Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Free Duke Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bordillo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

Free Duke Lacrosse

I was watching the 60 minutes special on this whole case and basically I have come to the conclusion that the DA deserves to have his testicles smashed in front of his children, and that if both strippers had been white than this fake rape story would have never been created.

Thoughts from anyone who saw this 60 minutes

2. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Us North Cakalakians are just rich people that abuse others.

3. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

I saw this, but it was old news (apart from the interviews with the accused players).
    I especially enjoyed the interview of the one stripper who has changed her story three times, who now just wants the truth to be known.
    The DA used this case to further his cause in the election, we all knew that (or should have if we were paying attention).

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I didn't see the show, but I see previews for the show.

Your report on the content of the show seems to confirm what I've read / seen over the past months about how shoddy the evidence has been against the Duke players.

I sincerely hope justice is done. IMHO, the only thing worse than letting guilty people go free is convicting those who are innocent.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I've got a great idea, let's do the court's job for them and decide the outcome of a rape trial in the comfort of our living rooms.

6. pancakeman

There is no real evidence, the one witness keeps changing her story, the whole trial is a joke. OJ allllll over again...

7. Talga Vasternich

So we can't talk about a case that's pending?
    Are you saying there can be no opinions formed, right or wrong, before the jury comes back with a verdict?
    Other than spam, what was the point of writing what you wrote?

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't say you couldn't talk about it, but rape cases are notoriously difficult to decide and coming up with an opinion as conclusive as:

"the DA deserves to have his testicles smashed in front of his children, and that if both strippers had been white than this fake rape story would have never been created."

Without being on the actual jury is just silly. Witnesses changing their stories in rape cases is quite a common thing, trauma can easily (and in fact almost always does) cause people to have a distorted memory of events. It's inconclusive, and I dare say anything that could've been in that 60 minutes special would also have been.

9. Talga Vasternich

Admittedly, the OP was a bit on the harsh side. Opinions can be like that.

To the witness testimony...it's a witness, not the victim. How traumatized can one be by something one didn't see (self-admision on her part)?

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh, my mistake - I thought the stripper in question was the victim.

11. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

There was considerable evidence in the OJ case, unlike this one.

The DNA evidence is the weighty evidence that comes to my mind.

Kato (spelling?) and Mark Furhman made it a carnival, though.

12. pancakeman

I meant that the case will be paraded around until everyone just wants it done, and a rightful decision by the jury will undoubtedly be debated for years.

13. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

yea but with Oj it was pretty much assumed that he was guilty by the evidence. I mean in this case the line up the D.A. used was illegal, none of the players have been interrogated, 2 of the players have physical evidence of not being at the house when the stripper claims to be raped. I just dont get it and feel bad for these kids, a lot of their futures have been tainted/ruined

14. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

Id also like to add that all of the players have been cleared on physical evidence as well

15. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

The idea that the jury should decide is fine and good, but there IS a procedure in place for what has to happen BEFORE it gets to that level. The Jury is just one step in the process.

16. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

I really dont even think there should be a trial after that 60 minutes special

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yes, all court cases should be vetted by current affairs programs before they make it to court.

18. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

It goes like this:

Government officials have to follow the rules, and the Media is one way we find out if an official is not following the rules; this is it's job, more or less. The media is 100% in the rights for reporting his handling of this case (pre-trial) which, best case scenario, was incompetant.

19. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Uh, yes, they might've been incompetent. That is where the validity of Bordillo's argument ends and dondrei's start. Even if the judicial system itself, not only the particular court process, would be faulted, it should not be circumvented, for as an independent actors (the interpretators of the law) the trials are an important part of the division of power. Believing that "there should not be a trial", even if the process has gone sour, is belief in that vigilantes should roam the streets, taking the roles of the jury, the judge and the prosecutor all at once.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Of course they should be reporting on these things, but if you think you can accurately judge whether or not there is a case in it when it's such a difficult charge (as rape always is) based on a clip from a current affairs show then you need to get more Omega-3 in your diet.