Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Freaky Builds plz

Discussion in 'Classic' started by belladonna, Jun 27, 2005.

1. belladonna

belladonna IncGamers Member

Freaky Builds plz

lol i am new to these forums so bear with me. Basically after building ever one of the main builds, u know the ones i have become quite interested in the unusual. I would firstly like to thank for that the post on the jabber :p she is currently pwnin most melee llds. i was thinkin about makin a pvm nec and was wondering what damage mages actually do? And if lower res would signifcanly increase there damage. a pure mage nec perhaps or maybe an attraction nec (not sure what the main attack for an attraction nec would be though perhaps psn).

Also if u have any ideas for other unusual chars plz inform me on the build u used.

2. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

"Crybaby" Barb

I was thinking awhile back of a barb whose main attack war cry (the warcry skill that does damage and stuns enemies). The strategy would be to lower defense with battle cry and then "attack." Using probably as many +skills and highest def possible. Im not sure the dmg would be high enough for a build like this.

Since War Cry's synergies are Howl, Taunt, and Battle cry, the skills for this build would be:

20 war cry
    20 Howl
    20 Taunt
    20 Battle Cry
    The rest into Iron Skin; but minus 1 in leap

items would be: Tarnhelm, 2x +2 barb skill swords ( or 1 +2 sword and a sheild with good to-block), Twitch i guess (If you are using a sheild), or a good ornate. A +2 barb 20%fcr good life/vit ammy. Gloves could be anything with life/fcr/fhr, maybe bloodfist. Boots could be gorefoot for the +2 to leap.

I've made all the calculations, and battle cry reduces defense by 44%, and the damage is around 600-700, and I believe it is considered physical damage.

Stats would be all vit.

(NOTE: A lot of this could change if someone informs me that fcr does not work for warcries)

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

UPDATE: With adding 2x sojs, and battle command, that brings the skills to lvl 29, and the damage to 1058-1104, and the defense reduction to -106%.

And yes, I am insane. But now that I think about it, lowering defense with Battle Cry wouldn't do anything, seeing as I don't think you have a "chance to hit" the opponent, but trather it "just works." But Battle cry is a synergy, and it also lowers their damage, too.

3. CoopMoe

CoopMoe IncGamers Member

i thought +skills didn't help synnergies...

4. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

It doesn't, and I had to recalculate that a few times. But If you add a point in a skill that has the synergies maxed, the damage (or whatever is going up) will go up with the added percentages, if I am correct. If the synergies did go beyond the max of 20, the damage would be around 1.4 or 1.5k.

5. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Yahoo! Alterno Builds...

Two very interesting posts above. Mostly cuz these are the two "Different" builds I made this ladder, to smashing success.

First, the pois nova necro. I have a complete classic build post on this, last post on 5-30-05 (go to the red 'Search' feature above, then "Advanced Search": keyword -choose title only post- is "poison nova" and choose ONLY the classic forum on the right hand list.) Mage necros use bonespirits/ spears or poisnova. Only lower res boosts damage of any mage necros. Most bspirit necros use decrep to slow monsters and help the melee players kill them. But lower res cursing necro helps all sorcies, foh pallys, lightn/pois zons and, of course, POISON NOVA. It will about double their damage. Attraction is a good skill to use in emergency situations, but without lowres (u cant use 2 curses at once...) poison will be a slow killer. Probably bspears and corpse expl would be good with attraction.

Warcry. I have a COMPLETE pvm warcry classic build guide buried in the 'pvp warcry barb' post from about a month ago. From my and other peoples vast exp with this build, ur setup is somewhat out of kilter. First, bcry wont help warcry since it gets thru any defense and shield, and we have no damage redux gear here in classic. But bcry is a GREAT skill that u will have MAXED so use it!! Forget about iron skin, with 80 skill points, where the hell u gonna get points to spare for that skill, which u dont need anyway since u got warcry and bcry. Go the rest with: one in leap and leapattack, and a big wad in battle orders, and one each in natres, ironskin, and maybe fasterrun.

Warcry gear. Yeah, much of what u suggest is what I and others thought at first. Trouble is, even with 25% higher damage, u are casting warcry SLOW! so speed it up with shards, and dump the shield when u get some good resist rings or ammy, or on the belt or boots. Helm: psapp or pskulled for the MANA. Mana and fastcast are King and Queen in warcry. Gorefoot is a good choice, although one lousy skillpoint in leapatt gives u total mobility, and then find boots with 30%frw, big +mana, dual resists. U only need a +2 barb ammy, 10% fcr + resists, this maxes the fcr speed. Soj is nice, but dont forget resists, a +50-60 mana ring with +life or decent resists may keep u alive, despite the higher damage with an soj.

Both my chars with these builds shot up to near the top of their char ladders, the warcy barb has died about 9 times total getting to lvl 91 softcore. He is very useful in cs runs. No monsters in the cs are poison immune. :drink:

6. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

@belladona: yes, jabbers own :)

I have made a skeleton mage necro on classic, and it is slow in some areas obviously but it is safe and it can solo hell w/o 2 much frustration.

Just get max fire/lightning resist, as much + skills as possible and have fun

@fearlessone: war cry barbs are safe and fun but their killing speed pales in comparison to even a lvl ~50 hammerdin. Id make a holy bolt paladin over this anyday, which is even more unique and powerful.

And about your psn nova necro, i have tested it, it is very safe and can solo with ease, although in p8 hell games the killing speed is bad, at least in hell cs which is almost the only area in the game i am intersted in.

Fred

7. eggo

eggo IncGamers Member

I have a Holy Fire/Shock Pally in progress..currently owns Act1 normal :D

8. fredsta54

hmm freaky builds eh?

holy freeze//holy shock ranger. It works, and is viable, just be prepared to cry about your awful ar once u reach lvl 85.

