Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frenzy in 1.10

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by plasteredkittylizard, Feb 17, 2004.

1. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

Frenzy in 1.10

Been working on a Frenzybarb, looking for opinions.

Right now I'm working with Maxxed Mace Mastery, Maxxed Frenzy, 2 points double swing, 1 point into nat resist, increased stamina, faster r/w and iron skin. 1 point into taunt. Clvl 46 at the moment.

Equipment at the moment is Shaft, Gaze, IK gloves/boots/belt, Raven Front and 7% manald, and 2x Aldurs, one with 2 p em 1 p sap, one with Eth. Using a very crap ammy (like 7 rep life and some CR).

My question is, where do I want to go from here? I have a Nos. Coil and Gore Riders saved for later, equipment wise. I'm considering using Aldurs until Baranars or Schaeffers, unless a better idea arrives. I'm in act 1 NM, and doing quiet well, but want to look forward to the end game. I know I need to up my BO, beyond that, what would you guys suggest for skill / equipment allocations and upgrades? All input is welcome!

2. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

two things it depends on:
    hardcore or softcore and your wealth.

you have the option to go for warcry, for shout or for none of both.
    the last obviously offers no defence, this can only be used with very good items, including damage reduction and even then preferably only on softcore.

the shout option still needs good items, but makes it a little more durable and with the right items, playable in hardcore.

warcry is for those that are not so rich or just want to play it safe.

warcry or shout both cost a skill to max (or nearly max) the difference is that shout is easier to play and more party friendly, while warcry offers more safety (if you dont forget to cast it)

personally i really like warcry A LOT. i am now playing a paladin, he has insane defence, max block and he doesnt get hit a lot. but i still miss warcry cuz with warcry you simply dont get hit at all. This is a hardcore point of view though.

make your choise among those options, get the skills needed (warcry / shout and bo) and all remaining points into synergy. it doesnt really matter much what synergy to put them in. double swing you most likely never use, but it can be good vs mana burners, taunt works just as well on lvl 1 as lvl 20.

sheaffers is very good on frenzier. if you have it already and you cant afford botd, no need to look for something else.

for an amulet, atma's scarab is a very popular frenzy amulet. highlords is of course also a good one.

for replacing the manald heal later on you could use wisp projector if you play hardcore, with that you wont die to the black souls. on softcore you could use bul kathos ring.

3. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

My Frenzier looks like this :

Max Mastery
    Max Frenzy
    Max Double swing
    Max BO
    1 point in the other's you would expect

Can't remember the stat points exactly, but lots of vit and a fair bit of strength.

Equip :

Demon Horn Hat
    Eye of Etlich (stop laughing plz)
    Uniqe Shadow Plate
    IK Belt
    IK Boots
    7/7 Soul Drainers
    Carrion Wind
    Rare ring, prismatic and LL
    Weapons are two Crap Masters (aka Rune Masters) eth shael amn shael and shael amn shael

Merc is a Defiance merc with Gaze, Courpsemourn and Steel Pillar Warpike. With Warcries we both have over 14000 defense :uhhuh:.

With charms, resists are about maxed in Hell and he kills pretty good. Soloed the whole game with little trouble at all. The only change I think I would like is some crushing blow, deadly strike type of action. I think if i had some unique zerkers or good zerker runewords he'd be nuts. I opted to not add extra points to warcry, though I do use it once in a while. With +skills I am at about 7 which is ok. My only HUGE gripe was AR was a problem and to some degree still is. With a few 100+ AR charms it's ok, though I would love an Arreats to help. I am proud to say that this fellow has killed Uber Diablo three times solo.

All together he's a really fun charcter and a GREAT countess runner. Frenzy, run, frenzy, run. Nice and quick. He can also act as the high speed Baal runner when there is no sorcie to tele :howdy: .

4. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Frenzy attack speed is based solely on the first weapon WIAS and IAS.
    So the majority of optimum setups should use different weapons from the same class, with the exception of dual scourges probably, cuz using a weapon with lower range causes misses

Examples

Nords Shael / Shaeffers Lo
    Runemaster ShaelShaelShaelShaelxxxx / Runemaster OhmOhmLoBer...
    Fury Legend Sword / The Grandfather OHM

And so on...

