Frenzy vs. Berserk for relatively untwinked damage outputif

HumptyDumpty

Diabloii.Net Member
Frenzy vs. Berserk for relatively untwinked damage output

Hi guys! :wink:

I have brought out a very old barbarian to do some magic find runs at players 8 in SP.

He's level 85, just where I left him years ago.

However, I'm finding that my pit runs at players 8 (heck even at players 1) are quite slow. I'm barely doing any damage (shows something like 2K in the character window, per weapon).

I'm spec'd max frenzy right now with maxed synergies (except berserk of course) and max mace mastery.

My weapons are Baranar's Star and Demon Limb. Best I've found in the maces other than a Dangoon's Teaching and Horizon's Tornado which did not look superior to the above.

I have a might merc.

I have 45% off-weapon IAS.

I found a Bonehew and it made me ponder if I could be doing a lot more damage to perhaps tackle players 8 more effectively. Since frenzy would not work with a 2-hander, I'd have to switch to Berserk or something. Would that do a lot more damage than my present setup?

Thanks for your opinion!

HumptyDumpty

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Frenzy vs. Berserk for relatively untwinked damage output

Thanks Albatross, I will read the thread. The only runes over 30 I have found with quite a bit of looking are 1x Dol, 1x Io, 3x Lum, 2x Lem, 1x Mal, and 1x Vex. The Countess is not hard so I've run her a few times.

Right now I am looking for essences to re-spec. (I have beaten the game in Hell several times since 1.10, but just in players 1, hoping to improve my SP players 8 performance.)

I also found a Fleshripper. It looks interesting. No matching mastery though, and I only have one so not sure what to use with it.

Still wondering if the berserk option with a hurty 2 hander would be better for clearing the pits and ancient tunnels, etc.

HumptyDumpty

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I read the suggested thread, but I think the only mace that can have 4 sockets for Oath is a scourge. I don't have a scourge, and I'm a little bit short on the runes for Oath anyway. I might be able to get the runes together though for one lawbringer. Big upgrade over Horizon's, Baranar's, Demon Limb?

Still hoping for some information regarding thread title, Frenzy vs. Berserk for overall damage. As mentioned, I have a Bonehew ....and two Shael runes. I just need to know if it would really be worth it. :)

mir

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm no expert, but I think that berserk will be better for mf runs. You need the boss anyway so you can use howl on minions, and berserk is better in 1vs1 for untwinked char

HumptyDumpty

Diabloii.Net Member

I decided to try it out. Since I'm on SP, there is a cheesy way to just try out various builds without killing the act bosses hundreds of times for the essence drops. Basically, I have a backup program that backs up my files every day and allows reverting to any past version. So, I just muled off all my gear and reverted the save file to before I used my hell respec. I then threw away the gear from the save and moved my current items back on to avoid any duplicates.

So far, berserk will take a little bit more skill to play, but might be a tad safer and more efficient overall due to the crowd control skills that come along with it (fear and AE stun). The damage does seem a bit better overall too, making players 8 not seem so slow. However, I am quite vulnerable unless I time the stuns just so. And, of course, any mana draining named shut me down right away, I suppose all I can do is fear their minions away and then deal with them mono-a-mono as best I can.

I can easily revert back to frenzy and am still undecided. If I had a second Fleshripper, I might be tempted to try that too. I did try the one I have with my Baranar's Star, but was not overly impressed - it was decent though, as are all of the elite uniques I mentioned above.

pickadyp

Diabloii.Net Member

The main drawback with Berserk is that you can't leech, since it deals magic damage. You mentioned you were Frenzy and didn't have any points in Berserk as a synergy. Many people overlook this. The +magic damage from ~10 points in Berserk makes Frenzy a lot better in my opinion. Physical immunes are no longer a problem and you can still leech since the majority of your damage will still be physical damage. If you are running ancients tunnels its a different story, since you cant leech off the undead anyways. I've also never liked the fact that Berserk drops your defense to zero. In my opinion Berserk was good for two things--Iron Maiden and physical immunes. Since Blizzard decided to nerf the heck out of the game by removing Iron Maiden, and physical immunes are easily dealt with in a bunch of different ways, I think Frenzy is superior to Berserk.