Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

frenzy barb berserk question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by kohlman, Nov 15, 2006.

1. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

frenzy barb berserk question

I am looking to make a Frenzy barb for the first time and wish to get it right so I dont have to spend the time rebuilding him.

Frenzy can be hard to control when fully frenzied (so I've heard), so wouldnt having it on left-click and holding down shift steer it to the enemy, or is it better to have it on right click and synergize it up with Double Swing on left click?

So Frenzy gets a +1% magical damage bonus per level invested into Berserk up to a maximum of 20 totaling 20%. It might not seem like much, but I'm sure that it cant be that low. Has anyone ever maxed Berserk on their Frenzy barb? Is it 20% of total damage or 20% of weapon damage?

If it is a decent amount of magical damage, would it be worth it or would it still be better to simply use Berserk if I have that much invested in it?

If it's 20% of weapon damage, is that before or after on-weapon ED%?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Right click, all the way. If you steer with Shift+Left Click, you won't attack enemies when you come into range- you'll just run around in circles a whole lot. Right click is far and away the best way to travel.

The 20% Magical Damage synergy makes a noticeable difference when dealing with PIs or Stoneskins. Your killing speed will increase, and would definitely be handy. It wouldn't be dramatic, but it'd be noticeable. You'd still use Berserk itself around OKs (because Frenzy + IM = Your Deeds Will Be Remembered), but there'd be no need to switch against casual PIs and the like.

I'm pretty sure that the Berserk synergy works like all other Frenzy ED- i.e. it works off of your weapon damage, not your total damage. What I'm not sure is whether it's added on top (i.e. you deal 120%, with the top 20% being magical), or whether it's a conversion like Magic Arrow (i.e. your damage doesn't increase any, but some of it is converted).

3. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

you want berserk with frenzy because charging up frenzy on right click and having berserk on left click allows you to kill most hell enemies faster with berserk than with frenzy due to physical resistence. a 9 frame berserk, even with a one handed weapon, does more damage per second than a 5.5 frame frenzy against the majority of hell monsters in my experience. the speed of frenzy also minimizes your risk with berserk because you can enter and escape battles very easily.

the 20% is weapon damage, added just like any other skill mod. it applies to weapon damage. so, if you have a 1000 damage weapon, you will add 200 magic damage to a frenzy attack with maxed berserk. but actually using berserk is much more effective.

if you are having trouble controlling your footspeed, switch to walk. this will also maintain your defense if you choose to attack just with frenzy.

4. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

1000 damage weapon? Do you mean after weapon ed% is added in? Cause a BOTDz has about 500 damage after weapon ed% so I'd imagine that 1000 would be hard to accomplish.

Would it be a worthwhile build to make a Frenzy Barb with the following skills:
    20 Frenzy
    20 BO
    20 Sword Mastery
    20 Berserk
    10 Taunt
    10 Double Swing
    1 point in prereqs and useful masteries (stone skin, inc speed, nat resist, etc)

I realize that this will take a while to accomplish but would it be worthwhile to but the 20 in Berserk and sacrafice the defense in Shout?

BTW, thanks for the walk idea, it will save on defense, which a frenzy barb is already lacking.

5. RibGriller

RibGriller IncGamers Member

I'm sure AccTurkey was just using 1000 as an example because it's easy to multiply with.

I'm sure you can get a thousand different opinions on whether to do a little Shout/max Berserk, max Taunt or Double Swing/1 point Beserk. I don't think any one opinion is superior to the other. It's just a matter of taste.