Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Freeze / Smite PvP combo idea

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by OhNoMatt, Jan 31, 2004.

1. OhNoMatt

OhNoMatt IncGamers Member

Freeze / Smite PvP combo idea

Hi, since I am a PvP newb and am trying to figure out a fun and effective PvP build, I was wondering what you guys thought of this build instead of a FoH / Smite combo:

-20 holy freeze
    -20 holy shield
    -20 smite
    -20 ?

I was thinking that since FoH + conviction might be absorbable to someone with high resists, holy freeze might help more as a way to prevent people from trying to escape when I attempt to smite them. Perhaps I could get a "Beast" runeword weapon if I needed faster speed, although I don't know if fanat effects smite in the same way it does zeal...

Does this sound viable at all in PvP, or should I just go for FoH / smite? I have always enjoyed using FoH, I just don't know whether it's fairly foolproof in duels or not since I haven't been able to test out PvP too much yet.

Also, what do you guys think I should spend the remaining points in? Resist auras to up my max resists? Or perhaps cold resist, if the cold damage from holy freeze applies to hitting with smite?

2. Torkahl

Torkahl IncGamers Member

Does the Holy Freeze +cold damage to attack, add to smite?

I don't know bout this, sounds really good but you would need some pretty godly equipment if you do not use Fanat...

3. Mr.Glasscock

Mr.Glasscock Banned

It's still gonna be a little hard to catch up to people that are trying to run away, even if u have hf on them. I suppose you could try to charge+hf towards them, and then switch to smite+hf when you get close, but again that wont be really effective since as long as they run, you probably wont land a smite. What you could do is get ar or something to help your charge+hf hit. Knock them back several times until you have them in a position to smite them.

Another problem is that you're mostly melee, with just the hf to slow ranged people down. I suggest you go with charge/smite, bh/smite, or foh/smite. A lot of smite/foh pallys use their base lvl 1 hf and do quite well, since while their hf slows the enemy down they can hit them with foh, and if the enemy decides to get close, they quickly switch to smite+fana while the hf is still stuck on the opponent. But if u wanna go try your idea, go ahead, and post wat u come up with. :D

4. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

freeze won't add damage to smite. Goodluck actually killing things...

Raven-Hood

5. OhNoMatt

OhNoMatt IncGamers Member

ah, dang

i guess i will probably just go for FoH / smite then. I was hoping for the cold damage to apply to smite, and I was worried about whether or not I could really hit people with it or not.