Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Frenzy advice needed

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by hmw, Nov 17, 2006.

1. hmw

hmw IncGamers Member

Frenzy advice needed

Hi there, i'm making a frenzier atm. and thought, i could use some advice about the equipment.
    Atm i'm using ik- helm, boots, belt and gloves, greyform (unique quilted armour:undecided:)manald heal and a rare amu w/ some ar and cold resi. amu is rare and gives 3 str and 4 all resi+some other mods. My weapons are bucthers pupil and a sockedet naga (not the unique) w/ some ed and +max dmg.

So... i just did hellforge quest in nm and got um rune, and from izzy i got lidless and m'avinas gloves, so i might be able to trade for some better equipment, but what should i go for?:shocked: arreat's and ravenfrost, or highlords, or oath weapon?(i'm sure i'm only able to get one though).

I can't really dicide, so this is where all you barbarian champs comes in, what do you think would improve my barb the most? i need your advice, help me!:goofy:. also please don't tell me to hit 'delete character'.

p.s. also axe, sword or mace class? i haven't put a point i mastery yet. Which would be the cheapest? and best for during ubbers(once i get going).

2. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

I would try to trade for arreats and HLords.
    Axe mastery is the best, but if you are playing untwinked, you should wait to see what you can get for the end game, and than choose.

3. scottrick49

scottrick49 IncGamers Member

IMO, the one piece of equipment (or two in a frenzier's case) that will make the biggest difference in how strong your character is, is your weapon(s).

So, it would be my first priority to create a kickass weapon. Looks like you already have the right idea with OATH (cheap, awesome dmg, fast). Now you just have to decide if you want to use swords or axes; probably axes in this case since zerker oath works very well. Now you will have one kickbutt weapon while you wait until you can afford another weapon for your offhand.

Arreats is a great item, but I think you would see much more improvement with a great weapon than a great helm.

4. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I would go with a good weapon, then Arreats with your mid runes.

The other items are easily attainable with Pgems or other lower forms of currency.

Highlords is not really necessary. Mastery already grants a lot of DS. I would go for Angelic combo, since is really cheap and will offset the loss of a ravenfrost.

5. RibGriller

RibGriller IncGamers Member

I'd get good/great weapons first, 2) Ravenfrost, 3) Guilames, 4) Gore Riders, 5) Dracul's grasp, then make a decision between Arreat's and Guillames, and Highlord's is the icing on the cake for me.

You should be able make Patriarch with Crescent Moon RW, or Razor's Edge, or upped Butcher's Pupil, to go along with an Oath. Then go for Grief, Death, etc.. GL

6. hmw

hmw IncGamers Member

Ok, i'll try to trade for better wapons tonight, i have been told that it would be possible to get 2*lightsabre for the um, how does that sound?
    Also, for the armour, lionheart or duress? i got the runes for lionheart, but that ow and cb on duress:shocked:.

7. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I'd go for the runeword weapons mentioned above, rather than Lightsabers.

If you choose to get lightsabers, they shouldn't cost more than a handful of Pgems/ low currency.

Lionheart can be a cheap and effective armor to use until you can afford something better.

8. please type username here

please type username here IncGamers Member

What would be the best weapon combo? I have two ebotds right now, but I don't know what would be the best. I'm doing really good right now, I can solo Baal and I'm only lvl 78.

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Good Frenzy runewords:

Death
    Ebotd
    Last Wish
    Beast
    Grief
    Destruction
    Eternity

For pure damage/mods, Ebotd and Death are the best combo.

10. Magical Trevor

Magical Trevor IncGamers Member

i dont know much about the runewords all i know is lvl 20 sword mastery and lvl 20 frenzy pwns

11. hmw

hmw IncGamers Member

Well, i have already started to put points in swordmastery, and i got 2*lightsabre, i also mannaged to get arreats,raven,gore,credendum,LoH, angelic ring and amu and a life tap knife, and this is without spending my um rune:shocked:, so i can get duress instead of lionheart as armour(havn't made lionheart or duress yet).
    I'm running nm travni and meph w/ great succes, already gotten gheeds.(the spped of 2 lightsabres is crazy:badteeth:)
    p.s. should i keep my 115 ar gc? w/ it i got 9k ar, i can't remember my ar w/o it.