Yes, second weapon IAS DOESN´T MATTER at all, so socket properly.
    But... there is a bug about the order u equip weapons... first equip the primary weapon in the left hand and then the secondary in the right.

5. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

What are your sources of this info, because It has always been that each weapons ias where calculated seperatly..

6. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

yes please explain because if this is true I'd really love to know.

:spy:

7. wisedoor

If u doubt me, test for yourself. I am 100% sure about this.

Pick a really fast weapon with high WIAS and some IAS and put in the left weapon slot, then pick a really slow weapon like a Leg Mallet with no IAS, and put in the right weapon slot, and take a notice at swing speed. Use SHIFT + ATTACK in a open space to notice well.
    then, REMOVE both weapons
    then re-equip them inverting the order, and notice the swing speed will change drastically.
    This bug was doccumented in the old baba faq that got erased with the upgrading of the forums.

NOTE
    due to another bug, always equip LEFT weapon slot, then RIGHT weapon slot, or else the weapon effects and graphics in the character may get swapped. This bug is doccumented in the assassin faq too.
    Always equip the weapon you want to be primary in the LEFT slot and before equiping the secondary weapon.

Note that this is true also for Double Swing and Double Throw.

two equal weapons = lame, weak frenzy (but dual scourge cuz of a range issue)
    1 really fast weapon + 1 huge dmg weapon = gosu frenzy combos. There are a lot of combos that can beat almost any dual-same-weapon frenzy, even dual BOTD.

Hmm... this should be stickied.... i replied this question 6 times or so already.

8. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Wisedoor, sry for not believing you, but I've never heard of that bug, but now that Ive tested it, I see its correct ;)

9. Rafaell

Rafaell IncGamers Member

Quick, dumb questions: what are the frenzy breakpoints for IAS? What kind of IAS, and WIAS should you try to aim for to make a good frenzybarb? And what kind of damage does a decently equipped end level frenzy barb expect to do each swing?
    Using lightsabre and honor sword at the moment, with no other IAS worn, and I feel like I should be doing more damage. But I guess everyone does at one stage or the other )

10. wisedoor

no problem ;)

11. bres

bres IncGamers Member

so you saying using schafaers ( primery )
    and grandfather ( secondary ) won't be smart thing to do couse of range issue ?
    if I'll switch the grandfather for nords / baranan's that's will be better ?
    (ignore the masteries issue , I didn't touch it yet )

12. wisedoor

Hmmm
    you didn´t understood me well...

To make a good frenzy barb you must be aware of 2 things
    1. Primary weapon should be FAST. secondary doesn´t matter.
    2. Range of primary weapon should be INFERIOR or equal to range of secondary weapon, or you may miss a LOT the 2nd attack.

Shaeffers/GF is bad cuz both weapons are very slow... Shaeffers is still slower but would be better for primary cuz of the lower range, but these 2 weapons are better Secondary weapons.
    If you want to go sword route, get a Lightsabre or CMoon / Fury phase blade for primary; Phases are awesome primary weapons.
    If you want to go mace route, go with a shael Nords... Baranars has hi WIas for frenzy... Fury Tirant would be OK too. a Caddy is an awesome primary frenzy weapon... just cuz the number of runewords it can receive.... and its -10 WIas.

13. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

thanks wise you've been extremely helpful :buddies:

now go write up a frenzy barb faq!

please? :drool:

14. wisedoor

heh :)

right now i´m playing my Melee Sorcie... she´s awesome!

but soon i´ll start my own 1.10 frenzy barb... Now, i have just an idea of good weapon combos, but haven´t made an analysis of the best weapon combos... and i don´t even know if i´ll use axes, hammers or swords... My old 1.09 setup was Fury Legend / 293%ed GF... but now i am tempted to use weapons that affect the attack of the other (Doom, Beast...) or SF-casting weapons...
    A weapon i won´t use is BOTD... Even thru it is awesome for mass damage setups, i´d feel like cheating using one of these... (but there are some combos that can beat even dual BOTD PvM)
    After i get more experience w/ Frenzy in 1.10, i´ll give feedback :)

15. bres

bres IncGamers Member

thanks for all your help wisedoor

only one thing make me sad is to switch the GF for a nords :p
    I guess I'll go with the maces route