Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

freeze vs shock vs fanat

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by MArvardius, May 24, 2008.

1. MArvardius

MArvardius IncGamers Member

freeze vs shock vs fanat

Hello. I made a zealot with holy freeze in SP, and I am now playing realm. I really enjoyed holy freeze, but was wondering if holy shock or fanat would be a more effective main aura. Any ideas? Also, being as this is my first realm character, I am poor as hell. So the build I choose would be best if it weren't gear dependent. Thanks! :wink2:

2. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Re: freeze vs shock vs fanat

Holy freeze is generally weaker than both. Shock VS fanat depend on what weapon you have. Generally without duped runes, holy shock with cruel phase blade with enough IAS (70%) will outdamage fanat with any cruel weapon (both will reach same speed, fanat just allows you to get fastest speed with slower weapons too (except legendary mallet which requires insane IAS to reach max speed)). The more +skills you have the better holy shock becomes, but if you have some overpowered runeword weapons and/or gear that adds physical damage in some way, fanat becomes stronger. Getting a ShaelUmTir phase blade also helps holy shock quite a lot (but makes hitting last breakpoint a little harder with only 20% IAS on the weapon).

For survivability fanat is quite better as it allows maxing holy shield after you have 20/20/20 fanat/zeal/sacrifice for much better defense, and provides much better life steal to keep you alive. If you ever want to kill ubers, fanat is very useful with maxed holy shield and 1 point in smite and crushing blow gear.

So to sum it up it's all about what kind of gear you're going to use and how you value survivability VS damage. If you're starting fresh you're probably better off with holy shock (or go completely different route and just go smite) due to fanat requiring good weapon/gear to get good damage output.

3. MArvardius

MArvardius IncGamers Member

thanks so much for the quick reply. i think i will go with holy shock because it would seem my chances of happening upon some godly gear are slim. this is a very noob question, but if i were to use smite, would it be my primary attack instead of zeal, or would it take the place of an aura? ive looked at a few guides, but i havent been able to figure this one out.

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Smite's never a good pvm skill, as it only attacks one enemy at a time and knocks them back too. Smite is best left at base, it's only used because it's uninterruptible, always hits (even ignores block) which is why it's godly for tough bosses and ubers.