PvM necros on classic are rare, and fun. Pvp poison zons. Lightning sorceresses. er, i can probably think of lots more but nature calls

Fred

9. PetePizza

PetePizza IncGamers Member

Building a Storm Ranger right now. Currently clvl 30 and running norm River and CS. Armed with Wizendraw currently main aura is Holyshock, it's fun to never run out of arrows.

I get some dumb comments from time to time, like "OMG bowadin sux" but, whatever. Fighting through the CS alongside a hammerdin and a strafazon is serious fun.

Hey fred, what do you consider good gear for a Hellbound ranger?

10. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

My favorite build is a holyfire ranger using a raven claw, does nice damage and people seam to think your a noob, but is interesting. What bow would a storm ranger use, and that is holy shock/ holy freeze right?

11. fredsta54

well, i have tested several difirent combinations for hell storm rangers and the most succesful one was:

angelic ammy and 2x angelic rings (because your ar is bad)
    tarnhelm (your only +skill)
    twitchthroe and deaths combo (to achieve 9fps)
    rogues bow (extremely fast and resists//ar)
    30 r/w boots with high lightning and fire resist

definately max out holy shock n synergies before holy freeze. Holy freeze is more of a backup, against lightning immunes.

lvl 21 holy shock synergized does 4k damage max, which with a 9 fpa ranged attack can dish out some damage.

Resistances are not a big problem b/c, using this setup you can place every point into vitality, giving you 1.6k+ life at lvl 85. As long as fire and lightning resists are posotive youll be ok. Just pick em off at the edge of your screen

Fred

12. belladonna

belladonna IncGamers Member

Since you where talkin about rangers i thought i should add this rather neat build, although its requires a friends help. Basically what we did was he built a chanter and i built a din with convic. Entered a pvp game he chanted my raven bow and with convic on pretty much destroyed the game.

Another din build i saw a while back was a holy shock dagger thrower he had tonnes of ias and did pretty well for himself. I guess with those 3 auras (hshock,hfreeze,hfire) any number of builds are possible.

Fredstar did u use lower resist as the main curse with skeleton mages and maybe some revives to raise fallen mages.

13. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

ya.. dagger thrower... I always thought that might work pretty good cuz you can use a shield still.
    correct me if im wrong but you don't need any AR when using raven bow do you? it never seems to miss for me.

14. fredsta54

Ravenclaw would be a good choice if i were to use holy fire, but holy fire sucks past nm, and lightning and cold damage wouldnt autohit w/ ravenclaws splash damage.

So im 100% sure ravenclaw is a bad bow for a holyshock//holy freeze ranger.

@belladona: the basic build for a lord of mages necro is

max skel mastery
    max skel mage
    ~5 pnts to lower resists (you can increase this for a bigger radius to make it look cooooooolll)
    1 to rest of summoning skills
    Max CE
    And as for the spare points, i personally invested into firegolem. If you plan on soloing you will have to have some initial way of gathering corpses (you cant use a merc) I used firegolem, along with LR, he can take out the weaker enemies with ease. He is also a great tank. You could also use bone or psn skills to get the intial body, but i think firegolem is superior.

For your gear, +%maximum mana, + skills, and fire and lightning resist are superior. Fhr, psn and cold resist are not so important due to the army in front of you. Hell, ill even go as far as suggesting sigons shield for its large block and + skill

Perfect gear in my eyes would be

frostys
    2x sojs
    +2 priz necro ammy
    sigons shield
    +2 nec wand with resists, + to mage and mastery, fcr isnt nessecary.
    goldskin? dare i say silks? i dont wanna say silks but itd probably be more useful than a 24 fhr life tri resist armour.
    Nightsmoke is cool
    r/w fr/lr boots are ideal

w/ lvl 30+ mages and mastery, you will be able to solo hell no trouble at all, and you wont have to worry about ar problems like fishymancers do.

Fred

15. Fearlessone

Is a fire golem viable with, i suppose lower res curse, in late hell for getting that first corpse? My necro used a nice naga+amp as a meleemancer before 1.10 to get the first corpse, worked beautifully thru hell csruns.

The 'good old days' in 1.08 and 1.09 for rangers, before the hitpoints and physical resistances climbed, u could kill with fan + a nice bow in a reasonable amt of time thru late hell. And a ranger in Nm diablo runs was godly!!!

Hmm....enchanting a rangers bow, now thats something I never thought of, maybe there is hope for my old ranger now. He still has a nice wad of skill points to spend, and conviction looks good for the party. Problem with hell/hell rangers would be the high hitpoint fire immunes: doom knights, venom lords. But they would work nicely against oblivion knights and storm casters.

Still, the choice of bows u guys make seems to be puzzling. And u act like u are killing monsters so fast that life regen isnt important and the necessary poison damage needed to counteract it isnt talked about either.

16. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

pure static sorc. theyre actually kinda decent support chars especially in cs runs

cant kill anything on their own though.

17. fredsta54

thats just stupid

18. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

"

what you mean by pure static?
    that's only 20 skill pts.. you have plenty of other skill to finish them off with.

19. Fearlessone

You dont even need 20 to do extremely well with static, 10-12 points + skills can make u very powerful in cs or cow runs, or any game for that matter. So that leaves 40-60 points for full synergy in 'something' + lots of skill points left over for warmth, mana shield, whatever...

It's amazing that only perhaps 20% of sorcies have a good level of static. The rest have only one point and are too frady-cat to get close enough to do any damage, they wait till diablo to use it, if even then.

20. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

you then put the rest of your points into whatever you want but just keep static as your main attack (pretty much put into the armors,warmth,tele,maybe even enchant)

like the thread says its a bizarre char. but i have seen sorcs use static alone in cs for 10 cs's strait