grief + death)

I am mainly interested in ubering with this barb. Please share your opinions on RuneWord choices, base weapon, and maybe some changes in the total outfit.

Thnx in advance :)

2. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

Re: Frenzy weapons for pvm + UT

My favourite weapon for UT was Azure. It helps a lot vs mages and vampires. Anyway I always open portal in solo game then damage could be lower then in game with 8 players.

I've triedaxes EBOTD + LW or Beast + LW and it wass big mistake. Multiple auras + courses colapsed game very often. With swords I've used Grief + death or even Oath and Azure. I've found Azure most comfortable. Maybe I must hit Ubers few times more then with high damage weapons, but it was much more easy and "comfortable". Skelies and vampires did not disturb me.
    As a armor best choice is always CoH (ED is usually the same as Forti - damage vs demons + str). Guiliame + Gores had enough CB. Draculs as a life tap source.

BTW my cheapest Uber barb was made with maces Black + Passion, Lionheart armor, Marrows as a Life Tap source - It was hard but possible ;)

3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

LW + Grief is pretty much the ultimate cheese. (IN PB's)
    EBOTD + EDEATH is much stronger though. (IN AXES)

Always go gores for boots, drac's are used for ubers and LOH for general pvm.

Azure is always fun to use :)

4. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

thnx for your reply shuy

Azurewrath looks nice indeed :) ias, lots of non physical dmg, sactuary and no conflict with life tap ;)

By doing this though, you need to use guillaume + gores to get 50%cb. so what happens to your resists? arreat fact gives [email protected] +2skills to natural resists. do you prebuff fade with a treachery?

where are your resists with mephs coviction?

on the papers, when using death i'll get the same cb (50%), and more dmg. off hand weapon so no extra ias should be needed. And i'll get to use arreat, and 3res boots, or gores to get 75%cb.

how does this sound? very curious about your resists.

thnx in advance :)

EDIT:
    hello nurman :) wouldn't the pb limit the LW damage potential? initially planned to do all in pb, but this thing made me wonder...

EDIT2:

on second thought about the gores, LW + death gives 110%+ cb, prevent monster heal, so 10%open wounds + 15% deadly strike are so important? ok, deadly strike can be, but ow? i will have prevent monster heal. so? thnx again :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

The grief takes care of all your damage problems, LW is there for the gravy mods like Might, the CB and the LT. PB is there because of 2 reasons. First are the massive repair costs and second is the fact that if it is in a CB, the fact that it has a range of 2, will make your main-hand grief pb miss hits.

Also, death & lw both make a great offhand weapons, but they suck together.

Also, the reason why dual CB's suck is that first of all, pb has the -30 ias and grief has the minimum of 30ias. That and the fact that Frenzy only checks your main hand for the ias.

6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

PMH does not affect the ubers. You need poison damage or open wounds.

7. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

wow, if i combine weapons with different rangeadder, I miss hits? that sucks! totally! thnx for the most useful heads up!!!!

Initially my plan was botd pb + death pb, but since both give indestructible, I thought I could benefit from the extra dmg of

eth botd cb + eth death cs

this way, 60%ias form botd and 20% from higlord, will get me to 5.5fpa, and no reapair costs. btw, what about the cube recipe? it takes an ort to totally repair a weapon. Do they break that fast?

Plan b:

Grief pb + death pb

I already got a grief pb (35% ias) so if i combine it with a death pb will it be enough for the ubers? And I do hit the last ias breakpoint with dual pbs ;)

8. derley

derley IncGamers Member

Death and Beast Berserker Axes reaches max Frenzy BP alone (lvl9 fana aura on beast)
    Your gear is enough for UT anyway, but dont forget Fade prebuff

9. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

I have not character for ubers in this ladder then I do not remember all my equip (rings amu etc)
    CoH gives you 65 @res + fade + natural resist + torch (can be random) + charms, rings, amu. Enough for survive conviction.
    IAS breakpoints looks great when you count it, but either IAS, damage and CB% do not really affect time of combat. IMO it is not a big difference if I do UT within 3 mins 25 sec or 4 and half minutes ;)
    Sanctuary knockback undead and break physic immune vampires. They were most irritating in UT.

10. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

I am interested in azurewrath cause it gives sanctuary and still lets me use life tap. So what combo would you suggest? (all in phase blades)

a) Grief + azurewrath
    b) Botd + azurewrath

have you tried

c) kingslayer + azurewrath?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  11. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I hate beast because it breaks in around 3 minutes.

To be honest, the Ebotd + Edeath is an unbeatable combo.

12. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

BOTD + azure was the best combo as I remember. I'm not sure about kingslayer. I think I used Kingslayer with Oath as my first, cheap weapons which I could get. That was hard, but I think because rest of equip was crappy (I think I have Lionheart armor instead of CoH)

To be honest - difference is not visible during random UT run. If you open 20 UT with different weapons you will see difference. Single run with Kingslayer and Passion sometimes can be faster then with BOTD and Death.

If you are going to buy many organsets and open UT few times per day you should choose best weapon.
    If you are going fight Ubers once per week stop counting damage, IAS and CB %. Just prepare full rejuvenation potions and do it.

Finally you will find AR as a most problem :))))

13. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Ofc you could always just make a smiter for ubers :)

14. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

Smiter is faster, but "fragile". Barb "Die hard" and fight slow, palladin can kill ubers very fast but die sometimes.
    Moreover everyone use smiter. Frenzier is more unusual... I think this ladder I make werewolf - more unusual then barb ;)

15. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

Right now, I think my first entrance will be with griefpb+deathpb. got verdungo, making coh, waiting to trade the draculs. Thing is that i am lvl 82. 220 dex, 8400/9000 AR. Will this be enough for baal?

I already have a fanat zealot* to hunt dclone, but wanted the barb for his brutality!!! Right now, from things I read, I am most likely to kill meph + diablo with the barb and rejoin with the pala to smite baal down :doh:

*lvl 81 res about [email protected] in hell, so hopeless against Umeph.

As I see from your suggestions, botd is probably the best main weapon. So maybe eventually i'll try botd+death or botd+azure. And shuy, you are TOTALLY right. I am going to run UT ever now and then, so maybe I should stop wondering that hard ;)

EDIT: would a metalgrid help the Baal situation?

16. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I had a decked out a barbarian and still he was more fragile than my cheap smiter. Maybe it's just me ;)

17. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

[email protected] is ok - you must only prepare some spare potions. Sometimes Draculs don't want cooperate and LT never apears, but if it casted you survive all atacks.
    It is random game and once you kill them all within 1 minute and next time you die twice per Uber.

AR always is too low but at least always is sufficient ;)
    Do not forget about 1 pt in leap. Easy to get boss and knockback minions.

This is the proof, that the best Uber killer is ... your favourite character ;)

18. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

I meant total [email protected], without Umeoh conviction. Last ladder i had a similar setup with guradian angel and around [email protected] (again without conviction), baal and diablo went down like toys, and umeph owned me bad! This ladder, having the char a little weaker, i tried a couple of runs with another member, but again no result. He knew his way around, but it was my second time entering :whistling:

Apart from leap i'll be using howl a lot. it makes a huge difference in general pvm so far.

and i am thinking of entering before lvl 85, even though as i read i'll have very little chance to hit baal...

19. shuy

shuy IncGamers Member

Try solo, with support smiter waiting for whisp, in case of problem.
    Most important res is ligtning. Use TGod and charms.

As you seen above (nurman post) it is possible that barb is not your style.

20. zahtar

zahtar IncGamers Member

well I am enjoying the frenzy barb very much so far. I admit it, last ladder that paladin (max zeal+fanat, 1pt smite) was my safe choice. But now i feel like trying something else.

and a total noobie question: are we unable to cast tp when it UT? i think i did once, but last time when i went to help a friend with my pala, I think I couldn't. "not here, not in town". True or bug?? thnx again!