Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frenzy babarian IAS question.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Djunta, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Djunta

Djunta IncGamers Member

...I feel abit silly to ask this, since everybody does.

I'm going trough some gear on my different characters, and one is my frenzy babarian.

I decided to use Grief phase blade, and if I can get anyone to trade me, Death eth colosus blade.

Now I'm just kinda lost on IAS breakpoint. I tried understand the calculator (used it many times before) for my babarian, but it just kinda confuses me, where its always much easiere to use for say my merc's or whatever.

I was hoping anyone could help me: What IAS do I need to reach a sertain good BP with grief PB and EdeathCB

I have 37 IAS on my grief I'm using, and using standard highlords amu for another 20% IAS. Id like not to use laying of hands or nosferatu belt.

2. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

You are already at maximum IAS with just frenzy at level 22 or higher and the grief at 37%. I assume you've got at least +2 combat and maxed frenzy. But this is just for your phase blade. With a CB offhand, and highlord's, you're at the highest breakpoint with grief and second highest with the CB. Reaching the fastest breakpoint would take another 20 IAS with level 20 frenzy, 15 IAS with level 24 frenzy. This is if the calc is correct.

One more thing, you have to equip the phase blade first or its IAS will not count. You can play with this by re-equipping each weapon and seeing your attack speed. Notice which way is faster, and keep it equipped like that. I'm a fan of dual phase blades for frenzy because of this, I can equip whatever I want and not worry about breakpoints.

3. Djunta

Djunta IncGamers Member

Thanks man :)

4. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. The calc is only accurate if the first hit misses. Look two threads down on this forum and you'll see I had asked the same question for the same gear. Or check out the table from Onderduiker's post here.

As you can see, it's best to place your PB over your boots first, then place your CS over your gloves, called WSM-bugging. So with your current setup, you do 14 frames with hit, and 11 frames with a miss. With WSM-bugging, you'll be at the highest breakpoint 10 frames (5 frames per hit) with a hit, and you'll be at 11 frames (5.5 frames per hit) if you miss. If you really want the 10 frame attack once you've hit, you'd need 60 off-weapon IAS--actually I think you'd need 62 considering they use a 39 IAS PB, but not sure. If I were you, I'd be content with the 20 from you Highlords and make sure you bug it, otherwise you'd probably need 42 more OWIAS (likely Nosferatu's + IAS jewel in helm) for a marginal speed increase.

One other note, the above configuration (WSM-bugging) sometimes isn't stable. For instance, some people find that if they switch weapons or pick up their body, they're reverted back to PB as secondary and CS as primary, which is slower. So they basically have to open their inventory and double-click the CS to make it secondary. This is annoying, but potentially worth the inconvenience. The good news is, if you need +strength from your gear in order to equip the CS, then this problem seems to go away entirely. So for my PB/CS Frenzy Barb, since he needs the +15 str from Guillame's to equip the CS, he can weapon switch all day without having to worry about losing the WSM-bugging.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  5. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

Interesting. I thought my grief + last wish setup was slower than double grief but didn't know what could be causing it. I only used that combo on bnet though, so I didn't think much of it.