French Woman Marries Dead Boyfriend

Anakha1

Banned
French Woman Marries Dead Boyfriend

NICE, France (AP) -- Dressed in a demure black suit, a 35-year-old Frenchwoman has married her dead boyfriend, an exchange of vows that required authorization from President Jacques Chirac.

Under French law, Christelle Demichel became both bride and widow in the ceremony, which was performed Tuesday at Nice City Hall on the French Riviera.

The groom, a former policeman identified as Eric, was killed by a drunk driver in September 2002.

Demichel told LCI television she understood "it could seem shocking to marry someone who is dead," but her feelings for him had not dimmed. His body was not present for the ceremony.

Such marriages are legal if the living spouse can prove the couple had intended to marry before the other died. The French president must also authorize it.
Linky Linky

Let the controversy begin.

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
I don´t really see any controversy here.

If she still loves him that much and they had definitive plans to get married, why not.

The vows might need some adjusting but that´s about it I think.

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
Forgetting the obvious financial advantages and apart from an emotional reason, I can think of other reasons why this might be desirable.

Children - if they had children, or if the partner were pregant.
Which leads to possible access to frozen sperm - which only a spouse has some entitlement too AFAIK.

toader

Banned
Hmm, thats kinda creepy.

Maybe the vows are different over in Nice, France. But here they say..."till death do us part." Well, hes dead, your arent married.

I think if she is truly that emotionally attached, then they should give her the title, but NONE of the financial benefits or anything like that.

Yavanna

Diabloii.Net Member
He'd have been dead for almost two years - damned if I'd kiss him, no matter how much I still loved him.

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
Maybe the vows are different over in Nice, France. But here they say..."till death do us part." Well, hes dead, your arent married.
This is just a guess, but I´d think the ceremony you use is derived from the marriage ceremony of the catholic church as is ours. We have about the same vows that you have and we´ve been protestants here since 1527. I´d bet most christian churches use about the same vows.
France is catholic, so they use the curches vows which probably haven´t changed a whole lot over the years.

Don´t you just promise to uphold those vows as long as your spouse is alive? You should be pretty free to uphold them even after death has you parted.

Anakha1

Banned
Yavanna said:
I'd rather marry a dead man than my current living boyfriend (offline, not Anakhahkana).
So you would rather marry me than a dead man? I suppose that's the best compliment I've ever gotten from a girl. :teeth:

Dross: Uphold, yes, but what if those vows hadn't been made while you were alive? You can't uphold vows that were never made.

toader

Banned
Drosselmeier said:

Don´t you just promise to uphold those vows as long as your spouse is alive? You should be pretty free to uphold them even after death has you parted.
Can you explain what you mean here....you lost me.

(I am also protestant, and I knew France was Catholic, but I didnt know if they had any government regulations in their marriages that made them different then ones here.)

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
Dross: Uphold, yes, but what if those vows hadn't been made while you were alive? You can't uphold vows that were never made.
She makes the promises and she can uphold them if she chooses. The husband intended to make the vows and that means we can safely assume he intended to honor them.

EDIT: Toader.

What I´m saying is that you promise to follow the vows as long as you and your spouse is alive. When your spouse dies you can still uphold those vows and live as you did before the death. Plenty of people consider themselves still married even though their spouse is dead.

Divorce is a definite breakup of a marriage. Death is only the end of a marriage if you want it to be. You are not obliged to live by your vows but you certainly can if you want to.

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
Phew, I was worried for a second that they might have allowed her to have a *** marriage with her dead girlfriend. That would have been unacceptable.

toader

Banned
Drosselmeier said:
What I´m saying is that you promise to follow the vows as long as you and your spouse is alive. When your spouse dies you can still uphold those vows and live as you did before the death. Plenty of people consider themselves still married even though their spouse is dead.

Divorce is a definite breakup of a marriage. Death is only the end of a marriage if you want it to be. You are not obliged to live by your vows but you certainly can if you want to.

I see nothing wrong with that. I guess its a battle of Romantisism vs Realism. Romanitism believes in a soulmate, together forever, not just when your alive. Realism believes that the vows say, "till death do us part"...spouse dead = parted.

Personally Im kinda a Romantic, I like the idea of being together forever. But if my spouse died within a short time of us being married, I would probably move on. I would take that as a sign that just maybe we werent meant to be togehter.

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think I could ever remarry if my future spouse were to die. Hell, if my current girlfriend/future wife died, I wouldn't be able to move on... I don't even wanna think about that!! :(

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
Smelly said:
I don't think I could ever remarry if my future spouse were to die. Hell, if my current girlfriend/future wife died, I wouldn't be able to move on... I don't even wanna think about that!! :(
ditto

10 chars

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
His pension. Life insurance death benefit. Spousal share in his will. Statutory elective share in his estate. Pretty smart woman if you want my 2 cents. Oh, and she may love him too. Happy Valentine's day.