Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Free online tax filing services

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by guspasho, Feb 3, 2004.

1. guspasho

guspasho IncGamers Member

Free online tax filing services

Last year, through the IRS website, I found H&R Block to file my federal income taxes for free. However last year I also lived in the state of Washington which does not have a state income tax. This year, however, I live in Oregon, which does, but H&R Block, while still offering to process federal tax returns for free, charges $15 for state returns. Does anyone know who offers free online filing services for state income tax returns? The IRS site is annoyingly difficult to navigate or determine whether I am even being led in the correct direction.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Gah . . . something about "free online services" and "let's input all our income figures and SSN" makes me shudder fiercely. I guess big names like H&R Block are trustworthy enough, but ergh . . . Guspasho, how complex are your returns? Do you have all kinds of renter's credits and other deductions making it tough to do by hand?

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I thought this thread said "Free Online Sex Filing Services" and I was thinking "WTF? They need me to register my sex life now? Stupid government fascists" and then I remembered that I work for those government fascists and everything was ok. Then I reread the thread title and everything was just super.

That's my story. Carry on.

4. guspasho

My taxes are about as simple as anyone's can possibly be. But the main reason I am interested is speed - last year when I e-filed online it took only two weeks to get my return, which I was told was a lot faster than if I filed by snail-mail. The problem is that unless I file both state and federal together electronically I must file my state return snail-mail. And though it did not say, I worry that this might slow down my federal return as well.

5. guspasho

Well, Anakha1, that really depends on how you earned your income last year ;)

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Uhhh... That was self-employment! I don't have to say what I was doing!! Ack!

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Gus, it shouldn't slow down your federal return at all. You should receive an email (if you haven't already) telling you the IRS has accepted your return. Last year, I filed with Turbo tax and they did the state as well for free. I tried HR Block this year and they wanted to charge me as well. I will just send it in snail mail. The paultry sum I will be receiving isn't worth the charge.

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Just to echo what Zodiac said, filing your federal return won't affect your Oregon return speed and vice versa. If you file this early, you'll be way ahead of the curve. Quit complaining and send it in ;)

What Oregon does, at least when I was there, is take you at your word when you report your federal stuff. If things aren't kosher, they'll let you know. Heck, once they sent me an extra 90 bucks because I messed up in their favor.

9. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

Man, y'all are whining at a $15 fee? I've been paying $30 every year.

10. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Instead of worrying about how fast you can get your "refund" why dont you just up your exemptions so the money isn't taken out of your check in the first place?

11. zodiac66

Most people do. Some people have what are called deductions and credits.. you cannot get them until you file. I claim 5 expemptions..but I am still waiting for my refund. I had medical bills out the wazoo (deduction), student loan interest (deduction), 2 kids (EIC and child tax credit). All these, with the exception of EIC cannot be claimed in advance.

Starfishied, why are you paying 30 dollars a year?

12. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Of course people have exemptions and child credits and the like. If you're still getting a large refund, up your exemptions again. I'm single, but claim four exemptions, and this year I had to write a check for 17 dollars to the feds. I eliminated my yearly interest-free loan to the government, and dont really care how fast my payment travels through the mail.

13. zodiac66

Even if I upped my expemptions to the max, I would still get a hefty refund.

Some people need to have their tax refund ASAP. I have been laid off for the season and have received a grand total of $657.00 since the week of Christmas. I need that refund now, not in 6 weeks via snail mail.

14. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

That's what my tax preparer charges me. Sucks ha?

15. zodiac66

Did you get your refund yet? Mine is slated to hit my account Friday. Good thing, I have a long list of stuff I would like to buy.

16. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

You got to Cal Poly Pomona?!

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

my friend goes to cal poly pomona, say hi to him for me