12. RibGriller

I would personally save that space for a +skills GC (skiller). You'd get AR and Damage out of it (and +Resists for a +Masteries skiller). Although, some people really like the (Steel?) +AR GC if it has a good second mod on it.

13. psych

psych IncGamers Member

Yes Duress is a great armor, it will double your chance of crushing blow and help your defense with good resists and defense.

I would put it in an elite armor for the good defense.

14. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

For cheap and effective GCs, I use 130+AR ones to give my barb 95% to hit every non-boss monster in hell. With Demonlimb, this really helps in Uber Trist, where every single hit is a CB-triggering attempt.

15. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

It sounds like you're playing untwinked, or maybe you don't have a lot of wealth. If that's the case, your frenzy build should center around speed and leeching. Here are some easy tips:

1. Remember to put your fastest weapon on the right hand (left side of screen). Then put whatever you want on the other side. Only the speed of the first weapon will be calculated.

2. Make sure you have enough leech to reasonably survive. Its okay to pump potions in tougher areas, so just get a decent level of leech and save available item slots for other stuff. With frenzy, you just need to leech a little bit of mana per hit to keep swinging.

3. Look for weapons with crushing blow. It will let you kill monsters quickly even if the weapon doesn't do a lot of damage.

4. Balance your character. The three pillars of frenzy are speed, damage and attack rating. Think: offense offense offense. Your defense will be high enough if you Shout, so look for items with IAS, Deadly Strike, Open Wounds, Crushing Blow, added/enhanced damage and attack rating. Might and Blessed Aim mercs will help too. Of course, too much damage and no leech is not good, and remember that bigger, more powerful weapons will swing much slower. Find a good balance for yourself.

5. Look for creative ways to use your other skills. Double swing can be a lifesaver if you run out of mana. Use berzerk against physical immunes. Howl if you get swarmed by minions. Taunt will stop shamans and summoners from ressurecting their minions and get gloams and black souls to stop blasting you with lightning and come up close so you can kill them. You can use leap not only to escape danger but to knock monsters back in all directions around you. 1-point in find item will help you find a lot of extra gold against champions and unique monsters.

6. This might sound a bit confusing, but skill charms are not as useful for barbs. Skill charms are useful for characters that rely on skills for damage, like sorcs, necros, or wind druids. Generally, getting about 6-8 extra skills points from your items is enough. The extra skills from mastery and combat skill charms might look good, but they don't add a lot to your overall damage. Even the critical strike factor is not that much of a difference.

Barbs will rely more on the strength, damage and attributes of your weapon and any offensive mods you can add on. The charms that will help you are charms that add on to base damage and attack rating. (small charms with +3 to maximum damage, +19 to attack rating, or that +115 gc you have). The numbers seem small, but they are added to base stats, which is heavily weighted when the game calculates damage. A few of these will really add up.

7. As far as weapons go, 2 lightsabres is a good start. They're fast but they don't do a lot of damage. Ideally, you want to use to different weapons to get as many different offensive mods as possible. Having IAS and CB on the first weapon is a huge boost to frenzy. Then if you can stack stuff like DS/OW/Leech on the second weapon, you can supplement your damage. Some weapons have up to 70% crushing blow or 50% deadly strike. Headstriker can get up to 120% deadly strike. That means a chance to do double damage every time. If you put the slow weapon on the left hand (right side of screen), the speed is not calcuated when you use frenzy.

You posts sound like you're on the right track. I hope some of this stuff helps. Good luck in Hell!

16. RibGriller

Oh, didn't know those AR charms add to your base AR. I always thought they went on top, which didn't make sense for me to use them. I'll have to try to grab some myself.